BIO, PHYS/CHEM, SOC, STATS Before Grad School

Hi Everybody,

I was recently admitted into CSUF for the Postbacc program. I have taken a biology, a physics, and a sociology class during my undergrad years. However, my grades were average for these courses. :( Will these affect admission decision for grad school? Will it be calculated into the GPA for application? Should I retake them during my postbacc? If so, can they just be taken at a community college to save on costs?

Please and thank you!

I really don't think so. I think they just check to set that you had them. I'm pretty sure their more concerned with your last 60 or your overall performance in the SLP/CSD courses. You can always email the schools to ask if they take the grades of those prerequisite courses into account for admission (without telling them what you got in them or disclosing that you've already applied, etc) 

Some schools have a grade you have to meet (usually a B or B-) for these prerequisites. Others don't have requirements (Personally, I would not retake them if I was applying to schools that didn't). You will need to contact your programs to find out.

From what I remember, a few schools asked me specifically what I got in Chemistry and Statistics. My Chemistry course was taken years ago during my freshman year and I got a C+. Stats wasn't taken till after the application cycle. I believe they were more concerned about my last 60 credits. As mentioned above, some schools do require a certain grade and they'll state that one their website. I can ultimately say, it didn't affect my acceptances. 

Edited by Louly

I'll never forget my Biometrics teacher walking up and saying "Pass-Fail, huh?" as he handed back my graded mid-term exam. I had switched to Pass-Fail the day before, the last day to do so, out of certainty that I would not do very well. I looked at the exam. It said 100%. I wanted to fling myself off the roof. I got 90% on the final, for a solid A grade if only I hadn't switched! :o

Now I may have to take it over again if grad schools won't accept the Pass.

23 hours ago, plume said:

Some schools have a grade you have to meet (usually a B or B-) for these prerequisites. Others don't have requirements (Personally, I would not retake them if I was applying to schools that didn't). You will need to contact your programs to find out.

Oh man. For some reason I thought ASHA required a B-, not just certain schools. I'm in the middle of retaking Bio now because I got a C in undergrad. Was I wrong about ASHA requiring a B-? 

I don't think the grades matter. I fulfilled the biology and physics/chem requirements through AP credits in high school and all the programs I applied to accepted them lol. They showed up as credit on my college transcript. I think SFSU did ask for the specific AP scores, though.

22 hours ago, angela4 said:

Oh man. For some reason I thought ASHA required a B-, not just certain schools. I'm in the middle of retaking Bio now because I got a C in undergrad. Was I wrong about ASHA requiring a B-? 

Oh, maybe I'm wrong then!

23 hours ago, plume said:

Oh, maybe I'm wrong then!

I think you're right. I don't see anything on the ASHA site about grade minimums. So now I just need to figure out where I heard that. I am going to look into it a little more...it would be great if I could withdraw from my current Bio class. If the school required a B-, would they say so on any paperwork/the website?

On 5/29/2017 at 3:36 PM, tonguelover said:

I'll never forget my Biometrics teacher walking up and saying "Pass-Fail, huh?" as he handed back my graded mid-term exam. I had switched to Pass-Fail the day before, the last day to do so, out of certainty that I would not do very well. I looked at the exam. It said 100%. I wanted to fling myself off the roof. I got 90% on the final, for a solid A grade if only I hadn't switched! :o

Now I may have to take it over again if grad schools won't accept the Pass.

Ugh that must have been so frustrating! 

On 5/29/2017 at 10:17 PM, pbandj said:

I don't think the grades matter. I fulfilled the biology and physics/chem requirements through AP credits in high school and all the programs I applied to accepted them lol. They showed up as credit on my college transcript. I think SFSU did ask for the specific AP scores, though.

I second this. I took CLEP tests and tested out of a lot my prerequisites. They just go on your transcript as transfer credits and therefore do not have grades.

• 4 months later...

Hi Everybody,

So I had emailed Dr. Flint from CSULA about this situation a while back. She noted that every program is different, but majority will take a look at both grades in Communication Disorders and undergraduate courses. Although the science grades will count, it will only be part of the undergraduate GPA. In other words, even if I were to retake these courses for higher grades, my undergraduate GPA would not change. Furthermore, programs tend to look more into the COMD GPA rather than the UG GPA. In short, she suggested not to repeat these courses.

Thanks for the input, everyone! Hope this helps someone else out there.