Civil & Environmental Engineering - Fall 2018 Applicants

strawberrykat

31 minutes ago, 1PhDplz said:

Just to let everyone know, it looks like MIT decisions are out!

Wow! I applied for MST and still heard no thing. Did they send it by email?

21 minutes ago, ibtes said:

Wow! I applied for MST and still heard no thing. Did they send it by email?

Yeah, I received an email. I applied for the EnvEng PhD program and got into the MS program. No mention about funding, but they offered to reimburse some expenses for the visit day. 

edit: left out some info

Edited by 1PhDplz

23 hours ago, bigboots02 said:

Has ANYBODY here heard back from Stanford who applied during the 2nd deadline (January/without aid)?

No word.

I emailed them to check in last week. The Visit Day coordinator told me that they were entering in the results as they received the applications. I applied 6 days after the priority deadline, and still no word. I emailed them again to see if they had an idea of when results would be released (though I'm assuming at this point I've been rejected), since flights to SF/SJ are super expensive from where I'm at.  

2 hours ago, strawberrykat said:

@1PhDplz first off, congrats!! Second, did anything change in your application portal? 

No change to my application portal, they emailed me my acceptance letter. Also, I was admitted to the MEng program, not the SM/PhD. 

7 hours ago, laekkauai said:

No word.

I emailed them to check in last week. The Visit Day coordinator told me that they were entering in the results as they received the applications. I applied 6 days after the priority deadline, and still no word. I emailed them again to see if they had an idea of when results would be released (though I'm assuming at this point I've been rejected), since flights to SF/SJ are super expensive from where I'm at.  

Stanford is entering the results in the order they received the applications? ugh this makes no sense, I applied in November and have heard nothing yet and see on gradcafe that people who applied in January have already heard back?? so frustrating

2 hours ago, pinoygrad08 said:

@ibtes Did you receive the admission offer on the portal? Or is it coming from CEE Academic Affairs?

Thanks!

It came from AAO. No change in the portal.

48 minutes ago, ibtes said:

It came from AAO. No change in the portal.

I see. I haven't heard from AAO, but I already heard from a professor working with admissions for the CEE-Systems Engineering.
Still no change in the portal on my side. 

10 hours ago, ibtes said:

Berkeley's offer just arrived... MS guaranteed funding for the first 5 months.

This is totally unexpected, and greatly offsets my anxiety of waiting for MIT...

This gives me hope, I was starting to assume if we hadn't heard back by now it would be a rejection based off of past year trends

I saw a post on the results page regarding MIT CEE. Apparently someone called them and got this information:

"Our admissions committee is making their final decisions within the next 1-2 weeks. We have been notifying applicants of their decisions as soon as a decision has been reached on their application."

Well, it seems that this year they are very procrastinating and we may not get any decision soon...

16 hours ago, urban_dc said:

Stanford is entering the results in the order they received the applications? ugh this makes no sense, I applied in November and have heard nothing yet and see on gradcafe that people who applied in January have already heard back?? so frustrating

I'm wondering if it varies by the concentration within the dept? I applied to the Sustainable Design and Construction concentration. So it might be different for your application? Whatever the case, I'm not sure what their process is like, because it doesn't seem likely that they'll have decisions out prior to their Visit Day. The SDC program admin emailed me that "As of today, your application is still with the SDC admissions committee." 

17 hours ago, urban_dc said:

^ THIS!

Stanford's CEE Visit Day is in exactly ONE WEEK. I'm assuming at this point I didn't get accepted in to the Structural M.S. program (oh well, I'm already committed to Berkeley anyways!). I'm guessing I didn't make some sort of cut during the process as my GRE Verbal score was pretty low, and I had no prior faculty contact. Other than that, I fekt though my application was a shoe-in after being accepted to every other school.

STILL - it would be nice to know if I got in or not...

On a side note....who else is an incoming M.S./Ph.D. in the Berkeley CEE Department?

ANY SEMM people in the house?? B)

2 hours ago, bigboots02 said:

^ THIS!

On a side note....who else is an incoming M.S./Ph.D. in the Berkeley CEE Department?

ANY SEMM people in the house?? B)

Have you already got an update in the GradApp portal? 

Hello, 

I have applied to the following PhD programs :   

UC Berkeley, MIT, Caltech  ( No decision yet )

U Michigan ( No decision, although I had a quite positive interview with a professor in January )

UT Austin  ( Admitted, but not a word about funding although I applied to the MS/PhD track )

Anyone who has more news on the decisions for these schools ??

Edited by thanasist

@thanasist hi! Congrats on being admitted to UT! I believe most people are still waiting to hear back from the first three schools you mentioned, although I have seen some Berkeley posts. 

As far as UMich, I do know they had their open house this past weekend but if you haven't heard back yet, that's still better than a no! Did you follow up with your interviewer? 

On 3/8/2018 at 2:56 PM, 1PhDplz said:

No change to my application portal, they emailed me my acceptance letter. Also, I was admitted to the MEng program, not the SM/PhD. 

I forgot to ask this earlier. Could you share the date of MIT's visit day? Thanks!

Edited by ibtes

4 hours ago, thanasist said:

UC Berkeley, MIT, Caltech  ( No decision yet )

U Michigan ( No decision, although I had a quite positive interview with a professor in January )

UT Austin  ( Admitted, but not a word about funding although I applied to the MS/PhD track )

Anyone who has more news on the decisions for these schools ??

When I went to visit UT, they implied they were trying to get funding settled this week, so that students would have a full month to consider. But, I'm not in the structural program. 

I got into Berkeley 2 weeks ago, but again, it seems like there are a lot of people in structural waiting for decisions. With structural being (I assume) the most common masters program in civil, decisions seem to take place over a longer time?