Columbia Social Work Program Fall 2018

lanabeni

5 minutes ago, Holli82 said:

I doubt we will hear much bc of spring break. Think we are looking at mid-april.

I know that if you were accepted to Fordham, they will extend the time you have to accept. I spoke with the Dean of admissions.

Columbia's spring break was earlier this month though?

Big hugs. Deep breaths. 

Thank you. Haha, I was legit trying to meditate earlier in order to try and take my mind off this. Unfortunately, I was not very successful.

17 hours ago, Kat_MSW2018 said:

Will you be attending? Were you okay with your financial aid?

I'll be attending. I was actually surprised to receive any financial aid. Mostly because I'm married and my wife and I work full time. I still have some GI Bill left to help pay for school, but with this scholarship that really brings the cost way down. I was expecting a lot of debt, but the aid I have combined really dropped it.

Edited by lanabeni

16 hours ago, doctormelody said:

Thank you. Haha, I was legit trying to meditate earlier in order to try and take my mind off this. Unfortunately, I was not very successful.

16 hours ago, doctormelody said:

Oh was It? I'm lost with schools have spring break at different times. Well then maybe there is hope for next week! Keep up with the meditation!

Edited by Holli82

1 hour ago, Holli82 said:

Oh was It? I'm lost with schools have spring break at different times. Well then maybe there is hope for next week! Keep up with the meditation!

Yeah, it was a couple weeks ago. I know because my friend goes there and she came home to visit.

Thank you, I will! 

20 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Finally worked up the nerve to call. The girl in the office said everyone will hear back by mid- to late April. I asked her if she could give me any updates about the status of my individual application and she said no. Blah. 

Thanks for calling, just emailed to extend my Fordham acceptance deadline

Thanks for calling, just emailed to extend my Fordham acceptance deadline

Yeah, no problem! I tried to ask for an extension from Tulane but they have yet to get back to me. Ah, well. Probably wasn't gonna go there anyway.

5 minutes ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

Honestly, they are probably waiting for other people to decline or accept their offers before sending out another waive of acceptance letters.

^^ This makes sense to me. What was the date they gave you to reply by, just curious?

5 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Yeah, no problem! I tried to ask for an extension from Tulane but they have yet to get back to me. Ah, well. Probably wasn't gonna go there anyway.

^^ This makes sense to me. What was the date they gave you to reply by, just curious?

30 days but I just got my financial package today and I will for sure decline. They only offered $11K and that doesn't even put a dent in the $100k for the program lol. 

5 minutes ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

30 days but I just got my financial package today and I will for sure decline. They only offered $11K and that doesn't even put a dent in the $100k for the program lol. 

Yeah, that's ridiculous, I'm sorry. 

4 hours ago, doctormelody said:

32 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

I feel like I already know the answer to this, but did anyone hear anything today? I did not. I also feel like they don't typically send out decisions on Fridays, at least from what I've seen on here, but I could be wrong.

Nothing here

23 minutes ago, Sunset95 said:

I came back to creep and see they’re still doing you guys dirty. Smh eternally.

Omg, I know! It’s like, on the one hand, I feel bad complaining because I know you and others waited longer, but on the other, it’s still extremely off-putting because they just keep telling people to ask for extensions instead of owning up to the fact that something clearly went awry this year. It’s so frustrating.

16 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Omg, I know! It’s like, on the one hand, I feel bad complaining because I know you and others waited longer, but on the other, it’s still extremely off-putting because they just keep telling people to ask for extensions instead of owning up to the fact that something clearly went awry this year. It’s so frustrating.

Yeah. And tbh I don’t even think they completely reviewed my application. I think they waited until the deadline I gave them and then were like “well let’s see if she accepts the waitlist and we’ll review it later.” Something is very off this year.

27 minutes ago, Sunset95 said:

Yeah. And tbh I don’t even think they completely reviewed my application. I think they waited until the deadline I gave them and then were like “well let’s see if she accepts the waitlist and we’ll review it later.” Something is very off this year.

Yeah, I agree - I feel like the process by which they handled your application was very fishy. I remember reading earlier on this thread or the other Columbia thread that a couple of faculty members who normally review applications quit, but of course, we have no way of knowing whether that’s true or not. I just know that last year my friend got a response within two weeks. Idk. That might have been an anomaly but in general the way they’re treating people just doesn’t sit right with me.

Edited by doctormelody

7 hours ago, doctormelody said:

Yeah, I agree - I feel like the process by which they handled your application was very fishy. I remember reading earlier on this thread or the other Columbia thread that a couple of faculty members who normally review applications quit, but of course, we have no way of knowing whether that’s true or not. I just know that last year my friend got a response within two weeks. Idk. That might have been an anomaly but in general the way they’re treating people just doesn’t sit right with me.

Yeah, that’s why I didn’t accept the waitlist. I think if they would’ve been more open from the start it wouldn’t have been so bad but they’ve been telling people “the next two weeks” since January knowing it wasn’t like that. I don’t even know if all the priority people have heard back yet. I hope they have.

13 minutes ago, Sunset95 said:

Yeah, that’s why I didn’t accept the waitlist. I think if they would’ve been more open from the start it wouldn’t have been so bad but they’ve been telling people “the next two weeks” since January knowing it wasn’t like that. I don’t even know if all the priority people have heard back yet. I hope they have.

I agree! Like, if they had just said “hey, we’re short-staffed this year and it may take longer to get decisions out, I think most people would have understood, but instead, they just keep giving people the runaround and pretending this is normal and reasonable. It’s so frustrating. But yeah, I really hope all the priority people have heard back as well. If not, that’d be so messed up. ?

Edited by doctormelody

3 hours ago, doctormelody said:

I agree! Like, if they had just said “hey, we’re short-staffed this year and it may take longer to get decisions out, I think most people would have understood, but instead, they just keep giving people the runaround and pretending this is normal and reasonable. It’s so frustrating. But yeah, I really hope all the priority people have heard back as well. If not, that’d be so messed up. ?

Do we think they quit after the fraud scandal at the teacher's college? Not that it was connected to the SSW faculty at ALL but it wasn't a good look for Columbia overall.