USC SPPD 2010

mppboog

I got a brief email admitting me to SPPD yesterday. It said a packet with details would follow next week. The e-mail was followed a couple hours later by an e-mail invitation to a networking reception next week in the Bay Area (where I live). This made me suspect -- although I have no evidence other than the timing -- that they sent out some Bay Area acceptances early so they could invite people to this event they happen to be having up here...

I received my acceptance to the MPP program in the mail today as well. I received two packets: one from USC Graduate Admission, and one from USC SPPD. The one from Graduate Admission contained an acceptance letter and a standard welcome package. The one from USC SPPD contained an admissions letter and notification that I had received a Dean's Merit Scholarship (full tuition). This is the first program that I applied to which has sent me funding information; I wasn't really expecting to hear this early. I'm both excited and relieved!

Hiii!

Congratulations to everyone!!

I just received my acceptance package in the mail yesterday! Same as as Liquid Kitty... except I received $18K per year instead of full tuition... want to trade??? lol. There's an event on March 26th for Dean Scholarship recipients. I'm planning to pursue the health policy concentration (MPP). This is the 3rd program I've heard back from (the other two are Dartmouth's MPH & UW's MPH in public health genetics). The other programs haven't provided information about funding (well zero from Dartmouth because that's their policy :( ), but I'm super excited about USC! Feel free to PM me if you have questions about housing/living in West LA (I'm not too familiar with downtown/near USC tho).

Fight on!

Edited by TKO

Just got the second packet, 18k dean merit scholarship. Haven't heard from any other schools.

Are you going to the Dean's Merit Scholar event on the 26th???

I got my acceptance and Dean's Merit scholarship offer in the mail yesterday, at which point I realized that USC's Dean's Merit visitation day is the same as Duke's. Anyone else in the same predicament? At least there's some travel reimbursement for USC, but I also really like Duke's program and am hesitant to miss my chance to meet other prospective students... Any thoughts?

Any admitted Fall 2010 MPA students receive the SPPD/Scholarship package yet? So far I have only received the USC Graduate Admission package, but nothing from SPPD yet. I'm thinking maybe they sent out the SPPD package to MPP admitees first and next will be the MPA notifications...

Any admitted Fall 2010 MPA students receive the SPPD/Scholarship package yet? So far I have only received the USC Graduate Admission package, but nothing from SPPD yet. I'm thinking maybe they sent out the SPPD package to MPP admitees first and next will be the MPA notifications...

No I am MPP and I'm in the same boat :(

Same here. I received the SPPD packet on Tuesday admitting me into the joint degree program in public policy & urban planning, with a 18k Dean's Merit scholarship. I'm from LA, so I'll most likely make it to the 3/26 event. Did anyone else apply for the joint degree program?

Anyone can tell me what service USC uses to deliver admissions decisions? USPS, UPS or FedEx? I am international so I am kind of anxious when it comes to postal mail deliveries...

Thanks a bunch!

I got my packet from USC Grad Admissions on 2/27 (mailed on the 26th) and my packet from SPPD on 3/3 (mailed 3/2). I live in San Diego. Both were shipped standard USPS, but I don't know what they use for overseas addresses. I was lucky enough to get a full tuition scholarship and was also selected as one of the City/County Management Fellows. I was honestly surprised I got in, but my letters of rec must have been stronger than I thought. Good luck to anyone still waiting.

Same here. I received the SPPD packet on Tuesday admitting me into the joint degree program in public policy & urban planning, with a 18k Dean's Merit scholarship. I'm from LA, so I'll most likely make it to the 3/26 event. Did anyone else apply for the joint degree program?

Glad to see another person from LA!! I just saw that a brief biography is requested for the 3/26 event. So I'll start on that soon

Did you receive admissions packets separately for each program? Or just one big packet with everything? I got an admissions packet for the MPA program, no financial aid information. But I applied for the Dual Degree in Planning and MPA so I'm curious if they send out admissions notices separately and then a large packet with everything including financial aid.

Did you receive admissions packets separately for each program? Or just one big packet with everything? I got an admissions packet for the MPA program, no financial aid information. But I applied for the Dual Degree in Planning and MPA so I'm curious if they send out admissions notices separately and then a large packet with everything including financial aid.

Hi natlowe. First of all, congrats! To be honest, I was confused about the notification process. Last week, I received a packet from the Admission Office re MPP - no mention of MPL (which had me worried at first). Then on Tuesday, I received a packet from SPPD with acceptance letters from both programs (MPP dated 2/25; MPL dated 3/1). The packet also included the Dean Merit award info (but no info on financial aid or loans). So hopefully you'll hear soon. Out of curiosity, did you apply to UCLA?

Good luck!

Edited by miga2010

Hi natlowe. First of all, congrats! To be honest, I was confused about the notification process. Last week, I received a packet from the Admission Office re MPP - no mention of MPL (which had me worried at first). Then on Tuesday, I received a packet from SPPD with acceptance letters from both programs (MPP dated 2/25; MPL dated 3/1). The packet also included the Dean Merit award info (but no info on financial aid or loans). So hopefully you'll hear soon. Out of curiosity, did you apply to UCLA?

Good luck!

Yes I did apply to UCLA. I applied for their Urban Planning graduate program. I haven't heard anything yet. I read in another thread that you got accepted into the MPP. Congrats! You must be happy! UCLA is definitely one of my top choices (program, location, family etc). Where else have you applied? Top choices?

Yes I did apply to UCLA. I applied for their Urban Planning graduate program. I haven't heard anything yet. I read in another thread that you got accepted into the MPP. Congrats! You must be happy! UCLA is definitely one of my top choices (program, location, family etc). Where else have you applied? Top choices?

Yes natlowe! I'm very excited. I'd have to say that my top choices are UCLA and USC because I would really like to stay in LA. I also applied to GSPP and HKS, but my heart is in LA. :)

Congrats to all those who get in! Can you share your GRE scores? I only did above average or average in GRE, and I always think my scores are not good enough even though my GPA is way above the average.

I actually considered applying to their MPA/MPP program before, but by then I decide to apply, I missed their Dec 15 deadline. On their website, it says the final deadline is July 1. Does anyone know the chances of getting in if someone applies for the MPP/MPA program after they offer admissions to applicants?

One more question. In terms of career choices and years of work experiences of students, what are the differences b/t their MPP and MPA program?

Thanks in advance!