Chances for getting into M.S. program with no research exp?

geoundergrad

Undergrad Institution: Medium sized state school

Major(s): Environmental Science
Minor(s): Geological science/coastal geoscience
GPA in Major:3.6
Overall GPA:3.4
Position in Class: mid to mid top
Type of Student: domestic white male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q:162
V:151
W:3.5

Research Experience: None

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's list a couple times

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: State Geological Survey working of geologic maps, GIS, and field work

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Study abroad for geology

Special Bonus Points: took two graduate classes but was not on resume so hopefully they see it on my transcript

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:  strong LOR two from professors and one from state survey

Applying to Where:

All for M.S. programs

UT - Petrology/geochemistry

University of vermont -Petrology/geochemistry

Syracuse-Petrology/geochemistry

Boise state-Petrology/geochemistry

CU boulder-Petrology/geochemistry

Lehigh-/geochemistry

Checking everyday, but really want to know my chances because I am clueless and don't seem to have anything special that stands out in my application

Edited by geoundergrad

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2018 at 8:42 AM, geoundergrad said:

Undergrad Institution: Medium sized state school

Major(s): Environmental Science
Minor(s): Geological science/coastal geoscience
GPA in Major:3.6
Overall GPA:3.4
Position in Class: mid to mid top
Type of Student: domestic white male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q:162
V:151
W:3.5

Research Experience: None

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's list a couple times

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: State Geological Survey working of geologic maps, GIS, and field work

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Study abroad for geology

Special Bonus Points: took two graduate classes but was not on resume so hopefully they see it on my transcript

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:  strong LOR two from professors and one from state survey

Applying to Where:

All for M.S. programs

UT - Petrology/geochemistry

University of vermont -Petrology/geochemistry

Syracuse-Petrology/geochemistry

Boise state-Petrology/geochemistry

CU boulder-Petrology/geochemistry

Lehigh-/geochemistry

Checking everyday, but really want to know my chances because I am clueless and don't seem to have anything special that stands out in my application

I think your work exp and letters of rec are really important. I was accepted to a couple environmental science MS programs and I didn't even major in the sciences for my undergrad, and had no research experience. I think my recommendation letters and SOP really helped since I lacked the research exp. I also think they aren't looking for people with research experience per se but are looking for students that have a strong idea of what their research interests might be. So don't lose hope!

I think your graduate classes and work experience will make up for your lack of research exp. Did you do any class projects that are sort of research-oriented? Those projects are worth mentioning when writing your SoP and in your CV.

How well did you articulate yourself regarding your work experience with state Geological survey? If you have written a strong and convincing SoP, I think you'll be fine.

Side note: I think CU Boulder might be a stretch

26 minutes ago, dataseis said:

I think your graduate classes and work experience will make up for your lack of research exp. Did you do any class projects that are sort of research-oriented? Those projects are worth mentioning when writing your SoP and in your CV.

How well did you articulate yourself regarding your work experience with state Geological survey? If you have written a strong and convincing SoP, I think you'll be fine.

Side note: I think CU Boulder might be a stretch

I have a small part in my resume and CV about my work experience, pretty much a decent small summary not in really great detail. They did write me a LOR that really dives into what I did working for them which I think will really help. and yea CU boulder and UT were definitely stretch schools, not expecting much from them, but hey who knows right?

• 4 weeks later...