Will mislabeling my resume affect my chances of admission?

laekkauai

Question

My application deadlines were spaced apart, and in my haste for the last two, I uploaded my most recent resume. I didn't realize until now that I had labeled that resume with the name of the first program I submitted my application for. Will this affect my chances for admission?

1 answer to this question

I seriously doubt that would affect your application at all. First of all, the application materials will be compiled by the graduate school into a single electronic record (depending on their system), and it's possible the filenames won't even appear. Secondly, even if it did appear it's likely the readers wouldn't notice something like that. And, lastly, even if they did notice they probably wouldn't care. In my experience (inside Ivy League undergrad admissions), they're decent people who give applicants the benefit of the doubt on things like that. They're not going to nix you just because you made a very understandable human error. (Of course, if there are many errors, to the point that it looks like you didn't put much work into your application or can't follow instructions, that's something different.) But they're not going out of their way to look for reasons to throw you out.