Near Eastern Studies/NELC Fall 2018

felakuti

I apologize for the delay and I hate to be the bearer of bad news- I was at Baylor's preview weekend and didn't want to post about getting accepted into another program while I was there. However, I was the UCLA acceptance into Hebrew Bible! However, I just also got accepted to Johns Hopkins' NES department! So, I'll keep you guys updated on what I know on my end. In the mean time, I've withdrawn applications for Cornell and Baylor. 

3 hours ago, Almaqah Thwn said:

I apologize for the delay and I hate to be the bearer of bad news- I was at Baylor's preview weekend and didn't want to post about getting accepted into another program while I was there. However, I was the UCLA acceptance into Hebrew Bible! However, I just also got accepted to Johns Hopkins' NES department! So, I'll keep you guys updated on what I know on my end. In the mean time, I've withdrawn applications for Cornell and Baylor. 

Welp. Silence on my end doesn't bode well for my application at Johns Hopkins. 

Congrats on such great options! I don't think there's any doubt that Hopkins has the better program.

I haven't heard back from a few schools, and they're not listed on the results page by anyone, but for some reason I'm losing all hope. Has this happened to anyone?  I know I should wait...but it just feels late to be hearing back at this point. Uff.

On 2/14/2018 at 10:28 AM, felakuti said:

I haven't heard back from a few schools, and they're not listed on the results page by anyone, but for some reason I'm losing all hope. Has this happened to anyone?  I know I should wait...but it just feels late to be hearing back at this point. Uff.

I'm with you here, I haven't gotten any interview requests at all. I'm too tense.

Nonetheless, I have decided if it doesn't work out I'm leaving the US for either Iran or Turkey, maybe even for good.

On 2/14/2018 at 10:28 AM, felakuti said:

Same here. I know I should just be patient, but I'm getting so disheartened. 

It looks like notifications for Yale had gone out. Even though it was a longshot, I'm wishing I had applied to Penn and Yale instead of Chicago and Harvard.

It's too late at this point to shift things up though. I need this Brown interview to go REALLY well if I want to do Assyriology. :/

1 hour ago, Mospeth said:

Anyone have any idea when Penn makes decisions?

I'm not sure and the results page isn't particularly helpful either. Super stressed because Penn is my number one choice but it's been complete radio silence since submitting my application.

1 hour ago, felakuti said:

I see you're in NJ, any idea whats going on with Princeton NES?

I've been told that they are aiming for early March.

I didn't apply there even though I did half my MA there as an exchange student because the two main anchors in regards to Islamic studies, Cook and Modarressi, are nearing retirement and aren't entertaining new PhDs...

Good luck to all who applied there though!

15 minutes ago, PersonaNonGrata said:

I've been told that they are aiming for early March.

I didn't apply there even though I did half my MA there as an exchange student because the two main anchors in regards to Islamic studies, Cook and Modarressi, are nearing retirement and aren't entertaining new PhDs...

Good luck to all who applied there though!

thank you so very much for that information! I noticed they had interview weekends in Feb in years past, so I was getting a little worried. 

On 2/18/2018 at 2:55 AM, PersonaNonGrata said:

Are there schools that accept students without interviewing them, or is an interview a mandatory procedure?

I got accepted to Georgetown and there was no interview or anything. I submitted my application and then radio silence until I got the email notifying me I was admitted. So not all schools do interviews.