Columbia Social Work Program Fall 2018

lanabeni

I am happy to say that I have accepted Columbia’s offer and will be attending as a an advanced standing student! I have been going back-and-forth for a while, but I know this is the right choice for me. I am steadily rooting for you all that are waiting for your decision. I know that this is anxiety provoking experience, and I was in your shoes not too long ago. There are no right words to say for everyone but just know that your decision is coming. 

The theory about them marking you down for calling multiple times, could be possible.  Anything could be possible! But I would hope that there is a high regard for professionalism at Columbia, and that it would not be the case. I also say this because I called many times before receiving my acceptance Lol. 

If anyone is going back and forth, I am not qualified to tell you about the program 100% of course. But I could give you some insight on my decision! 

Also, any one who is moving to New York City, I am actively looking to connect with my fellow social workers as I will be coming from across the country! Networking is key! Feel free to PM me. :)

Stay positive friends! I promise things will work out either way!

Edited by Kat_MSW2018

17 minutes ago, MSW2018?? said:

I finally got the email that says "Your application is now complete and will enter the admission review process" How long until I get a decision?

It’s not indicative of a decision coming soon. I got it a week after I submitted, so, 6 weeks ago? ? 

8 minutes ago, MSW2018?? said:

Anyone have a time frame from this email to decision?

48 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

It’s not indicative of a decision coming soon. I got it a week after I submitted, so, 6 weeks ago? ? 

Same, I received mine 6 weeks ago and I'm still waiting.

3 hours ago, MSW2018?? said:

I finally got the email that says "Your application is now complete and will enter the admission review process" How long until I get a decision?

I applied back in Nov and didn't get that email until March 1st, got accepted the 22nd. It truly just depends. Columbia's process seems to be all over the place, so no way to truly know anything at this point. 

6 hours ago, Kat_MSW2018 said:

I am happy to say that I have accepted Columbia’s offer and will be attending as a an advanced standing student! I have been going back-and-forth for a while, but I know this is the right choice for me. I am steadily rooting for you all that are waiting for your decision. I know that this is anxiety provoking experience, and I was in your shoes not too long ago. There are no right words to say for everyone but just know that your decision is coming. 

The theory about them marking you down for calling multiple times, could be possible.  Anything could be possible! But I would hope that there is a high regard for professionalism at Columbia, and that it would not be the case. I also say this because I called many times before receiving my acceptance Lol. 

If anyone is going back and forth, I am not qualified to tell you about the program 100% of course. But I could give you some insight on my decision! 

Also, any one who is moving to New York City, I am actively looking to connect with my fellow social workers as I will be coming from across the country! Networking is key! Feel free to PM me. :)

Stay positive friends! I promise things will work out either way!

Congrats on your decision! I decided to accept my offer as well! I’ll be an advanced standing student in the policy concentration. I’m moving from Arizona! 

We should definitely organize something for everyone on this thread who attends in the fall! 

Good luck to all those who are still waiting! 

1 hour ago, JonoDuncan said:

Congrats on your decision! I decided to accept my offer as well! I’ll be an advanced standing student in the policy concentration. I’m moving from Arizona! 

We should definitely organize something for everyone on this thread who attends in the fall! 

Good luck to all those who are still waiting! 

Thank you so much!! Same to you! I can’t wait! We should be meeting in class in July then? I’m an Adavnced Generalist Practice and Programming student! Moving from Los Angeles. :) I think I saw you in our CSSW new student FB group! 

I think everyone on all these grad threads deserve a little party when all is settled lol. When it gets closer to the summer, I can create a New York MSWs GradCafe forum or FB group? What does everyone think? ?

9 hours ago, Kat_MSW2018 said:

Thank you so much!! Same to you! I can’t wait! We should be meeting in class in July then? I’m an Adavnced Generalist Practice and Programming student! Moving from Los Angeles. :) I think I saw you in our CSSW new student FB group! 

I think everyone on all these grad threads deserve a little party when all is settled lol. When it gets closer to the summer, I can create a New York MSWs GradCafe forum or FB group? What does everyone think? ?

haha nice! Feel free to add me :) 

Yes, we will definitely have summer session together. From what I've heard, it sounds like you're basically grouped with your practice method after that. 

They don’t normally send decisions out on Fridays, do they? Ugh. Really wish they would just cut me loose so I can move tf on with my life, haha.

If they’re holding onto rejections for some reason I am gonna be SO annoyed. I know that some advanced standing applicants have already been denied, but no one has been rejected for the two year program that we know of, right?

2 hours ago, sjbarton93 said:

another long weekend of waiting...... I swear I need to know by the end of next week or ill go insane and just run around down town Austin naked and drunk.

Lol, I am almost at that point myself. But at least we know decisions are still coming out!

6 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Congratulations!!! Would you mind sharing when you applied and for what program?

Applied February 15, last reference came in on 16.  Advanced standing, Advanced generalist practice.

45 minutes ago, bdrake said:

Applied February 15, last reference came in on 16.  Advanced standing, Advanced generalist practice.

Are you going to attend? We are going to be classmates! I’m in the AGPP concentration too! ☺️