Columbia Social Work Program Fall 2018

lanabeni

15 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Not really? Lmao. I'm in between jobs at the moment. But I'm also just an obsessive, anxious person in general, I won't lie. 

Have you heard back yet?

Nope

7 minutes ago, stheart said:

Pretty late, 2/14. I'm not priority 

Oh, gotcha. Yeah, I have no idea when they plan to notify us non-priority folks. It’s crazy. They can’t seriously expect people to wait until late April for a decision...

Hey Everyone! I have been silently watching this page to see when decisions were coming out lol. Just thought I'd share that I received an acceptance from Columbia for their traditional 2-year program yesterday around 5:30pm EST. I applied on 2/02 but they received everything on 2/20. I am also non-priority. So it was exactly one month from when they received my application that I got notified. Hope this helped a little! Good luck everyone see you in the Fall!

Edited by Taycarts

4 hours ago, doctormelody said:

Hey guys! Just thought I'd let you know that I received a very nice email from the Office of Admissions just now saying that my application is currently in the review process and that they hope to have decisions released around the beginning of April!

when did you apply again?

I guess they must have closed sometime this afternoon. Ah well. I wasn’t expecting a decision today, anyway. I really hope all of you priority applicants hear back soon, though! The lady that emailed me back didn’t specify whether they were still going through priority applications or not, but I think she meant that everyone would hear back by the beginning of April. So hopefully it will be sooner than that for those that applied earlier. 

Edited by doctormelody

On 3/20/2018 at 6:47 PM, doctormelody said:

You're welcome! Thank you for the encouragement; I definitely plan to reapply to MSW programs if this year doesn't work out like I had hoped. I just need to get some more experience!

What are your stats! I'm sure they're great. 

29 minutes ago, KS100 said:

What are your stats! I'm sure they're great. 

Aww, that's kind of you, but not really. I have a 3.5 GPA in an unrelated major, graduated in 2015. I took some classes in Psychology and Sociology at my local community college, but I had to pay out of pocket for those so it was only 6 credits over two years. I volunteered at Crisis Text Line for a few months but couldn't really get into it/didn't feel like I was helping people much. I also volunteered with my local Habitat for Humanity for six months, but as a receptionist, so I didn't get much experience working with clients. While I was at NYU I was a Peer Educator for the LGBTQ student center for a year, so I incorporated that into my essays. I think my recommendations were good, but my statement of purpose definitely could have been stronger - the apps for Columbia and BU were due the day after my grandpa's funeral and I was pretty busy with family matters that week so I'm not sure I put my best foot forward.

Edited by doctormelody

1 hour ago, doctormelody said:

Aww, that's kind of you, but not really. I have a 3.5 GPA in an unrelated major, graduated in 2015. I took some classes in Psychology and Sociology at my local community college, but I had to pay out of pocket for those so it was only 6 credits over two years. I volunteered at Crisis Text Line for a few months but couldn't really get into it/didn't feel like I was helping people much. I also volunteered with my local Habitat for Humanity for six months, but as a receptionist, so I didn't get much experience working with clients. While I was at NYU I was a Peer Educator for the LGBTQ student center for a year, so I incorporated that into my essays. I think my recommendations were good, but my statement of purpose definitely could have been stronger - the apps for Columbia and BU were due the day after my grandpa's funeral and I was pretty busy with family matters that week so I'm not sure I put my best foot forward.

I wouldn't worry at all! You have a great GPA and valuable volunteer experience - Crossing fingers for you!! 

41 minutes ago, KS100 said:

I wouldn't worry at all! You have a great GPA and valuable volunteer experience - Crossing fingers for you!! 

Thank you! You haven't heard yet, either, have you? I'm crossing my fingers for you as well!

1 hour ago, doctormelody said:

Thank you! You haven't heard yet, either, have you? I'm crossing my fingers for you as well!

No, haven't heard yet. I'm anticipating this week or next. Truly on the precipice of having an aneurysm. 

14 minutes ago, KS100 said:

No, haven't heard yet. I'm anticipating this week or next. Truly on the precipice of having an aneurysm. 

Oh man, I feel that... when did you apply? It's only been five weeks for me but I'm already losing my mind, haha.

29 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Oh man, I feel that... when did you apply? It's only been five weeks for me but I'm already losing my mind, haha.

Jan. 17th. I called admissions, and they informed me that my application is with faculty and in the final stages of review. Keep you posted.