Hello All!

I'll be submitting to NCA this year and, since it's my first time, I thought I'd make a place for all of us to discuss the conference, any tips we might have for newbies (aka me), and just as a general place to let off some steam as we prepare our papers and/or presentations.

Who has presented at NCA before? Anyone excited for Salt Lake this year? How long are presentations? Just how crazy is it really? Share anything about the NCA or your process you'd like!

For me, I'm currently making the switch from Chicago Manual to APA format and writing my paper (it's outlined and all the research is done). How about you?

Hi! 

Submitting to NCA isn't too difficult. I guess my only piece of advice there would be to present the best current draft of your work. Don't submit work you wouldn't be comfortable giving to a professor. 

Presenting at NCA can be stressful your first time, but don't worry--no one's grading you. Panels are generally 3-4 people, so each presentation ends up being 10-15 minutes. My first time presenting, I didn't really prepare as much as I should have and ended up feeling like I was rambling. Especially when I was the only grad student on a panel with established scholars. My academic idol Dana Cloud was on my panel with me so it was a bit embarrassing lol. But she gave me great advice for future directions for my research. So definitely prepare. Basically,  write a short speech summarizing your work and why it's important. Don't be dry, make the research sound as exciting as it is to you. You can either sit and the table or stand at the podium...whatever you're more comfortable with honestly.

Overall, NCA is a great time. I love it because I get to meet other scholars and reconnect with friends. SLC will be great this year!

That's awesome @aewers94 ! I saw the theme this year so, even though I'm transitioning to Comm and not starting my PhD until the Fall, I needed to submit. My MA research was all about Twitch and online gaming/geek communities so it really is a perfect fit. :) 

I would've liked to go last year, since I was in Dallas to see relatives while it was going on, but my institution wasn't willing to pay for me to just go and observe, and I had no desire to shell out hundreds of dollars of my own money.

Plus, last year's theme was kind of sad.  It felt more like, "We're relevant!  Please believe us!  We promise!"

Yes @aewers94 ! I actually spoke with a professor in the Game Studies Division (about whether my paper is a better fit for them or Performance Studies) and they suggested it's a great fit for Game Studies so that's what I'm going with. :) 

That sucks @E-P :/ I'm glad this year's theme is better. Do you think you'll make it out this year?

I think NCA is as magical as you make it!! I def second everything @aewers94 said!! Clear, thorough, well-articulated arguments are what has helped me (but some other questions stuff is certainly accepted). Best articulating the paper fit is important depending on the division. You may have to do some tweaking to ensure the call is clearly tied to your paper. 

I am always in favor of engaging presentations. You only get so much time and people really just want to know the "meat" of your work...so make it as interesting as you think it is! The worst is when someone reads their paper, and it feels as though they are slowly disappearing from the planet!! 

The conference can be as crazy or as chill as you make it. I prefer to go to as many presentations and lectures as possible - but I just love all the conversations that occur! 

Also, the food. I enjoy eating my way through the city it is hosted!! Because, food? Always, food. 

6 hours ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

That sucks @E-P :/ I'm glad this year's theme is better. Do you think you'll make it out this year?

Unknown.  I figure that whomever ends up being my faculty advisor will tell me.  How do you know that you're going?  Are you planning on paying your own way?

@E-P I plan on submitting so, if I get accepted, I'll have to go. I want to go anyways because it'll be my first comm conference. A few of my programs offer travel funds for national and international conferences, so there's a good chance it'll be paid for. That's one of the things I'm considering when it's time to choose a program. :)