PhD Funding Packages--Which GPA matters more?

ProudCatMom

I've noticed in a couple of the programs I have applied to that it is stated PhD funding is reserved for "exceptionally well qualified candidates" with high GPAs. But for those who have both a Bacherlor's and a Master's, which GPA do they put more emphasis on in determining this? For instance, my undergrad GPA was just ~okay~ (3.3/4.0) for a variety of reasons. However, I really flourished in my master's program and focused on dedicating myself to my courses and opportunities and will be graduating with a 4.0/4.0. Will a 'meh' undergrad GPA take away from a strong performance in my master's program in terms of funding opportunities? 

I don't have anything to add to your funding question, but as a fellow proud cat mom, I totally looked at your name and thought, "I wanna see her cats!"

Cat  people, eh?

I kind of get the sense that schools know you won't go there if they don't provide funding, so, at least in our field, it's not a matter of IF you'll get funding, it's a matter of if you get accepted.  Thus, I think that graduate GPA is probably more important.  I have a similar GPA breakdown (3.4 for UG, 4.0 for grad), and I have a solid funding offer on the table.  Especially if you took time off between your BA and MA, or have gone above and beyond in your MA work (which it looks like you have). 

You think?  I didn't know everyone's GPA in my program, but 4.0 wasn't routine (although now I want to check and see if my recollection is correct).  Do you think the people who don't have 4.0 also just tend to self-select and drop out?  I do recall that my first class had about a 25% dropout rate by the end of the semester.

On 1/31/2018 at 10:12 PM, ProudCatMom said:

I've noticed in a couple of the programs I have applied to that it is stated PhD funding is reserved for "exceptionally well qualified candidates" with high GPAs. But for those who have both a Bacherlor's and a Master's, which GPA do they put more emphasis on in determining this? For instance, my undergrad GPA was just ~okay~ (3.3/4.0) for a variety of reasons. However, I really flourished in my master's program and focused on dedicating myself to my courses and opportunities and will be graduating with a 4.0/4.0. Will a 'meh' undergrad GPA take away from a strong performance in my master's program in terms of funding opportunities? 

Given the limited information you have offered, everything @rising_star said is spot on. However, not all majors, not all undergraduate institutions, and not all Masters programs are created equal. In science and engineering a strong publication record/significant research experience can make up for a lower UG GPA. Furthermore, a 3.3 from Princeton is not the same as a 3.3 from Sonoma State. Given my personal experience, a sub-3.5 UG GPA does automatically take one out of the running for fellowship/assistantship support. That said, I am an engineering major with meaningful research experience and degrees from what the dipshits at US News consider top schools. The particulars of your situation are important. A vague profile will get you generic advice.

Edited by DiscoTech