Applying with an unrelated Master's degree (career change)

eggfish

I have both my bachelor's and master's in speech & hearing science (also known as communication sciences and disorders, or speech-language pathology). I plan on working for this field for a little while, but it is not sustainable for me. I realized I like this field in an academic sense but nothing more. 

I recently discovered public health and have been reading up on it a lot, and it sounds perfect! Especially epidemiology, biostatistics, and urban design. I regret not doing something that was more closely related to math and science, although my programs did require a lot of neuroscience and anatomy courses.

Do you think it would reflect poorly on my application to already have an MA in an unrelated field?

GRE: V 161, Q 159, W 4.5 (that's an old score - I would have to retake it). 

GPA 3.98 in undergrad and grad. 

Edited by eggfish

Are you looking at an MPH, PhD, or DrPH?

There are some programs that are MPH to PhD programs, more specifically designed for people who haven't completed much employment or coursework in public health previously. That may be your best bet.

Having an MA in an unrelated field doesn't reflect poorly, whatsoever...if anything, I would say it is a benefit. You've shown that you are strongly capable of graduate level work (given your GPA and GRE scores), which any admissions committee surely wouldn't be upset about.

19 hours ago, ianmleavitt said:

Are you looking at an MPH, PhD, or DrPH?

There are some programs that are MPH to PhD programs, more specifically designed for people who haven't completed much employment or coursework in public health previously. That may be your best bet.

Having an MA in an unrelated field doesn't reflect poorly, whatsoever...if anything, I would say it is a benefit. You've shown that you are strongly capable of graduate level work (given your GPA and GRE scores), which any admissions committee surely wouldn't be upset about.

Thanks! I'm worried about going for a PhD because I don't have research experience. It was not required for my Master's (most of my time outside of class was spent in clinical placements). 

• 3 weeks later...

I am in a similar boat. I have a MS in Counseling Psychology which was clinically based and have worked direct service vocational rehabilitation since graduation. I agree that the degree and the school makes all the difference. Schools do see the work experience and diversity as an asset, but the rejections I have gotten cited my lack of research/math/statistics as their issue. Regardless, if you argue your case in your statement of purpose and find the program that allows you to use your strengths, if a there is a close research match with a professor I think they are more willing to take that chance. It's really about showing how the work you have been doing relates to public health and has guided you to your decision to make this career change. They tend to worry that when people go from direct service to research that they are not completely aware of what they are getting into. Let them know how deliberate of a choice this is for you and what you have done to prepare yourself. If you don't get in this round, the advice I have gotten is to enroll as a non-degree student  in some stats or research courses to show you can keep up with it.

Edited by emjayco

• 3 weeks later...

I echo Emjayco's post. I am transitioning from social work to PH. There are reasons for this and I tried to emphasize this in my application, interview, and conversation with professors. The schools are going to need to know why you are transitioning to PH. I would also recommend taking a multi-year approach. See if you can get advice from faculty members of schools you want to attend and build relationships. 

The advice I received from faculty after I was rejected from the DrPH program at CSPH last year was to take some PH coursework to make sure PH was really the path I wanted to be on. I took 3 classes in the fall and taking 3 this spring. When I reconnected with the faculty members I talked with last year they were very happy that i followed through on their advice. 

Definitely, take some stats/ research courses. 

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in a very similar situation, coming from an MS in neurobiology with undergrad degrees in biology and psychology. After talking to a lot of people, I ended up applying for, and getting into, the MPH Epi program at OHSU. While the PhD program does accept applicants with no epi background, I ultimately decided on applying for the MPH for two reasons; one, it will give me much-needed foundational classes, and two, it is fully transferable to the PhD program. This way, I have two years to do gain valuable skills in the field and do background research for a PhD research proposal, and it gives me the opportunity to make absolutely certain I want to do my PhD in Epi. This last is especially important to me because I am coming from a field I was initially sure I was in love with and wanted to make my life's career, only to find that actually, working 60-80 hours a week in a wet lab trying to figure out which enzymes are involved in seasonal reproductive axis activation is really, really is not my cup of tea. 

What I found during this process is that in public health, coming from another career background, especially a health-related science background, is not considered a deficit at all. I think that an MA in speech and hearing will be considered a strong asset for entering an MPH program. Your odds of getting directly into a PhD Epi program without an MPH are not great, but if you perform well in the MPH program I think you will have no trouble getting into a PhD program where those credits will apply. 

Most MPH programs I spoke to won't accept applicants who haven't at least taken intro to Epi, so I would recommend taking that as a postbacc, as well as a statistics class if it's been a while since your last one. Good luck!