Jump to content

CanadianSLPHopeful

Members
  • Posts

    17
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by CanadianSLPHopeful

  1. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your experience!! What was your final mark in the course, if you don't mind my asking? I'm wondering if I should invest the little spare time I have into taking this course so I can qualify for UofA next cycle, or into some GPA boosters (my ORPAS subGPA was 3.92, & I've since completed the full-year course BIOL230 with a mark of A+).
  2. Just got 2 emails today... #1 saying I'm on Dalhousie's waitlist, #2 saying UWO is full. Ugh!! Any experiences with Dalhousie's waitlist?
  3. I'm curious to know whether anyone has received an UWO waitlist offer yet?
  4. They seem to split it into thirds now and I'm in the second third!
  5. Anyway, I've started to mentally anticipate not getting off the Western waitlist although I've reached out to ask what chunk I'm on... Has anyone here taken Athabasca PSYC 302 as a prereq to qualify for UofA? How was it? I've heard it's quite hard! I want to expand my pool of possible places to apply to next cycle but am scared I could mess up my GPA! I am doing very well in BIOL230 (exam next week) and it's likely to boost my GPA but I'm afraid PSYC 302 will not be so "formulaic" to do well in. Also: any alternative recs for online courses to meet UofA's neuroanatomy requirement?
  6. Oh, is it computer science...? I think someone might be lost
  7. That is interesting, I'm not expecting a positive response from them but they haven't given me a response yet. Still "under consideration". Wonder when I will hear from them.
  8. Thanks!! I've been scouring these old threads for any info about waitlist movement in past years although I know it doesn't necessarily determine this year's outcome... this is my one shot and I really hope it comes through!! It's so hard to find volunteer positions compatible with my work that I'm considering the CDA program just as a failsafe...
  9. Just curious ... is anyone planning to reject Western's offer? Looking for some hope about waitlist movement!
  10. Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I think it's probably a better idea for me to just look into volunteer opportunities that can start when my field season ends. For me being a CDA was always just a step on the way to becoming an SLP, it's not really an end-goal for me, so if I can continue to work and live my life while upgrading my CV for SLP programmes it's a better option. But securing volunteer opportunities compatible with my current way of earning a living is such a problem for me that I always saw career-changing to being a CDA as a decent alternative if absolutely necessary. That way I'd have the "professional/educational/volunteer" hours necessary for U of T, for example, even without being able to secure a volunteer opportunity. BTW, does anyone know what I should do if I'm waitlisted but I still have a prerequisite in progress, once I finish that prerequisite? Can I submit my final grade to ORPAS even without any acceptances? I'm just worried about what happens if Western decides after that Jun 30 "final grade submission" deadline that they want to take me after all.
  11. To be honest, I rushed my CV and Statement of Intent. Submitted my application a month prematurely. I could've done much better. There were mistakes on both that probably downgraded me in the eyes of the admissions committees. A very long time ago I did casual volunteering at an art therapy programme for children. I tried to do an adult literacy volunteer opportunity more recently but it fell through. I shadowed an SLP for a single shift last year. Have worked as a research assistant. I have a research-based Master's in a field tangentially related. I was too afraid to go back to my old supervisor and ask her to take a look at my CV and statement until I asked for her reference and she asked me to show her! And she gave me feedback that would've been so helpful. But by that time I had already prematurely submitted my application, totally unnecessarily. I was so burnt out then, I was afraid I'd never get it done if I waited too long. The problem is that I've been out of school for a while; I have a seasonal full-time job that has very demanding hours for about 6 months out of the year. I'm not able to take up a lot of the volunteer commitments that a young undergrad can. I'd have to make a whole career change just to make them possible for me. Turning 29 this year, would like to settle down...
  12. Feeling very crestfallen. Rejected by UofT and Mac, waitlisted by Western. ORPAS Sub-GPA of 3.92 and 4th quartile CASPer. No SLP volunteer experience, just an observership, but I thought I did very well on the MMI. I don't really know how to go forward from here. Assuming I never get off Western's waitlist, I can choose to invest the next year in getting volunteer experience (starting in the fall due to my seasonal job) or do a CDA program (have acceptances from several). If I start those in Sept/Oct, neither will count for much in December 2026 when I submit my next app. Any advice from those who have been there?
  13. If I have an existing U of T account and haven't received an "Invited" on ACORN by now, is it safe to say I'm a no...? I realize there are no true answers til April 1st, but it's got me on edge!!
  14. I have just sent them an email enquiring about this, as I assume today is the last day they would be sending out the timeslots if they stick to "end of February"!
  15. I got one as well at 3.92! Finding it hard to know what to expect ... I did well on the CASPer for UWO's admissions but I don't know how similar or different MMI will be!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use