Columbia Social Work Program Fall 2018

lanabeni

2 hours ago, Sunset95 said:

Ahhh I creeped on the right day! Congratulations!!!!

31 minutes ago, MSW2018?? said:

Yey!!! Congratulations!!!!! Im so happy for you guys!! You waited so long!!!!! ❤❤❤?????

18 minutes ago, Holli82 said:

Wahoo!!! Congrats! Good luck with everything!!!

2 hours ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

YAAAAY FINALLY!!! 

Thank you all so much!!! It still feels so surreal, haha. But I got another email saying congrats on my admission, so it's probably for real. Lol.

4 hours ago, doctormelody said:

Nvm, just got the email. I got 11k, seems pretty standard for people on here. Ngl, I’m pretty sad. I guess this is one dream that’s not gonna become a reality. ?

Ughhhh!!! Maybe you can defer enrollment?? And, during the meantime, save up? Columbia is just a dream for me as well, especially, since CSULB already accepted me for their advance standing and it’s way cheaper (I live in the area too). I wish UCLA and Berk did advance standing :( I understand that the curriculum is all generally the same so long as it’s accredited but I feel like if I decide to go for private practice, that the name would have more backing because of the prestige. Meh. ??‍♀️

I honestly think that they forgot about me. I was in touch with Dean Lovaglio until early this year and he was super helpful. Then I emailed him to let him know that I had submitted and he never responded, despite going out of his way to respond before. Also he never turned up to the info session I went to. Did he resign? 

39 minutes ago, Moonlight008 said:

Ughhhh!!! Maybe you can defer enrollment?? And, during the meantime, save up? Columbia is just a dream for me as well, especially, since CSULB already accepted me for their advance standing and it’s way cheaper (I live in the area too). I wish UCLA and Berk did advance standing :( I understand that the curriculum is all generally the same so long as it’s accredited but I feel like if I decide to go for private practice, that the name would have more backing because of the prestige. Meh. ??‍♀️

Yeah, I’ve been thinking about it, but I’m two year so Idk if I can justify the high cost regardless. ? I feel you on the prestige thing for sure. I might try and appeal my financial aid decision. If I do, I’ll let you guys know how it goes.

16 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Yeah, I’ve been thinking about it, but I’m two year so Idk if I can justify the high cost regardless. ? I feel you on the prestige thing for sure. I might try and appeal my financial aid decision. If I do, I’ll let you guys know how it goes.

What other schools are you considering?

4 hours ago, doctormelody said:

Nvm, just got the email. I got 11k, seems pretty standard for people on here. Ngl, I’m pretty sad. I guess this is one dream that’s not gonna become a reality. ?

Did you receive any offers from other schools. From the CSSW Facebook page, many people asked them to match their scholarship for another school. 

28 minutes ago, cafelatte08 said:

What other schools are you considering?

I don’t have any other viable options for next year. I got into Tulane and Simmons as well, but Simmons only offered me loans, so I gave up on them back in March.  Tulane only offered me 12,500, and only for the first year. That would leave me needing to take out at least 48k in loans to attend, which is far more than I personally am comfortable with considering I already have a sizable chunk of debt from undergrad.

If Columbia doesn’t work out, which it most likely won’t, I’m most likely gonna take another year and apply to the University of Pittsburgh’s guaranteed admission program. My boyfriend and I are thinking of moving to Pittsburgh this summer since there are opportunities there for both of us. Technically the deadline hasn’t passed for this year but I called them today and they said that I won’t get a scholarship if I apply now, so I really have no choice but to either accept Columbia’s offer or wait and try again next year (which is what I’m leaning towards, in all honesty - I didn’t love Pittsburgh when we visited, but I can stomach it for three years if I have to).

Sorry, that was probably an overexplanation, lol...

10 minutes ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

Did you receive any offers from other schools. From the CSSW Facebook page, many people asked them to match their scholarship for another school. 

Just Tulane and it’s actually less than what Columbia offered if you consider the fact that it’s only for one year. ?

6 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Just Tulane and it’s actually less than what Columbia offered if you consider the fact that it’s only for one year. ?

You can probably explain circumstances and try to apply for fellowships or assistantships. If you are taking off a year, I highly suggest looking into doing City Year or another Americorp program. Certain schools will discount your tuition heavily for doing one of those programs. I have been throwing this suggestion out to many people because it is definitely a good option to look into.