Columbia MSW Fall 2018: Question

Gradschool33

Hey!

I applied to Columbia for the MSW program and l sent my application in before the priority deadline (the deadline was December 1st). When l submitted it, l made sure everything was attached and it was sent as completed. But today l got an email saying that they never received my transcript, and that I'm not longer on priority but rolling admission? I was certain that l submitted everything, and now I might have to wait until March to get my answer!

Here is my question: I got accepted into NYU with a 15,000 scholarship for the MSW program there. I have to decide for them by February 16th, with the deposit and everything! But if Columbia pushes me back..what should l do? I'm concerned that since I'm no longer with priority, that l lost my chances at getting a scholarship or any type of aid - which is how l was leaning towards knowing which to decide for.

Has this ever happened to anyone? I know l  uploaded and submitted the transcript but if they said they didn't get it...am l flipping out? Which school should l be leaning towards? Do I take my chances and go for Columbia but risk little aid or stick to NYU?

Sorry for such a long post lol. I'm just really confused!

thanks in advance for any help!

You can ask for an extension from NYU. Also, Columbia's portal has been acting weird. You may have to call and have them double check. For weeks it said I didn't submit a personal statement, but the system had a glitch although I could see that I uploaded it. Just call them to get it worked out. 

I just got an email saying: The Office of Admissions has received all required materials for your application to our MSW program. Your application is now complete and will enter the admission review process. Decisions for the spring term are typically released in the beginning of December and rolling thereafter. Fall decisions are typically issued in March and rolling thereafter.

I also submitted all my materials by December 1. Not sure what the email means..

3 minutes ago, o___livia said:

I just got an email saying: The Office of Admissions has received all required materials for your application to our MSW program. Your application is now complete and will enter the admission review process. Decisions for the spring term are typically released in the beginning of December and rolling thereafter. Fall decisions are typically issued in March and rolling thereafter.

I also submitted all my materials by December 1. Not sure what the email means..

Did someone submit their recommendation letter late? 

3 minutes ago, o___livia said:

I got the same email from NYU long after everything was submitted, and then was accepted a couple days later. I think both schools use the same application portal. I would just take that as they've opened your application, everything is there, and it's probably under review. I emailed the admissions office at Columbia last week and they said priority applications are currently under review and I should hear early February. Others have said decisions start coming February 1st. 

5 minutes ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

Did someone submit their recommendation letter late? 

Did you ever get that email from Columbia? I never got that email but in my portal it says everything is there. 

3 minutes ago, Gradschool33 said:

Okay! So..if they are saying they didn't get my transcript, I should just call? I'm almost certain l uploaded it, since it would have told me otherwise that l was missing it. 

Yes, definitely call! NYU at one point said they didn't get my transcript but it was a glitch. They def use the same system, it's glitchy at times. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. Was wondering if anyone here applied to Columbia's MSW program. If so, would anyone be willing to share what the instructions or questions were for recommenders regarding the letter of recommendation? Not sure if instructions for recommenders change year to year, but I think it's consistent year to year. I want to give my recommenders a head start and give them enough time to write a letter of recommendation. I just need to tell them what they need to write about. Many thanks!

-BSWTOMSW2020