Columbia Social Work Program Fall 2018

lanabeni

34 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Yeah, I lived in the city for three years (I went to NYU for undergrad) and that was pretty much enough for me for life, lol. My best friend lives in Brooklyn and I could maaaaybe make that work for a couple years but I can't imagine settling there long-term. I do see the good things about it, too, obviously (especially since I moved back to my hometown where everything closes at 9pm at the latest), but overall I just find it too overwhelming most of the time. And yeah the rent is truly prohibitive, especially if you don't want to contribute to the whole gentrification epidemic (I'm white, lol).

LOL! So you know EXACTLY what I am talking about. Brooklyn would be perfect you could just take the subway then to class. look at me wanting to avoid to all-together. hahaha.. How can someone that counsels be so anti-social........ lol... which i am somewhat. I like get home at the end of the day from work and I'm like.. please.. no more people.. 

6 hours ago, MSW2018?? said:

LOL! So you know EXACTLY what I am talking about. Brooklyn would be perfect you could just take the subway then to class. look at me wanting to avoid to all-together. hahaha.. How can someone that counsels be so anti-social........ lol... which i am somewhat. I like get home at the end of the day from work and I'm like.. please.. no more people.. 

Yeah, I do know what you mean! New York is cool but it can also be incredibly depressing and anxiety-inducing. And I’m the same way, I like people but also I need my alone time or I become a very unpleasant person. ?

Edited by doctormelody

Has anyone already submitted their field placement form for Fall 2018 and if so did you already get notified of how their process works? Is there a deadline for field placement forms? I know it's only April...but yeah...lol This is for online programs, but curious about the residential folks too

19 hours ago, doctormelody said:

Yeah, that’s a good point. The girl who answered the phone when I called Friday sounded super young and I have a feeling she was like a student employee. But something weird definitely happened in @Sunset95‘s case. Maybe it’s different if you give them a deadline? Idk.

I don't think it is a problem to follow up on your application, but I could imagine that it comes off as pushy if you need to know because you have a deadline for another school. Then if you happen to come off as pushy to the wrong person, it would make sense that it could impact your application.

It is understandable that someone needs to know and it is understandable if someone has been waiting since November/December. However, at the end of the day you can either play their game or take your business elsewhere.

5 hours ago, lanabeni said:

I don't think it is a problem to follow up on your application, but I could imagine that it comes off as pushy if you need to know because you have a deadline for another school. Then if you happen to come off as pushy to the wrong person, it would make sense that it could impact your application.

It is understandable that someone needs to know and it is understandable if someone has been waiting since November/December. However, at the end of the day you can either play their game or take your business elsewhere.

That’s true. Although I would hope I didn’t come off as pushy. I asked generally at the end of February (when they told us we would know) when we should know and they said beginning of March. Beginning of March I had to let them know I had a deadline, especially since they had started admitting regular decision people and I was priority. I was polite both times but received curt responses. Luckily I had other options and decided it wasn’t a game I wanted to play with them. Unfortunately, I see this isn’t the only department playing games with people regarding admission decisions so I don’t feel as bad now.

2 hours ago, Sunset95 said:

That’s true. Although I would hope I didn’t come off as pushy. I asked generally at the end of February (when they told us we would know) when we should know and they said beginning of March. Beginning of March I had to let them know I had a deadline, especially since they had started admitting regular decision people and I was priority. I was polite both times but received curt responses. Luckily I had other options and decided it wasn’t a game I wanted to play with them. Unfortunately, I see this isn’t the only department playing games with people regarding admission decisions so I don’t feel as bad now.

They are definitely not the only ones. It’s frustrating but it’s like @lanabeni said we have no real choice in the matter. I’m just really hoping some decisions come out today, even if I don’t get any news! Somehow it’s much more depressing when no one on here hears anything than when I know that they are still (slowly! painfully slowly!) getting back to people.

5 minutes ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

Where else have you applied? I know NYU, Fordham, and a few other places are still accepting applications.

Just Columbia and BU (BU rejected me in early March). I would have applied to more schools in New York but my partner is dead-set against living there. I don’t even know why I applied to Columbia really, other than that it was my dream school when I was like 16. I guess on the off-chance I get in I might try to switch to the online program. I kind of doubt that will happen, though. I completed the apps for Columbia and BU the day after my grandpa’s memorial service so I didn’t really put my best foot forward because I was pretty distracted and upset.

Nothing here either. I got an extension from Fordham on my decision date - April 20th. I'm wondering if I should follow up with Columbia for the first time. Did anyone get a longer extension from Fordham?

Really sucks that I spent like $200 getting an academic evaluation for Hunter and NYU and the eval. hasn't even been completed yet :(

This combined with my lack of green card is making me v.nervous.

9 minutes ago, Holli82 said:

Nothing here either. I got an extension from Fordham on my decision date - April 20th. I'm wondering if I should follow up with Columbia for the first time. Did anyone get a longer extension from Fordham?

Really sucks that I spent like $200 getting an academic evaluation for Hunter and NYU and the eval. hasn't even been completed yet :(

This combined with my lack of green card is making me v.nervous.

I mean, I would tell you it can't hurt, but it seems the jury's out on that. Plus, I'm 99% sure they'd just tell you the same thing they've been telling everyone - namely, that decisions will be released in mid- to late April.

What is an academic eval?

As for the teacher's college thing, I'm not too concerned about it. As you said, it had nothing to do with the administration or faculty at the SSW.

14 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

I mean, I would tell you it can't hurt, but it seems the jury's out on that. Plus, I'm 99% sure they'd just tell you the same thing they've been telling everyone - namely, that decisions will be released in mid- to late April.

What is an academic eval?

As for the teacher's college thing, I'm not too concerned about it. As you said, it had nothing to do with the administration or faculty at the SSW.

I'm from the UK so our undergrad is only 3 years long. What you guys do in your first year of undergrad we do in our final year of high school. So anyway, some schools here need an evaluation of foreign degrees to check that we meet their standards since we do not get given a GPA as such. Luckily Fordham and Columbia haven't asked for that, but it is holding up my other applications :( I'm waiting to hear if NYU will accept the evaluation I already have, but it's not a course by course evaluation so Hunter said flat out NOPE.

And I think you are right, they are just going to tell me mid-April, so I'll sit tight. 

I saw that your partner doesn't want to move to NYC ... think will you be able to convince them if you get into Columbia? 

Edited by Holli82

32 minutes ago, Holli82 said:

I'm from the UK so our undergrad is only 3 years long. What you guys do in your first year of undergrad we do in our final year of high school. So anyway, some schools here need an evaluation of foreign degrees to check that we meet their standards since we do not get given a GPA as such. Luckily Fordham and Columbia haven't asked for that, but it is holding up my other applications :( I'm waiting to hear if NYU will accept the evaluation I already have, but it's not a course by course evaluation so Hunter said flat out NOPE.

Ah, that sucks. It seems like Hunter is picky about a lot of things, probably because they're the cheapest option in the area...

Honestly, I don't think I could convince him, and that's fine. I don't really want to move back to NYC either so on the off-chance I get in I would probably just see about switching to the online program. The website makes that sound pretty easy as long as it's before the academic year has begun. But I'm not really thinking about it with any degree of seriousness because I still think the best I can hope for is that I'll get wait listed.

Edited by doctormelody

19 hours ago, doctormelody said:

Ah, that sucks. It seems like Hunter is picky about a lot of things, probably because they're the cheapest option in the area...

Honestly, I don't think I could convince him, and that's fine. I don't really want to move back to NYC either so on the off-chance I get in I would probably just see about switching to the online program. The website makes that sound pretty easy as long as it's before the academic year has begun. But I'm not really thinking about it with any degree of seriousness because I still think the best I can hope for is that I'll get wait listed.

Thanks, yeah I understand that they have to be pretty selective. I have found them to be the most unfriendly and unhelpful too. In my head I'm like 'this is a psychological test, to see how we will deal with advocating for our clients' lol

Online sounds like a great option. Personally, I couldn't do online, I'm just not disciplined enough, especially with fulltime work commitments. I'd never get anything done. I admire anyone who can do that.

So you think that people were told their app. was being processed and then they still got waitlisted? ugh :(

7 minutes ago, Holli82 said:

Thanks, yeah I understand that they have to be pretty selective. I have found them to be the most unfriendly and unhelpful too. In my head I'm like 'this is a psychological test, to see how we will deal with advocating for our clients' lol

Online sounds like a great option. Personally, I couldn't do online, I'm just not disciplined enough, especially with fulltime work commitments. I'd never get anything done. I admire anyone who can do that.

So you think that people were told their app. was being processed and then they still got waitlisted? ugh :(

Ugh, that sucks, I’m sorry. I’ve found that to be a trend with a lot of admissions offices and it seems counterproductive to me.

Yeah, that aspect of an online program makes me nervous as well. It might end up being what makes the most sense for me, though. I’ll just have to weigh all the options and see what makes sense once I get my decision from Columbia.

I think they don’t take kindly to being given a deadline. But when four months go by and deadlines for other schools are coming up, I don’t know what they expect people to do.