The Committee on Social Thought 2018

I applied. Looking forward to seeing how things turn out.  Naturally it's quite competitive just due to the limited acceptances, but I had a great visit / informal interview, so I'm excited to see what comes back next month.

Edited by jmarvin_

Social Thought student here – we usually get back to people in early/mid-February. Good luck everyone, I hope to meet some of you soon.

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Phaedrus94 said:

I wonder if it's just a tough call this year. Interestingly, just checked the portal and they changed my GRE score status from not received, which was the status two days ago, to received. Just an indication that I guess they're looking at our apps right now. Scary!

Interesting! Perhaps you’re right; I just thought that they had already sent their acceptances and no-one had until now posted anything… Well, fingers to remain crossed then.

I'm sorry to hear that. Annoying that they dont just release their decisions. I've never contacted a school to ask about results. Was it difficult to get them to tell you your admissions result? My portal still says status "submitted"

Edited by Phaedrus94

On 1/29/2018 at 2:03 PM, pcato1 said:

Social Thought student here – we usually get back to people in early/mid-February. Good luck everyone, I hope to meet some of you soon.

PCato - do you have any updates on whether decisions have been made/when they will be sent out?

6 hours ago, Phaedrus94 said:

I'm sorry to hear that. Annoying that they dont just release their decisions. I've never contacted a school to ask about results. Was it difficult to get them to tell you your admissions result? My portal still says status "submitted"

No, I had been talking to my POI for some time now and just sent an e-mail inquiring, asking for feedback, etc. He was really nice explaining the reasons for my rejection and so on. Best of luck to you, I guess results will come out soon. But yeah, I agree, they really should be more forthcoming about the whole thing…

On 2/20/2018 at 6:57 PM, Ian Takaes said:

No, I had been talking to my POI for some time now and just sent an e-mail inquiring, asking for feedback, etc. He was really nice explaining the reasons for my rejection and so on. Best of luck to you, I guess results will come out soon. But yeah, I agree, they really should be more forthcoming about the whole thing…

Clarification: did they mention they’d notified admitted students yet?

Sorry about your news, though. Always a bummer. 

7 minutes ago, ArcierePrudente said:

Clarification: did they mention they’d notified admitted students yet?

Sorry about your news, though. Always a bummer. 

No, they did not. Not sure if the final decision has been made though. I was told that I had passed some rounds, but that unfortunately, I was rejected.

As I have been admitted somewhere else, not overwhelmingly sad about it (even though it’s a great program).

Good luck to you!

44 minutes ago, Phaedrus94 said:

I think it's strange not at least 1 acceptance report yet. GuanilosIsland did you contact the school yourself? (Are the results you posted in your signature current?)

The results are current, but those are all for philosophy PhD programs. I have a strange fear that if I contact departments I've applied to before they've contacted me, I'll hurt any chances I might have of getting it. That fear is probably not rational, but oh well. 

22 hours ago, Phaedrus94 said:

I think it's strange not at least 1 acceptance report yet. GuanilosIsland did you contact the school yourself? (Are the results you posted in your signature current?)

It's a small program, and it's happened before that no CST admits have posted on GC -- just non-admits (check previous years and you'll find a few instances of this being the case).

It's even more difficult to suss out whether admission notifications have been sent, since sometimes they notify everyone all at once, and sometimes they do a weird stagger-dance. Afraid I can't read between the lines on this one... ;)

16 hours ago, ArcierePrudente said:

It's a small program, and it's happened before that no CST admits have posted on GC -- just non-admits (check previous years and you'll find a few instances of this being the case).

It's even more difficult to suss out whether admission notifications have been sent, since sometimes they notify everyone all at once, and sometimes they do a weird stagger-dance. Afraid I can't read between the lines on this one... ;)

yup j realized this myself -- re: mostly non-admits on here sweating it out!!

But I'm mostly curious about PCato's earlier reassurance... it seemed to maybe imply that the current students had some hand in admissions which im sure it not actually the case? 

Edited by Phaedrus94

6 hours ago, Phaedrus94 said:

yup j realized this myself -- re: mostly non-admits on here sweating it out!!

But I'm mostly curious about PCato's earlier reassurance... it seemed to maybe imply that the current students had some hand in admissions which im sure it not actually the case? 

No. I went to Chicago for my MA and throughout the year worked with a handful of Committee faculty as well as students. I never received the impression that students were at all involved in evaluating applications.