"Total Value of Your Award Package"

Carly Rae Jepsen

Hi everybody, sorry if this is the wrong section but I've been admitted to this Ph.D. program and I'm having a hard time understanding what this means

"Your admission offer includes full tuition remission and a stipend in the amount of 22,000 per academic year for up to six years. The total value of your award package is $75,000.00 (changed the real quantities, but you get the point). If you accept another award from a source outside of this university, the amount of this award may be altered or deferred."

If the yearly award is 22k per academic year for six years, then how could the total value of the award package be less than 22k times 6? I assume it's possible for me to get outside aid after my first year, but what worries me is that 75k is the limit of the stipend. It is a little confusing to me.

Congrats on your funding!  Don't forget that if one school offers you more, you can ask your top-choice school if they can match it.  Worst case scenario, they say no, right?  It's a better in-person conversation (or at least over the phone), but this is an area where it is okay to negotiate.