Korbel School of International Studies

koppanyj22

I'm in for the International Security program!!! Woohoo!!!

I didn't get an email, I just went to the portal and checked.

jk I just got an email. So check your emails. lol

Edited by MrBP22

Hello everyone!

Congratulations to those admitted! I have just received my admission to the International Studies programme with a 10k scholarship.

Originally Denver wasn't my top choice, but now that I'm looking more into it it's starting to get more appealing. So far my main options would be Boston and NY (still waiting to hear back from the latter).

My main question is about rent. I am an international student and would like to find a place to live on my own, a studio would be fine, since my partner would come to visit and stay for months (as long as the tourist visa allowed him!). So I would like to ask the poster who lives in Denver about the possibility of finding a studio/1 br. for under $1000 near the city centre/university. Is that even feasible?  I also have an external scholarship to cover tuition and living expenses, so cost of living is definitely something that I'll factor in my decision.
And how is life in Denver in general? Are there plenty of things to do, places to visit, events, etc? I keep comparing it to my other choices of cities and and I would like to know more about living there.

Thanks! :) 

On 2/12/2018 at 1:28 AM, ShewantsthePhD101 said:

I'm not at the Korbel School, but I'm a DU student. If any of you have questions about Denver, feel free to hit me up!

@amaliaov

Congrats on getting admitted!

Rent in Denver (and Colorado in general) is pretty high right now because everyone seems to be moving here. But after a quick search (I used www.apartments.com) I found studios that were anywhere from 800-1200 per month. I think you would be able to find something if you looked hard enough.

I'm a native Coloradan so I'm pretty biased, but Denver really is a fantastic city. It has great bars (and local beer) and pretty good clubs for going out, teams in all four major sports, and is only an hour or an hour and a half from amazing skiing/snowboarding/hiking in the mountains. There are concerts and music events all the time and one of the best places in the US to go to a concert (Red Rocks Amphitheater) is about 30 minutes from Denver. You will definitely get all four seasons here; it's gonna be hot and dry in the summer and cold and snowy in the winter but on average we get around 300 days of sunshine a year. 

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Edited by MrBP22

I applied to Denver because of location and reputation for the security program. 

Aside from Denver, I only applied to ESIA. Also for security studies. But I'm near certain I'll go with Denver, even if I'm accepted at GWU. 

On 2/23/2018 at 7:37 PM, MrBP22 said:

@amaliaov

Congrats on getting admitted!

Rent in Denver (and Colorado in general) is pretty high right now because everyone seems to be moving here. But after a quick search (I used www.apartments.com) I found studios that were anywhere from 800-1200 per month. I think you would be able to find something if you looked hard enough.

I'm a native Coloradan so I'm pretty biased, but Denver really is a fantastic city. It has great bars (and local beer) and pretty good clubs for going out, teams in all four major sports, and is only an hour or an hour and a half from amazing skiing/snowboarding/hiking in the mountains. There are concerts and music events all the time and one of the best places in the US to go to a concert (Red Rocks Amphitheater) is about 30 minutes from Denver. You will definitely get all four seasons here; it's gonna be hot and dry in the summer and cold and snowy in the winter but on average we get around 300 days of sunshine a year. 

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

That's awesome thanks a lot! :) 

On 2/23/2018 at 3:21 AM, amaliaov said:

Hello everyone!

Congratulations to those admitted! I have just received my admission to the International Studies programme with a 10k scholarship.

Originally Denver wasn't my top choice, but now that I'm looking more into it it's starting to get more appealing. So far my main options would be Boston and NY (still waiting to hear back from the latter).

My main question is about rent. I am an international student and would like to find a place to live on my own, a studio would be fine, since my partner would come to visit and stay for months (as long as the tourist visa allowed him!). So I would like to ask the poster who lives in Denver about the possibility of finding a studio/1 br. for under $1000 near the city centre/university. Is that even feasible?  I also have an external scholarship to cover tuition and living expenses, so cost of living is definitely something that I'll factor in my decision.
And how is life in Denver in general? Are there plenty of things to do, places to visit, events, etc? I keep comparing it to my other choices of cities and and I would like to know more about living there.

Thanks! :) 

Rent is ridiculous. Studios start at around $800 USD, and those are bare minimum apartments. You can probably find something in your price range, but unless you're willing to consider roommates, it's gonna be a little ways from campus.

As far as social life, there is always plenty to do. Denver is a decent sized city. But it's also fairly expensive. You won't find free or cheap events very often. Also, there's been a strange uptick in violence over the last 6 months, so if you're female, you'll wanna be careful walking by yourself (especially at night). Public transit is pretty hit or miss. The lightrail (train) is pretty good, but limited where it goes. The busses are abysmal. And because marijuana is legal here, a LOT of people smoke. To the extent that certain parts of the city have that skunky odor.

Colorado itself is beautiful, but Denver has been my least favourite part of it by far. That said, DU is a lovely campus and has some phenomenal resources. 

Hey everyone, 

Congratulations to those who have been accepted. I got my acceptance today with 10K a year but I am still concerned about being able to afford it on top of Denver living expenses. I think the program sounds great and I would love to live in CO but going to wait and see about funding from GWU first. 

Any Korbel students on here who could provide any insight into the program, classes or student life?  Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:26 PM, Megabyte said:

I applied to Denver because of location and reputation for the security program. 

Aside from Denver, I only applied to ESIA. Also for security studies. But I'm near certain I'll go with Denver, even if I'm accepted at GWU. 

Why Korbel>ESIA, other than fellowship or financial reasons? I am in that debacle myself.

4 hours ago, Frosty_McGee said:

Why Korbel>ESIA, other than fellowship or financial reasons? I am in that debacle myself.

Hmm, aside from fellowship/financial reasons... I suppose I'd heard that Denver's security program was one of the best in the country. From alumni testimonials I also appreciated the apparent emphasis on practical and professional skills, as opposed to purely academic. The campus seems fairly inclusive and open - this I got from the fellowship interview and talking to a professor. In addition, Denver is a beautiful city (for me. closer to home too) that, while expensive in its own right, is nothing compared to DC. Hope that helps a bit. 

I was accepted into ESIA but did not receive nearly as much as I did from Denver. Which made the decision fairly straightforward in the end. 

• 1 month later...

Has anyone looked at their career outcomes pdf??? It's a bit dismal. Most people are working as program assistants when they graduate. I got in with little funding (5000 a year) but they dont seem to have any idea what their graduates are doing or what they are making when Ive called. I'm worried it isn't a program that prepares people for employment. Have you guys found otherwise??