-
Posts
648 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
11
Everything posted by SocialKonstruct
-
My younger sister went to Harvard for her undergraduate and I loved Harvard Square quite a bit. Boston area is still very pricey however. My fav place there- https://www.harvardsquare.com/venue/newbury-comics/
-
Wow, that is a total insult to New Haven. New Haven is a great city and granted I think a lot of folks mistake ethnic diversity as it being ghetto which isn't the same. In fact there is a vibrant scene outside of the Yale campus. I REALLY miss the old school days at Toad's when I attended the wonderful hip-hop concerts there.
-
Honestly I have really very little insight. I am just a second-year undergrad so I don't apply for at least another 1.5 years. I did win a grant a few weeks ago here at https://www.workingartist.org/photography-award.html And basically I have been making tons of art too. I would go immediately to art school without hesitation because if my art career can survive the worst of humanity then it will thrive during the better times. What are folks putting into their artist statements?
-
We are nearing the end of the 2020 year. Has anyone had difficulties with the application process? Finding professors to write recommendations etc.?
-
Agreed. I would never work for another corporation ever again. As a former public health official, you become compromised ethically. Even in history, that would happen as well. Also I tend towards critical theory in historical applications. If history offered a good path to my research I would have pursued that route. Instead I am studying photography and combining that with my historical interests.
-
I prefer depressing poetry to be honest.
-
They accept all practices and encourage exploring combining anything together conceptually.
-
Rather well. It's a great program. I am not applying for 2 years but I am still unsure whether the program fits my type of art practice.
-
UCLA New Genres is top notch and probably the best. However much of it will be focused on rather experimental practice so traditional photography would be out. I know that SVA is pretty decent with funding and I have a friend who is at CalArts in their Arts and Tech program. However, if you want great funding I would recommend NYU Steinhardt which funds their students (every one) at 2/3 tuition as well as Rutgers!
-
Today i attended the NYU Steinhardt Open House MFA presentation.
-
Thanks... that is a huge shift... however many folks tell me that to make it in LA or NYC then going to Yale or UCLA (maybe Columbia) are the programs for kingmaking for the contemporary art world. Granted after some research many Yale graduates in photography have done super well in their careers like being featured in ArtForum or winning the Aperture Portfolio Prize. Quality is good but apparently the name of where you got your MFA makes a huge difference in where you land in the art world.
-
I appreciate your advice as I know someone from Utah right now who is attending VCU painting very happily. Apparently the advice told me was that VCU sculpture was the only thing going for it and that was off base apparently. I am curious about the VCU photography program. Hard to tell what comprises it based on the website.
-
Attended the Yale Open House for sculpture. If you have any questions about what I learned, you can PM me. Thanks
-
Eric, thanks so much for your insight. I am curious if any VCU MFA graduates were able to connect up to the NYC or LA contemporary art world/markets? Richmond looks very nice but apart from ADA gallery I am unsure about career paths post graduation from there.
-
Yes I would reapply. I could look at your portfolio and essays if you want. Then def tell you whether it is likely.
-
Thanks Eric for piping in. What is an average day like at VCU MFA? Studio life? Able to meet and make new friends?
-
With MFA programs not taking on new students, is this due to funding the MFA students or just lack of studio space? I thought that MFA programs were paid by the student themselves so mostly they could be supporting themselves without any school funding?
-
Future painting MFA applicant without BFA/BA Studio Art degree?
SocialKonstruct replied to simmodium's topic in Visual
I think that having a BFA is pretty optional if you can show through your portfolio and interview that you have a strong command of contemporary art and can contextualize your art practice and prove that you are committed to being an artist full time. -
For fiction MFA's I would suggest posting under the literary arts MFA forum for more on point advice.
-
I don't think that during this time that financial aid will be increased. In fact, many school turned down the whole class in order to keep their current students viable. So I wouldn't hope for huge money to help out with these programs during the COVID-19 era.
-
Roski is rebuilding but sadly enough their prestige has dropped a lot and they haven't gotten their mojo back like during the late 1990's and early 2000's. UCLA and CalArts are pretty much the heavyweights in the LA area. Not much else honestly apart from Otis if you do paintings. But UCLA is pretty much the largest art MFA in terms of scope and cutting edge faculty.
-
Good news! SVA just updated their class of 2022 listing here at http://mfafinearts.sva.edu/students Apparently the class size is smaller but still strong! Not every school is rejecting folks outright.
-
I would base your decision on faculty in the dept.
-
Indeed, there is a separate art education track for master's level if you want to teach. Studio art MFA's should be focused on being an artist first... teaching should be secondary or an adjunct.
-
Just so you know as a former English major I will volunteer any time to proofread any artist/personal statements here. Just e-mail me at [email protected] and I can provide feedback.
