Tulsa

Question

Hey everyone, this is my first post - thanks in advance for the input.

So, I graduated less than a year ago in economics from a good university with a 3.06 GPA. I've worked for the state government for more than a year, doing internal audit and recently realized that I want to do a PhD in counseling psychology. A psychologist I saw with some regularity during my undergrad was thrilled at the prospect of me going into counseling psych and even wrote me a letter of recommendation (I sent in an application in December to the my Alma Mater just to see if it stuck; I wasn't accepted, but didn't expect to be given than I'd only decided on counseling psychology in October).

I've been planning on applying this next cycle (Dec. 2018) in hopes of being admitted in the Fall of 2019. I've been thinking that I'll apply to 12 PhD programs, but am planning on hedging my bets with some master's applications in marriage and family therapy, social work, and even sociology. A master's degree may be a good option as it would remediate my sub-standard GPA and give me relevant research experience. What do you think, given my credentials?

-3.06 GPA in economics (business management minor)

-Fluent in Spanish from two year volunteer experience

-1 month USAID funded research experience in Lima, Peru - development economics

-159 Q 154 V (Didn't study the first time, but have recently gotten 320+ scores on multiple practice tests)

-Recently quit my job with the state, and have just accepted a full-time position working as a case manager at a facility for those who are chronically homeless and mentally ill

-Volunteer research position doing meta-analysis on religiosity and well-being (looking to do research for one more professor in free time)

Would I be best off just focusing on master's degrees for now (and then applying to PhD programs), or do I have a chance at PhD programs if I do well on the GRE and build up more psych research experience?

2 answers to this question

2 hours ago, eevans said:

Hey everyone, this is my first post - thanks in advance for the input.

So, I graduated less than a year ago in economics from a good university with a 3.06 GPA. I've worked for the state government for more than a year, doing internal audit and recently realized that I want to do a PhD in counseling psychology. A psychologist I saw with some regularity during my undergrad was thrilled at the prospect of me going into counseling psych and even wrote me a letter of recommendation (I sent in an application in December to the my Alma Mater just to see if it stuck; I wasn't accepted, but didn't expect to be given than I'd only decided on counseling psychology in October).

I've been planning on applying this next cycle (Dec. 2018) in hopes of being admitted in the Fall of 2019. I've been thinking that I'll apply to 12 PhD programs, but am planning on hedging my bets with some master's applications in marriage and family therapy, social work, and even sociology. A master's degree may be a good option as it would remediate my sub-standard GPA and give me relevant research experience. What do you think, given my credentials?

-3.06 GPA in economics (business management minor)

-Fluent in Spanish from two year volunteer experience

-1 month USAID funded research experience in Lima, Peru - development economics

-159 Q 154 V (Didn't study the first time, but have recently gotten 320+ scores on multiple practice tests)

-Recently quit my job with the state, and have just accepted a full-time position working as a case manager at a facility for those who are chronically homeless and mentally ill

-Volunteer research position doing meta-analysis on religiosity and well-being (looking to do research for one more professor in free time)

Would I be best off just focusing on master's degrees for now (and then applying to PhD programs), or do I have a chance at PhD programs if I do well on the GRE and build up more psych research experience?

Without a Psych BA I'd say an MA would give the adcom a better idea of what kind of research/work you're into and capable of doing. 

I was in a similar situation about a very poor GPA. I ended getting a second degree in Social Work and I’m currently applying to MSW programs. I eventually plan on pursing a PhD 

I think it’s great you have gotten a more relevant job! It will look great on applications. If you are strongly considering PhD, I would agree about getting an MA in a relevant field. PhD programs are super competitive, especially clinical psychology. So it would be beneficial to gain more experience & get a better GPA in grad school! Good Luck!!

Also, I’ve heard that getting a LOR from your personal therapist/ psychologist is not a good recommendation. They should be professors or supervisors from work. People who can comment on academics and work ethic.

Edited by Garcia_2020