POI out until after the deadline -- WWYD?

Piagetsky

The prof I'm interested in at Carleton (Dr. Maggi) is out on leave and won't return until after the deadline has passed.  Anyone know if she's taking students this year?  If you were me, would you apply and gamble the $100, or just skip it?  There aren't any other profs at Carleton doing work I'm even remotely interested in. 

54 minutes ago, Piagetsky said:

The prof I'm interested in at Carleton (Dr. Maggi) is out on leave and won't return until after the deadline has passed.  Anyone know if she's taking students this year?  If you were me, would you apply and gamble the $100, or just skip it?  There aren't any other profs at Carleton doing work I'm even remotely interested in. 

I'd email the grad coordinator, Etelle, to ask. She'd probably have a good idea if Dr. Maggi is taking students or not. 

4 hours ago, 8BitJourney said:

The best thing would be to email the department as they normally have some say in whether faculty can take a new student that year.

I tried that -- they don't have that info :(  Said I have to contact the prof directly.

10 hours ago, FacelessMage said:

I'd email the grad coordinator, Etelle, to ask. She'd probably have a good idea if Dr. Maggi is taking students or not. 

She is soooo nice!  I really, really appreciate the suggestion!

2 hours ago, lewin said:

Did you email the prof? Most people check email even on leave.

Multiple times.   Auto reply that says "I will not be checking mail so email me when I get back at the end of January..."  or something to that effect.

14 hours ago, Piagetsky said:

Multiple times.   Auto reply that says "I will not be checking mail so email me when I get back at the end of January..."  or something to that effect.

Oof.  I feel for you then. Also I personally find that policy bizarre unless it's a parental or health leave. Geez, you still check your email!