AAG 2018 in New Orleans

indigopierogy

Is anyone going to the AAG conference in April? I had a paper accepted, but I'm really really low on funds and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to afford to go now. However, I don't know if that looks really bad to get accepted and not go; especially when I've been applying to schools with that on my CV. My current school doesn't pay for conferences at all, they only do reimbursements, so I have to pay for my flight and hotel/Airbnb out of pocket and wait however long for them to pay me back.

What are your thoughts on going?

My S.O. and I are going. She is presenting and has funding through AAG. With funding (including a travel reimbursement) it is reasonably affordable. We have a substantial drive still but we are located in the southeast. 

Did you apply for funds from AAG? I think it's too late to apply to get funds from AAG now... Are you in a grad program now? My uni has resources external of the department that undergrads can apply for. The College if Graduate Studies offers some other options.

I didn't apply for funding through AAG, I didn't realize that that was an option. There's a Graduate Student Organization that offers reimbursement but its again, reimbursement, you have to pay out of pocket and it is only up to $500. The plane ticket is about $300 in itself, driving is not an option (it's a 20-hour drive). The school that I'm at genuinely doesn't offer much, not even for professors. 

Are you presenting your paper/have you already registered to go? The registration was the worst part for me. I'm not currently a student so I could pay the $195 + $65 for AAG registration and conference registration. Considering I'm bot presenting or anything I registered as a companion/spouse for $160. This made the most sense for me as I'm currently working in retail and just quit my job in city planning.

I don't think it would that significant to not attend at this point in a career... I was in a similar boat to you with the last 2 conferences being in Boston and San Francisco. Our department offers more options and funding for regional conferences. I the case of AAG this year my (former) department is sending a van since New Orleans is drivable from here.

I did register to go and I am supposed to be presenting at a session. -_-  I wish I could drive because I love driving, especially if its just highway, but it wouldn't be worth it in this situation. I'm thinking I'm going to pretend to go until I hear back and accept a school and then just be like, "lol, sorry....". I'll just have to talk it over with my advisor and see what she says. If she's really disappointed with me, I'll probably be guilted into running up my credit card (which I don't want to do before a move!).

Unfortunately, the deadlines for most of the travel Grant's from AAG were due December 31st. GTU (Gamma Theta Upsilon) travel Grant's applications were due February 1st. Last year I think they might have extended the deadline... I think they give $200. It might be worth a shot to reach out if your are a member. Between that and some reimbursements you might not have to load too much on a cc. Good luck!

Honestly, it's not a big deal. AAG accepts everyone and every year there are dozens of folks who don't show up. If you know someone else that's going, you could have them read your paper. The biggest thing is to make sure that the session chair knows in advance that you won't be there so they can plan accordingly.

I'll be going to AAG! My department also operates on reimbursement, so I'm having to pay for my flight and AirBnB out of pocket.

Do you live near an airport that is served by Southwest Airlines? Their fares are super low so that might be an option. Assuming you're on Long Island, they offer flights from LaGuardia and Islip airports.

At any rate, as rising_star said, it's not the end of the world if you cannot make it; just make sure to let the session organizers know. I would highly doubt that schools would think badly of you or make any adverse decisions regarding admission/funding if you cannot make it. 

• 2 weeks later...