MPA/MPP Applications, Fall 2018 (Canada)

6 minutes ago, DaBear said:

First time poster here - I am in the same boat. I only applied to UVic because I live in Victoria and would like to stay here. My on campus application is still under review so things aren't looking bright for me either.

What kind of experience do you have? My GPA isn't the best which might be hurting me. My last two years of my undergrad BA (Political Science) works out to about a 3.5 (B+ average) which is the minimum requirement.

I do have 2 years' of public sector experience though...

Our backgrounds sound very similar.

I completed a Diploma of Public Admin after my BA and I received a 4.0 GPA, but I don't know if my college transcript is even relevant for admissions. I also have  experience managing non-profit organizations in addition to my public sector experience, but again, not sure how much UVic cares about professional experience... I've received decisions to all of my other applications a month ago; at this point, it feels like I've been waiting for Uvic for 100 years. 

6 minutes ago, megtree said:

Our backgrounds sound very similar.

I completed a Diploma of Public Admin after my BA and I received a 4.0 GPA, but I don't know if my college transcript is even relevant for admissions. I also have  experience managing non-profit organizations in addition to my public sector experience, but again, not sure how much UVic cares about professional experience... I've received decisions to all of my other applications a month ago; at this point, it feels like I've been waiting for Uvic for 100 years. 

Thanks for the info! At least I am not alone. I am currently employed by the BC Public Service which is great experience in itself. And at the end of the day if I do not get accepted I still have a job to build upon my experience. However, I am starting to hit a wall in my career where my areas of interest in the public service (policy) rely heavily on their applications having an MPA or something along those lines. What made UVic fascinating to me was the Co-op experience. Almost everyone I have met that did their co-ops with the BC Gov got hired right when they finished their degrees.

20 minutes ago, DaBear said:

Thanks for the info! At least I am not alone. I am currently employed by the BC Public Service which is great experience in itself. And at the end of the day if I do not get accepted I still have a job to build upon my experience. However, I am starting to hit a wall in my career where my areas of interest in the public service (policy) rely heavily on their applications having an MPA or something along those lines. What made UVic fascinating to me was the Co-op experience. Almost everyone I have met that did their co-ops with the BC Gov got hired right when they finished their degrees.

Hah! I'm an islander and the program's structured series of co-op terms are what attracted me to UVic too. I'd also like to bridge into the BC provincial government (currently work for the federal government). I'll be moving to Winnipeg for U of M's MPA program if I'm rejected from UVic, so I'm REALLY hoping for a miracle. I miss the mountains and mild weather already and I haven't even left the west coast yet :'(

14 minutes ago, megtree said:

Hah! I'm an islander and the program's structured series of co-op terms are what attracted me to UVic too. I'd also like to bridge into the BC provincial government (currently work for the federal government). I'll be moving to Winnipeg for U of M's MPA program if I'm rejected from UVic, so I'm REALLY hoping for a miracle. I miss the mountains and mild weather already and I haven't even left the west coast yet :'(

I'm also waiting on UVic. My application says "Under review" as well. Thank you for the information!

On 4/13/2018 at 3:04 PM, Oliveira28 said:

I'm also waiting on UVic. My application says "Under review" as well. Thank you for the information!

FYI: I just called UVIC's grad secretary to confirm they finished sending offers. She said they are still waiting on some responses and if there are any spaces remaining by the end of the week, then they will send final offers out early next week. 

4 hours ago, megtree said:

FYI: I just called UVIC's grad secretary to confirm they finished sending offers. She said they are still waiting on some responses and if there are any spaces remaining by the end of the week, then they will send final offers out early next week. 

Hi megtree, thanks for the info. Was that information for the on campus program only?

20 hours ago, megtree said:

Well, best of luck to all of us that are still waiting to find out! Hopefully some of us are the lucky ones to get a final offer!!

I contacted the program administrator for the Ryerson MPPA program asking to provide any info in terms of when PT applicants can accept a response. This is the (form) letter I received back: 

Dear LLEDU,

Thanks for your inquiry and your continuous interest in the Master of Arts in Public Policy and Administration (MPPA) Program, Ryerson University.

Please note that the MPPA Admissions, Scholarships, and Awards Committee is working as quickly as possible; however, graduate school admissions decisions are complex and therefore require careful review. If your application has met the eligibility requirements for both the Yeates School of Graduate Studies (YSGS) and the MPPA Program, then your file is currently under consideration.  

At this point, the MPPA Admissions, Scholarships, and Awards Committee is meeting and making decisions. You will be notified after the Committee adjudicates your application. 

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards.

---

So I guess the waiting continues! 

Edited by lledu

Thank you!

2 hours ago, lledu said:

I contacted the program administrator for the Ryerson MPPA program asking to provide any info in terms of when PT applicants can accept a response. This is the (form) letter I received back: 

Dear LLEDU,

Thanks for your inquiry and your continuous interest in the Master of Arts in Public Policy and Administration (MPPA) Program, Ryerson University.

Please note that the MPPA Admissions, Scholarships, and Awards Committee is working as quickly as possible; however, graduate school admissions decisions are complex and therefore require careful review. If your application has met the eligibility requirements for both the Yeates School of Graduate Studies (YSGS) and the MPPA Program, then your file is currently under consideration.  

At this point, the MPPA Admissions, Scholarships, and Awards Committee is meeting and making decisions. You will be notified after the Committee adjudicates your application. 

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards.

---

So I guess the waiting continues! 

thank you!

On 4/20/2018 at 7:25 PM, DashDotDashDot said:

From Reddit to this forum to Twitter, I can’t find anything one way or the other regarding any admissions for the UVIC MPA Online (happy for everyone who got on-campus!) Is anyone else in the same place right now, or, does anyone have anything new to report?

Hi, I’m in the same position too. I’m having difficulty finding info for the online program as well. It’s a bit odd that no one has updates for the online program. Kind of frustrating as some of us have been waiting since November/December of 2017.

On 4/22/2018 at 6:33 PM, Sherazi said:

anyone heard from SFU yet ?I have applied to SFU, waterloo still waiting for the decision .:( I am a domestic student

Nope. There was already a round of offers in early March. I e-mailed last week, and they said they were still in the process of making offers.

Sad to say, but I feel like it's getting a little late in the game to have much hope, but that's also because I've beaten myself senseless with stress. So who knows, really.

8 minutes ago, Tiakc said:

Got a rejection email from Ryerson MPPA -PT today. So I guess part time offers are out now.

Yes, same here. Its a bummer I thought I had a fair chance. Can you tell me more details about your academic background and working experience along with GPA? 

I have a 4.18/4.33 GPA BA in Early Childhood Studies from Ryerson. Graduated last July 2017. I currently work for City of Toronto Children Services. Did a research internship at Ryerson. Still in shock that I did not get in.

Sorry you did not get in. I guess it was very competitive.

29 minutes ago, Tiakc said:

I have a 4.18/4.33 GPA BA in Early Childhood Studies from Ryerson. Graduated last July 2017. I currently work for City of Toronto Children Services. Did a research internship at Ryerson. Still in shock that I did not get in.

Whoa ?

38 minutes ago, Tiakc said:

Wow thats pretty awesome! I have GPA 3.7 last 2 year's and overall 3.0. Took public policy in undergrad and worked with fed government for 3 years in a somewhat related field. Sorry to hear you didnt get in as well. I will be applying again next year and I think theres a higher chance of getting in ft vs pt because there are more seats. Good luck and thanks for sharing!