Yuliya

I need some help! I am attempting to get into Nurse anesthesia school and need a verbal GRE score of 150. The first time I took the GRE, I barely studied for the verbal portion because I focused mainly on the math and the essays (I scored a 145 on the verbal). I then schedule to retake my verbal GRE and had used Magoosh (practice questions and vocabulary flashcards) to study. I also had taken at least 6 verbal exam practice tests, on which I scored anywhere from 136-150 (I used Manhattan prep, Kaplan, Princeton, and powerprep exams). I sat down to retake my GRE and scored a 145 again! The school wants me to continue retaking the verbal portion until I get a 150 on it, and I have no idea how to study anymore. English is not my first language, but this has never been an issue for me in school. Has anyone else had the same issue, if so how did you study to improve your score? 

Thank you for your help! 

I only studied using the Magoosh app and also wrote the vocabulary down on actual flashcards. Since I work fulltime, I studied for about two-three hours each night for about two months. To check on my progress, I did all the GRE online tests (2 free + 2 purchased). In the end, I did very well and scored 165 on the verbal part of the test.

What helped me much in studying was reading books that included lots of difficult vocabulary and trying to use the newly learned words in conversations (whenever I had a conversation in English)

I got 148(verbal) the first time with minor preparation. And I got 144 the second time with a little bit more preparation! Similar to what you are experiencing, I have to take the test again! I have to make 160+ to apply for a Ph.D. program. So I'm in an even worse situation. Don't give up.

One thing I learned from my experience is that (1)vocabulary is essential but (2)there is much more to do to get familiar with the test. Do study each practice question carefully and figure out why the right answer is right and why the wrong answer is wrong.  Also, I'm terrible at timing and it's very very important to practice timing before we take the real one. 

Good luck for both of us. 

If anyone needs free help on verbal I can tutor. I am good at vocab and the other parts, but I freeze on tests, so I am trying to calm myself down and take the test at the end of March. Please contact me at califgre@gmail.com. I am also good on essays since I am a writing instructor. Reach out to me if you want free services.