nothing, nothing, nothing

anyone like me, sitting on 10+ NOTHINGS?! only one or two of my schools have notified (not me), no letters, emails, phone calls or anything acknowledging my existence in this world. i even got up the courage to call 2 of my schools today- one is probably snowed in and the other just isn't answering :( i am going from hopefulJ to hopeLESSj but quickly. </endrant>. and i'm beginning to wish i applied to the midwest/west coast. they at least get back to people!

I think it's actually a good thing to not have heard from many English departments....if you weren't an automatic rejection or accept for schoolwide fellowships, now you're still in the running and more likely to get in or waitlisted than not. Hang in there! It's grueling, but we only have 2-3 more weeks to go!!

I think it's actually a good thing to not have heard from many English departments....if you weren't an automatic rejection or accept for schoolwide fellowships, now you're still in the running and more likely to get in or waitlisted than not. Hang in there! It's grueling, but we only have 2-3 more weeks to go!!

ahh you think it's more likely in or waitlist if not rejected yet?? i was thinking i'd be a large waitlist candidate-- good scores and excellent GPA and recs but not sure about the other parts of my application.

I'm not in exactly the same position (I've got one definite "maybe"!), but I feel your pain. I spoke to two of my referees yesterday, and both thought by my gloom and doom demeanor that I had already recieved multiple rejections. They both said that it is still very early in the season and they wouldn't have been surprised if no one had heard anything from any program until March. They also reiterated that offers often do not all arrive together (oftentimes due to things like university wide fellowship nominations, mentioned above), and that they have had students in the past hear good news much later than they expected.

In other words, no news is good (miserable, painful, excruciating) news. Nothing to do but persevere.

I haven't heard anything at all. Four of my eight schools have definitely started accepting AND rejecting, but no word for me.

I know how you feel, I would like news of some sort! It is just hideously stressful not knowing what's happening with the next 5+ years of your life.

I haven't heard anything at all. Four of my eight schools have definitely started accepting AND rejecting, but no word for me.

I know how you feel, I would like news of some sort! It is just hideously stressful not knowing what's happening with the next 5+ years of your life.

tortola... i see you've applied to penn state too. some strange things going on there this year!

I'm not in exactly the same position (I've got one definite "maybe"!), but I feel your pain. I spoke to two of my referees yesterday, and both thought by my gloom and doom demeanor that I had already recieved multiple rejections. They both said that it is still very early in the season and they wouldn't have been surprised if no one had heard anything from any program until March. They also reiterated that offers often do not all arrive together (oftentimes due to things like university wide fellowship nominations, mentioned above), and that they have had students in the past hear good news much later than they expected.

In other words, no news is good (miserable, painful, excruciating) news. Nothing to do but persevere.

all my professors think i've received rejections/a summoning to the electric chair by my demeanor as well. haha. and the fact that i group rejections in with the electric chair speaks volumes on its own.

I haven't heard from any of my six schools. It's terrible. I def thought that the wait was going to be over as of this week... Also, when I look at when my schools started sending out decisions last year, I should have heard something by now. Guess not. What I'm also not looking forward to is getting like 6 rejections in just one week... That'd be so shitty!

Well, as I posted elsewhere, I emailed my professor in blind panic about four days ago, and she replied that it is still very early for English admits, that yes, there were accepts for schoolwide fellowships determined mainly by the graduate studies office based on statistics, but that most department offerings would in the main be forthcoming in the next two weeks, and that I shouldn't fret or worry until mid-March. She seemed extremely confident I would get in somewhere. Two or three days later, I got the admit from Catholic, and last night my application status at Columbia changed....so I'm going to go with, my professor is right and the English departments are just now getting down to brass tacks. :)

and last night my application status at Columbia changed....

I just checked mine and it's changed too, Medievalmaniac. It appears we are under review with the department cool.gif . I am not giving up hope until I have six official answers in my hot little hand.

~ m

Seven schools, not a word. Two implicit rejections for sure, three more probable implicits (not clear on whether they're done notifying), and one of my schools is UPenn...that leaves the sole Master's program I applied for at my undergrad school, which would be okay except I also need to win funding...and while I made it past the first round, that's the only good news I've had all year!

Woe, consternation, etc.

Seven schools, not a word. Two implicit rejections for sure, three more probable implicits (not clear on whether they're done notifying), and one of my schools is UPenn...that leaves the sole Master's program I applied for at my undergrad school, which would be okay except I also need to win funding...and while I made it past the first round, that's the only good news I've had all year!

Woe, consternation, etc.

i'm debating between two MA's should i get rejected all around (including the other more top-tier MA's i've applied to). one is a city school with links to a phd program and one is a terminal-MA at my undergrad institution. sigh.

Woe, consternation, etc.

What do people mean by "implicit rejections"? How do you know you have been implicitly rejected? Other people have been notified but you haven't? Please do tell.

So are people saying that most of the initial rejections have happened and if we haven't heard anything we're still in the running? Because I would like that to be true. Even if I get rejected across the board, I'd like to know I made at least the first cut.

haha woolfie just a TON of apps.

Ah, yes, I heard about 700 which seems almost impossible to me. I was surprised that the graduate secretary (? I'm not sure who it was) responded to an email about when we should expect to hear. And she said early April! That's pretty late, but it makes me feel better about my lack of acceptences.

Seems like almost everyone on here applied to Penn State! Anyone interested in sharing some stats? Mine will make you feel better about your app! I promise!

sure why not. 680 verbal, abysmal subject test but they didn't req it. 3.94 gpa from honors program. that's about it for numbers.

I'm still waiting on 8 schools, and I'm getting anxious because I want to be able to visit any schools I get accepted to before I make a decision, and finding out in March will mean cutting it pretty close. And is anyone else here still waiting on either Duke Literature or UIC? I'm pretty sure I've been rejected from both but WHY can't they just update my status!! So frustrating!!

I haven't heard from any of my six schools. It's terrible. I def thought that the wait was going to be over as of this week... Also, when I look at when my schools started sending out decisions last year, I should have heard something by now. Guess not. What I'm also not looking forward to is getting like 6 rejections in just one week... That'd be so shitty!

I don't know about comp lit, but I know that for BU English that they tend to notify acceptances at the very end of February, so never fear.

I know that due to having friends in the program currently :)

Good luck!

I don't know about comp lit, but I know that for BU English that they tend to notify acceptances at the very end of February, so never fear.

I know that due to having friends in the program currently :)

Good luck!

Thank you. I also have contacts there and they indeed told me that they started reviewing my application last week.