2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

16 minutes ago, philosobro said:

I got an email to check the website. Very fortunate to have this opportunity! 

So far, I am 2a/1w/2r. Pretty good cycle for me so far.

Congrats!! What schools comprise those 5, and what is the status of each, if you don't mind me asking?

5 minutes ago, clownlacanian said:

@philosobro perhaps (I know) it's a dumb question but were you accepted into the Brown Philosophy Department or the Modern Culture and Media Department?

Also, anyone hear back from Penn State?

By the looks of it, a bunch of decisions from Penn State went out today. Seems like it was mostly rejections, but one person says that they received an acceptance.

2 hours ago, GuanilosIsland said:

To those saying they just want to hear anything, even a rejection, just to make the wait easier – it helps for about 15 minutes. Then you just get anxious again.

I second this. I thought I'd feel a load off to hear something, and it did for a little while. But the anxiety came right back, LOL.

10 minutes ago, SirPyros said:

I second this. I thought I'd feel a load off to hear something, and it did for a little while. But the anxiety came right back, LOL.

Also agree. I thought knowing that I wasn't shut out would help...but now I've moved on from that worry to the next one: actually having a choice instead of having it made for me, especially because I have yet to get into a PhD...

My POI at JHU told me I have good chances there and with the recent 75,000,000 (whew!) USD donation JHU is very likely to become one of the top programs within the next few years as they would at least double the size of faculty and provide better support for graduate students etc. Anybody has any thoughts about the news? Is JHU really going to become a top10 or even top5 program?

Edited by MarcelPr

20 minutes ago, MarcelPr said:

My POI at JHU told me I have good chances there and with the recent 75,000,000 (whew!) USD donation JHU is very likely to become one of the top programs within the next few years as they would at least double the size of faculty and provide better support for graduate students etc. Anybody has any thoughts about the news? Is JHU really going to become a top10 or even top5 program?

These kind of self-predictions are always a bit presumptuous, though there is a related example to this type of scenario (USC). JHU is already a good department and it will be better with the donation, no doubt, although I would not bet on its becoming top-5 in the next few years.

I also applied to JHU, but haven't stated any POI. All in all, my preemptive congratulations, since your POI's words seem like there is only official business to sort out for your admission.

Edited by quinessloopypun

1 hour ago, MarcelPr said:

I highly doubt that it's going to become a top 10 or top 5 program. If you compare the current PGR to the previous one, or the previous one to the one before that, programs rarely move more than 5 spots up or down the ranking within a decade. Given JHU's current rank, it'd be highly surprising for it to become a top 10 or top 5 program anytime soon.