Tips against lack of energy/motivation

Adelaide9216

Hello,

Do you have any tips against low energy and lack of motivation? I've got a lot of things to do this term but feel a bit tired (maybe from the previous semester as well). I was thinking of taking some vitamins or something but I don't know which ones would be best, I'd need to speak with a pharmacist. 

PS : I sleep 8 hours everyday and take naps whenever I can. Still feel like I have low energy.

I see you're in Canada so this may be tricky to do outdoors... But I find that the cliché advice about exercise increasing your energy is so very, very true. On days when I'm exhausted, feel like doing absolutely nothing with my body or my brain, and force myself to go for a run or do some vinyasa yoga or whatnot anyway, I leave the gym/studio feeling like the day just started over (in a good way). It's also usually a pretty rad confidence boost.

As for vitamins, a good B-complex is always a great place to start. And massage/foam roll—you'd be surprised how much myofascial release can do. 

It happens to everyone, though. Hope you're not beating yourself up about it. 

Thanks for your reply. I just went to the pharmacy and took a bottle of vitamins after speaking with the pharmacist. 

Yeah, it happens to everyone, but I still need to get things done and I feel pretty low, tired and sad lately. Thanks for caring. <3 

I felt that way last year at the end of the semester. holiday break and being away from research did the trick.

aside from that:

1. sleep

2. nutrition

3. exercise

4. meditation

it looks like you're already covering 1-3. #4 helps people focus more throughout the day. after something like 11 hours of meditation, they noticed changes in activities in the frontal cortex, which is responsible for "will power." I honestly haven't sat down enough to try it myself, but the science is there.

Have you thought about one of those sun lamps? It could be related to the lack of sunlight this time of year...

I also recommend exercising regularly, improving your diet (more fruits/veggies, less processed carbs and sugar; cutting out or reducing caffeine), and making sure to take regular breaks when you are working. 

Everyone has given you good advice. I would like to add that:

(1) you should also take a supplement for vitamin D. It is a vitamin from the sunlight, and deficiency can lead to fatigue. It is easy to have insufficient of it when there is little sunlight. 

(2) you should also get a supplement for minerals, as deficiency in some can cause fatigue, e.g. iron. If you haven't, perhaps it is a good idea to check if you are anemic. 

Personally, I take Berocca, and then a supplement for vitamin D. 

(3) have a good plan on what needs to be done. When I am overwhelmed with a lot of things and don't know where to start, I simply lose motivation. 

Personally, I find it helpful to put everything aside when I feel that I cannot continue working. As it often happens to me at night, I usually take a hot shower and then have a good night sleep. I often find that I can work productively the next day. 

(4) you should evaluate your sleep hygiene. It is good to sleep for 8 hours, but quality is very important too. Do you tend to wake up multiple times at night, e.g. going to the toilet? If so, avoid caffeine, alcohol and too much water before bedtime. If you feel that you have had enough sleep, then avoid taking extra naps, as they can make you more tired and possibly interfere with your nighttime sleep. 

(5) if you have recently started new medication, then it is wise to talk to your doctor if it can cause fatigue.