nothing, nothing, nothing

So far I've received a rejection from U Oregon according to the online status update and a mail acceptance from the Loyola graduate school. Does that mean I'm in? I can't imagine they'd be malicious enough to send a graduate school acceptance and then reject people from the English department, but I haven't heard anything from the department.

No response thus far from 10 additional schools.

So far I am 0/7 - waiting to hear from UC-Davis (pretty sure that's an implicit rejection - anyone know what's up with them?

Yeah, what's with Davis? 13 acceptances reported here. I can't imagine they are sending out any more.

And what's with Santa Cruz?

I'd like to continue ranting. But it won't help. Rejections will come soon enough.

Yeah, what's with Davis? 13 acceptances reported here. I can't imagine they are sending out any more.

And what's with Santa Cruz?

I'd like to continue ranting. But it won't help. Rejections will come soon enough.

I am 99.9% positive that Santa Cruz hasn't even begun notifying yet. Apparently they send notifications "throughout March", so that could mean tomorrow or three weeks from now. Hopefully sooner rather than later...

Also, if you wanted to call or email them about it, I found them super helpful and attentive when I contacted them while applying.

My appl status at CompLit SUNY Stony Brook has changed to 'a decision has been mailed and/or emailed to you'. Since I haven't received an email from them, should I consider this as a rejection??

Well at least I'm not sitting on nothing anymore. Got rejected from both programs at OSU and it looks like I'm going to be waiting another year. :( This wouldn't suck so much if I weren't also about to lose my seasonal position and the fact that the job situation in my city is just awful.

Well at least I'm not sitting on nothing anymore. Got rejected from both programs at OSU and it looks like I'm going to be waiting another year. sad.gif This wouldn't suck so much if I weren't also about to lose my seasonal position and the fact that the job situation in my city is just awful.

woolfie,

When did you hear you were rejected from both at OSU? My status on the applynow website still says AcademicReview.

woolfie,

When did you hear you were rejected from both at OSU? My status on the applynow website still says AcademicReview.

Just today, it's in 'reviewed' status now. I noticed someone posted a rejection a couple days ago, I think it might take a while for them to enter them all.

Well at least I'm not sitting on nothing anymore. Got rejected from both programs at OSU and it looks like I'm going to be waiting another year. sad.gif This wouldn't suck so much if I weren't also about to lose my seasonal position and the fact that the job situation in my city is just awful.

I'm so sorry, woolfie sad.gif that's terrible news. I hope you'll pull through everything and apply again next year. I'm rootin' for you.

Indeed! I'm also likely looking at rejections across the board - and it's probably a good thing. I've learned so much in the past two months that my applications next year will be a bird of a completely different feather!

Good luck! B)

This is exactly how I feel.

I am 99.9% positive that Santa Cruz hasn't even begun notifying yet. Apparently they send notifications "throughout March", so that could mean tomorrow or three weeks from now. Hopefully sooner rather than later...

Also, if you wanted to call or email them about it, I found them super helpful and attentive when I contacted them while applying.

This is my third time applying to Santa Cruz. They make phone calls in Feb. Two reports on the results page already for this year. All that's left are waitlisters and rejections.

Hollie is very helpful. But at this point last year, she was no longer willing to give out any info. Just said that notifications would come soon. Actually, this time last year, I had received my rejection.

In any case, the wait is almost over.

This is my third time applying to Santa Cruz. They make phone calls in Feb. Two reports on the results page already for this year. All that's left are waitlisters and rejections.

Hollie is very helpful. But at this point last year, she was no longer willing to give out any info. Just said that notifications would come soon. Actually, this time last year, I had received my rejection.

In any case, the wait is almost over.

I still hope that you will hear good news this year. If you don't mind a nosy question, do you have geographic limitations? I noticed that--save UCSC--most of the programs are fairly close to one another. If not (or if you'd consider breaking them for next year), it may not hurt to apply more widely. The UC programs, as I'm sure you know, are largely retrenching this year in order to maintain funding levels. And unfortunately, it seems that the interdisciplinary programs (rather than straight up English) tend to be hit the hardest--I wouldn't be surprised if many of your programs took far fewer applicants than in past years...though I suspect that this news isn't very comforting.

Also, if you're in the area, do you know if you can sit in on grad classes (even as an auditor?) at one of these programs? It seems to happen not infrequently in some of these programs--particularly if you have alumni connections, and might help you get your foot in the door during a tough season.

This is my third year of applications. My list is much more limited than it ever has been. Just making some last ditch efforts.

The UC system has a great extension program. Though not offically extension courses, as long as there is room, most profs will allow outsiders. I took a seminar on F. Jameson at Santa Cruz last spring. It was fascinating. Half the students were History of Consciousness majors; half were Lit. The Hist/Con folks could cite philosophy like it was written on their eyelids. The rest of us Lit types were much quieter. Heh heh. Not so much our discourse community.

It is March 10th and I am still sitting on 6 nothing's! What is going on? I pretty much oscillate between optimism and pessimism hourly and then there's the occasional moment where I start to think the whole application process was one bad dream. Maybe rhet/comp acceptances just come later? Or its because I applied without a masters? I don't know what to make of it... even my professors seem perplexed.

Sorry, I just needed to rant a bit and the "nothing" forum seemed like the place to do it.

It is March 10th and I am still sitting on 6 nothing's! What is going on? I pretty much oscillate between optimism and pessimism hourly and then there's the occasional moment where I start to think the whole application process was one bad dream. Maybe rhet/comp acceptances just come later? Or its because I applied without a masters? I don't know what to make of it... even my professors seem perplexed.

Sorry, I just needed to rant a bit and the "nothing" forum seemed like the place to do it.

Me too!! It looks like you applied to abunch of the same programs that I did, PSU, OSU, Purdue, all for Rhet/comp. I also applied without a master's, you think that would slow it down though? I'm getting sooooo impatient!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think that OSU has made all their decisions already, but they haven't updated my status online.

Me too!! It looks like you applied to abunch of the same programs that I did, PSU, OSU, Purdue, all for Rhet/comp. I also applied without a master's, you think that would slow it down though? I'm getting sooooo impatient!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think that OSU has made all their decisions already, but they haven't updated my status online.

It's nice to find someone in the same boat!! My thought was that decisions might be later for Masters programs than they are for PhD, but I really have no idea. I'm not sure about OSU... they definitely have extended all of their fellowship and internal acceptances, but there have only been 1 or 2 external acceptances without fellowships. My status also hasn't been updated. I was sure Penn State was done in February but there have been rumors there might still be more coming. Purdue's decisions typically come later so I'm holding out on that one.

Typically, there is a lot less competition for Rhet/Comp programs, but I have no idea how finances are affecting the number of acceptances a department can offer. Good luck! I hope we both hear soon!

It's nice to find someone in the same boat!! My thought was that decisions might be later for Masters programs than they are for PhD, but I really have no idea. I'm not sure about OSU... they definitely have extended all of their fellowship and internal acceptances, but there have only been 1 or 2 external acceptances without fellowships. My status also hasn't been updated. I was sure Penn State was done in February but there have been rumors there might still be more coming. Purdue's decisions typically come later so I'm holding out on that one.

Typically, there is a lot less competition for Rhet/Comp programs, but I have no idea how finances are affecting the number of acceptances a department can offer. Good luck! I hope we both hear soon!

I think that OSU is done; they severely cut back their program this year so I think that there were only a few external non-fellowship acceptances. I checked the website on Tuesday and saw a rejection, so I think they are slowly updating the website. I could be wrong, but I think they have made all the offers. We still have Penn State though!