How do practice test scores compare with your real ones?

kjack99

Last year I took a free practice test on CrunchPrep (before doing any study for the GRE) and got 147V / 155Q / 4.5AWA. I was going to start studying then so I could take the GRE pretty early and get it out of the way, but didn't really end up doing that. Aside from studying a little bit of vocab on and off with the Magoosh app, I haven't done much yet. So I just took another diagnostic practice test to double check where I'm starting at again using one of the free PowerPrep ones. Interestingly, I got 156V / 154Q on that one. My Quant obviously is about the same on both but my Verbal on the PowerPrep one is surprisingly higher.

I'm wondering if anyone has done the PowerPrep AFTER doing their studying and shortly before taking the real test and how good of a prediction it was of your real score. Ay feedback on how either of these tests compared to your real scores would be appreciated! I'm just trying to gauge how heavily exactly I need to study for Verbal since there's a big difference in the two practice tests.

There was a forum topic about this question, so I'll leave a link to that here: https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/38585-practice-gre-scores-vs-real-gre-scores/

My own scores on the PowerPrep tests, taken one and two days before, were very close to my scores on the actual GRE.

PowerPrep 1: 170V/160Q

PowerPrep 2: 169V/157Q

Real GRE: 169V/160Q/5.5AW

On 1/10/2018 at 7:07 PM, LookingforMM said:

There was a forum topic about this question, so I'll leave a link to that here: https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/38585-practice-gre-scores-vs-real-gre-scores/

My own scores on the PowerPrep tests, taken one and two days before, were very close to my scores on the actual GRE.

PowerPrep 1: 170V/160Q

PowerPrep 2: 169V/157Q

Real GRE: 169V/160Q/5.5AW

Sorry I hadn’t caught that thread before I posted! Thanks though that’s very helpful :)