Northwestern Learning Science

cal03

Hi, I feel a bit too new to open a new topic, but here goes. I just checked on the status page that someone got an interview for cs & ls. Oh no. 

I am freaking out as this is the first or at least second school on my wishlist and also had thought as application deadlines were so late, that interview emails would come later this month. Plus I saw past posts that said the interviews were on feb!

Did anyone else get emails? Does NU send out interview emails over a longer period than just a day? I'm extremely anxious and completely unable to focus on anything else, HELP!

I applied for this program as well and haven't heard anything. Did you apply for the joint program of Computer Science and Learning Sciences or the Learning Sciences Ph.D.? I'm quite surprised to see that they're already inviting for interviews. Just hold out hope! Also, looking at the results page from years prior, it looks as if some were accepted as late as March. I'd say anything goes at this point. Be positive and know you put in your best effort. 

Edited by libbyt

I received an interview request on Saturday and did my interview over the phone on Sunday.

I was happy to hear from them so early since I heard that those that respond to your application in January take you seriously.

(Just put my result up now)

I would like to know who the other individual is.

Edited by Aromando

Thanks libbyt, yeah it was the cs & ls program. What about you? Aromando, congrats! Did you by any chance send in your application early? Probably not the cause but....

I actually have had a (I thought nice) phone call with my POI in november. I'm now wondering if I had messed up. 

10 hours ago, cal03 said:

Thanks libbyt, yeah it was the cs & ls program. What about you? Aromando, congrats! Did you by any chance send in your application early? Probably not the cause but....

I actually have had a (I thought nice) phone call with my POI in november. I'm now wondering if I had messed up. 

I would say I submitted the application closer to the deadline. I would no worry. The interviewer did not mention anything about moving forward with my application or anything in regards to the interview being a sign of admittance. I see the interview as a positive thing, of course, but I do not think they are ready to decide on me (or anyone else) as of yet.

20 hours ago, cal03 said:

I applied to the general Learning Sciences program. Good luck to you!!!

I applied to CS but the people reaching out for interviews for me are in the CS/LS department and on the phone they said they'd probably extend offers in early to mid february according to their time line and visit days are early march.

36 minutes ago, balaenopter_a said:

I applied to CS but the people reaching out for interviews for me are in the CS/LS department and on the phone they said they'd probably extend offers in early to mid february according to their time line and visit days are early march.

Haha I love your 'not talking about it' label. I should adapt that. 

2 hours ago, Aromando said:

@cal03 Any updates on your end?

Nope. None. But I did get interviews from #1 and 2 in my list so I'm not stressing about NU (which ties at #2) as much. But I do realize by looking at balaenopter and your backgrounds that NU seems to be looking for a lot stronger tech background than what I have. I'm mostly education. We'll see!

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Applicant2018 said:

Hi there, just found this thread. I also applied to LS at Northwestern. Anyone heard from them for an interview? 

Really nervous since I saw someone got it yesterday.

Hey there,

I did not apply to NW, but I was at an interview day with someone who said they got an interview offer right before that event (it was a few weeks ago). I do not know if that means all interview offers are out though. They may still be interviewing people. I know at one school I applied to, the professors have a deadline to get interviews done by and everyone is different. So some applicants got interviewed super early and others were later. Hope this helps!

On 2/14/2018 at 2:13 AM, Applicant2018 said:

Hi there, just found this thread. I also applied to LS at Northwestern. Anyone heard from them for an interview? 

Really nervous since I saw someone got it yesterday.

Hi, I got an interview invite for the LS & CS program recently after all. It's much later than other students that got their interview requests in January, so the same situation may happen for the LS program.

Also, the professor I will be interviewing with mentioned that he has to get all the interviews done before 3/1, I don't know if this is the same for the LS program but if so, there's still some time left. Fingers crossed for you!

Edited by cal03

18 hours ago, cal03 said:

Hi, I got an interview invite for the LS & CS program recently after all. It's much later than other students that got their interview requests in January, so the same situation may happen for the LS program.

Also, the professor I will be interviewing with mentioned that he has to get all the interviews done before 3/1, I don't know if this is the same for the LS program but if so, there's still some time left. Fingers crossed for you!

Let us know if they give you a time table on acceptances!