#MeltdownMode (Decision making help wanted)

All advice welcome! 

I have two choices left. It may seem like an easy call, but I'm in complete meltdown mode, and the advice I'm getting is different from all of my peers and mentors. 

University of Illinois (ranked #26)

PROs

-Fellowship (first year) 

-TAship (subsequent years) 

-Queer studies minor

-Great people, such as Tim Dean

CONs

-I don't want to be pressured into pursuing their PhD. It is important to me to get my PhD elsewhere. 

-I've visited the midwest and it's just not my thing. However, it's way more affordable. 

-Large school

Georgetown

PROs

-Tuition waiver 

-Flexible program

-Great reputation

-MA only

-Located in a great city

-Smaller school

CONs

-Waitlisted #2 for TAship (there are only two spots) AND I won't know anything until after 4/15. Neither of the initial offers have responded. 

-No minor

-More expensive city

Both schools are great, of course, and I've been incredibly lucky this season. However, the big day is upon us and I just don't know! As a poor, first generation student from a conservative Maine family, I feel this great pressure to make something of myself, and I worry that's clouding my judgment. :):)

Edited by Gray Under Gray

I'd follow the money. Especially since you also mention that you liked the people and they have a minor you want, it seems like an easy choice. I sympathize with the location issue, but it's only two years, not five, so I would put less weight on that and more on getting yourself in the best position for PhD applications -- which includes not going into debt for a degree in the Humanities. 

Caveat: were you accepted into the PhD program? Would you have to Master out to leave for another PhD program, and do you know that that's possible? There's a risk of burning bridges that you should watch out for if you go down this route. 

6 minutes ago, fuzzylogician said:

I'd follow the money. Especially since you also mention that you liked the people and they have a minor you want, it seems like an easy choice. I sympathize with the location issue, but it's only two years, not five, so I would put less weight on that and more on getting yourself in the best position for PhD applications -- which includes not going into debt for a degree in the Humanities. 

Caveat: were you accepted into the PhD program? Would you have to Master out to leave for another PhD program, and do you know that that's possible? There's a risk of burning bridges that you should watch out for if you go down this route. 

I was admitted to the MA/PhD track. However, I only applied to the MA. I would have to complete the courses necessary for the MA and then get faculty approval to continue on in the PhD program. However, the MA is strictly a series of courses. No capstone or thesis. And when I visited I got the vibe that it's sort of expected that you'll continue on with their PhD. To quote a member of the faculty, "Why wouldn't you continue? Funding is guaranteed!" Additionally, I was told that only one person in the last ten years has stopped after the MA, of course who knows if that's accurate... 

Edited by Gray Under Gray

It's a tough call. Were you assured of funding at Georgetown (as opposed to just a tuition waiver, which is still a major boon), I would say Georgetown hands down. There are no rankings for MA programs, of course, but if there were, I wouldn't be surprised if Georgetown was ranked quite high. Being in the greater D.C. area, I hear nothing but great things about their program, and I also hear occasional whispers that they might be getting a Ph.D. program in the not-too-distant future.

D.C. is a very expensive city, however. It's not New York or San Francisco...but it's not far behind. You'll almost certainly need to have a roommate (or multiple) regardless of whether you get funding over and above your tuition remission.

Of course, in D.C. you also have the Folger, the Library of Congress, the various Smithsonians, and pretty much any highfalutin resource imaginable.

I'm not trying to steer you toward Georgetown, but since I know the city and know the program's reputation, I can definitely say that it could be a great option!

On 4/13/2017 at 7:10 PM, Old Bill said:

It's a tough call. Were you assured of funding at Georgetown (as opposed to just a tuition waiver, which is still a major boon), I would say Georgetown hands down. There are no rankings for MA programs, of course, but if there were, I wouldn't be surprised if Georgetown was ranked quite high. Being in the greater D.C. area, I hear nothing but great things about their program, and I also hear occasional whispers that they might be getting a Ph.D. program in the not-too-distant future.

D.C. is a very expensive city, however. It's not New York or San Francisco...but it's not far behind. You'll almost certainly need to have a roommate (or multiple) regardless of whether you get funding over and above your tuition remission.

Of course, in D.C. you also have the Folger, the Library of Congress, the various Smithsonians, and pretty much any highfalutin resource imaginable.

I'm not trying to steer you toward Georgetown, but since I know the city and know the program's reputation, I can definitely say that it could be a great option!

GT is calling it a "scholarship" and saying that "the English department will pay tuition for two years." 

Money is really important, and as has been pointed out, living expenses can really add up.

However, it doesn't really sound like a terminal MA is on the table at UIUC. If it's strongly discouraged (to the point that only one person has done it in ten years), you might rub some faculty the wrong way if you really want to leave-- which wouldn't put you in a good position. If going elsewhere really is that important to you, I'd say definitely go to Georgetown. 

Edited by urbanfarmer

I can kind of chime in, here, since I went to a large Midwest English MA/PhD program, and came from decidedly not the Midwest. I am also leaving my MA/PhD program to pursue something elsewhere:

1. Generally, it's more about the individual professors' attitudes than the program as a whole when it comes to leaving to pursue a PhD elsewhere. You just need letters of recommendation, so if you can find three professors to write you letters, you'll be fine. You can always try to float the idea past a few  and see what they think. That's what I did. Nobody encouraged me to do one thing or another. I just asked around for letters from former profs. What I'm saying is that a department is composed of individuals, and individuals have different ideas about things than the department culture as a whole. I can't imagine somebody turning you down when you ask them for a letter after doing good work because "That sort of thing just isn't done around here!"

2. I assume that people don't leave the MA program at Illinois because it's discouraged, but in part because you're already at #26, with incredible resources. The chances for real prestige/resource improvements are kind of slim. You would have to apply to top 15 only (not counting movement for fit, just prestige) for your move to be worth it, right? And even with an MA from Illinois and a stellar application (like I'm sure you'll have) those are always going to be slim odds.

3. The Midwest is dirt cheap. This is true and it matters.

4. WHAT I THINK IS ACTUALLY MOST IMPORTANT: When application season rolls around, you might be thanking your lucky stars that you have a guaranteed spot at a prestigious program and can focus on applying to Top 10 or 15 programs. Because if you don't get in to a Top 10, you'll still have a PhD from Illinois, and that's nothing to scoff at. With Georgetown, you won't have that guarantee. Which means that you might have to apply to a few more "safety" (I know, there's no such thing) schools (like Illinois), and if you're shut out, then you have no back up plan. When I was applying, having a PhD locked in made me much more confident and let me focus on only applying to my absolute, 100%, no-nonsense dream schools.

Sorry if this just gives you more to stress about! I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

In terms of potentially "burning bridges":

You mentioned that you only know of one person within the last 10 years who stopped after the MA? Do you know how many people have an external MA and have been accepted into Illinois? "Most of our Ph.D. students have received their M.A.s at Illinois," it sounds like 1)The MA degree is required 2)External M.A.s are only accepted depending on how many with Master degrees from Illinois goes elsewhere. It be interesting to see if people with external Master degrees could bring you to a number that might be closer to the real number of people leaving after obtaining a Master's.

" We offer admission to approximately 40 students per year applying to the M.A. in Literature program and to approximately 5-10 students in three other programs: the Ph.D. in Literature, and the M.A. and Ph.D. in Writing Studies." This wording makes it seem confusing. If half of the 40 accept, does that mean that only those admitted get accepted into the PHD?

Illinois and Georgetown are both well-respected institutions. At the MA level, ranking doesn't matter. On the PHD level, ranking might matter a little bit more. However, if you'd be miserable spending an extended amount of time somewhere, I think that's also something to be considered. What specifically about the midwest turns you off? Why is the minor important to you?

Do you know what the stipend would be at Georgetown? I think DC usually ranks in the top 5 most expensive cities in the US. What specifically about DC can it offer you? Can you afford the lifestyle you'd like based on their offer? Do you think you can do everything you'd like to do in DC in 2 years while still being able to keep on top of your coursework? Are you comfortable with the fact that you'd most likely be living with 1-2 roommates?

I agree with @fmd on this one.

I'd recommend Georgetown, mainly because you got a tuition waiver. May I ask how you went about receiving the scholarship? I plan on attending Georgetown next fall as well, but I'm currently unfunded and would love a little help with tuition. 

1 hour ago, TerryHakase said:

I'd recommend Georgetown, mainly because you got a tuition waiver. May I ask how you went about receiving the scholarship? I plan on attending Georgetown next fall as well, but I'm currently unfunded and would love a little help with tuition. 

@TerryHakase  You should immediately contact Jessica Marr and discuss what your options are. I don't know about scholarships but there are several other avenues to gain a tuition waiver at Georgetown, including but not limited to working at the Centre for Social Justice. I believe that many new positions are being announced as we speak.