MPA/MPP Applications, Fall 2018 (Canada)

8 minutes ago, letsgotogradeschool said:

Got accepted into UofT MPP with a $7000 scholarship! 

Anyone know if someone's thrown together a Class of 2020 Facebook group yet? 

Congratulations! I think this is the first time I've come across $7k funding. Are you a domestic student?

Also, I'd like to know about the Facebook group too!

11 minutes ago, mppmgaapplicant2018 said:

Congratulations! I think this is the first time I've come across $7k funding. Are you a domestic student?

Also, I'd like to know about the Facebook group too!

Thanks, congratulations to you too! And, yes, I'm a domestic student. Does anyone how entrance scholarships are awarded? I was definitely surprised because my cGPA is more or less average in a competitive sense.

Is anyone applying for the Collaborative Specialization?

Congratulations everyone these got the offers!!!Yayyyyy!

Does anyone get the answer from MPPA part time study of Carleton uni? Mine status is “recommended for assessment” from Feb 23,2018! No further update! I am a domestic student and applied for part-time so no funding application obviously! Just getting a little bit nervous now though university said whole process takes 4-6 weeks. 

N:B: missed the first deadline so applied Feb 13th.

Good Luck to rest of us!!

Edited by ESA

1 hour ago, JohnTitor said:

Anyone else still waiting on Waterloo? I was told that all the offers would be out March 11 latest, but I still have not heard anything yet. I have a funded MA Poli Sci offer from another good school i'm holding onto, but I thought I had a really good shot at getting into the MPS program.

Who told you that? I just asked and admission decisions are still being made.

8 minutes ago, patel69 said:

Who told you that? I just asked and admission decisions are still being made.

My advisor. I was just about to call the university and ask. I tried calling yesterday but I didn't an answer all day, I guess they are very busy!

8 minutes ago, JohnTitor said:

My advisor. I was just about to call the university and ask. I tried calling yesterday but I didn't an answer all day, I guess they are very busy!

Oh okay. Yeah i just called the department and it may take until the end of march. 

16 minutes ago, patel69 said:

Oh okay. Yeah i just called the department and it may take until the end of march. 

Well, that's not good... I already asked for an extension on my other offer with the March 11 deadline in mind. Good thing I asked for a couple weeks extra, but not until the end of March...

10 hours ago, letsgotogradeschool said:

Thanks, congratulations to you too! And, yes, I'm a domestic student. Does anyone how entrance scholarships are awarded? I was definitely surprised because my cGPA is more or less average in a competitive sense.

Is anyone applying for the Collaborative Specialization?

It's a combination of your references, grades, resume and personal statement, if I'm not wrong.

Are you going to be accepting your offer?

32 minutes ago, mppmgaapplicant2018 said:

It's a combination of your references, grades, resume and personal statement, if I'm not wrong.

Are you going to be accepting your offer?

Yup, will be mailing my acceptance and deposit sometime soon! The fact that we have to respond to offers via mail rather than online seems archaic to me.

Will you be accepting yours?

43 minutes ago, letsgotogradeschool said:

Yup, will be mailing my acceptance and deposit sometime soon! The fact that we have to respond to offers via mail rather than online seems archaic to me.

Will you be accepting yours?

Tell me about it! 

I've been accepted to Munk as well, and I'm having a hard time choosing between the two schools at this point. Going to be meeting/talking to a few people and probably be making a final decision within the next couple of weeks. It's so much more difficult when you know you can't go wrong with either choice. 

Edited by mppmgaapplicant2018

14 hours ago, mppmgaapplicant2018 said:

Tell me about it! 

I've been accepted to Munk as well, and I'm having a hard time choosing between the two schools at this point. Going to be meeting/talking to a few people and probably be making a final decision within the next couple of weeks. It's so much more difficult when you know you can't go wrong with either choice. 

That's amazing! For sure, can't go wrong with either choice. What are you hoping to achieve through your grad studies? Are you leaning towards one over the other?

6 hours ago, letsgotogradeschool said:

That's amazing! For sure, can't go wrong with either choice. What are you hoping to achieve through your grad studies? Are you leaning towards one over the other?

I applied to Munk and SPPG for two very different reasons. The primary thrust behind my application to Munk was an interest in international peace and security and I'd ideally like to pursue conflict analysis/resolution as a career stream if I were to choose Munk. My application to the SPPG, by contrast, was motivated by an interest to immerse myself in issues related to automation and the job displacement/losses that occur (or will occur) as a result of its encroachment in blue and white collared jobs. 

I can't really definitively say I'm leaning toward one over the other at this point. 

How about you? Did you apply elsewhere? Any particular reason you chose SPPG?

54 minutes ago, mppmgaapplicant2018 said:

I applied to Munk and SPPG for two very different reasons. The primary thrust behind my application to Munk was an interest in international peace and security and I'd ideally like to pursue conflict analysis/resolution as a career stream if I were to choose Munk. My application to the SPPG, by contrast, was motivated by an interest to immerse myself in issues related to automation and the job displacement/losses that occur (or will occur) as a result of its encroachment in blue and white collared jobs. 

I can't really definitively say I'm leaning toward one over the other at this point. 

How about you? Did you apply elsewhere? Any particular reason you chose SPPG?

Those are incredibly cool interests, dang.

I only applied for another program and that was the Master of Public Health at UBC, which may or may not seem quite different from a Master in Public Policy. Always been really interested in the policies and socioeconomic factors that shape health outcomes and so I was drawn to to a MPP. A MPH would be great, but I felt there was greater flexibility in a MPP and could still work within the public health realm.

Ideally, I'd love to build a career in global health, either in global health security or international development through health-systems strengthening. There aren't many quality graduate programs in Canada that would help me explore that specifically, but SPPG seemed like the best place to build the relevant skills and make connections to global health circles (at least I hope). Maybe in hindsight I should have also applied to Munk, but I think I would have had a harder chance getting in. 

Edited by letsgotogradeschool

10 hours ago, goingwiththeflow said:

Hey, how were you able to defer your admission. Can you tell me?

Also very curious about this. 

Anyone know if it is possible to request for more time to decide once an offer is made? 

38 minutes ago, letsgotogradeschool said:

Those are incredibly cool interests, dang.

I only applied for another program and that was the Master of Public Health at UBC, which may or may not seem quite different from a Master in Public Policy. Always been really interested in the policies and socioeconomic factors that shape health outcomes and so I was drawn to to a MPP. A MPH would be great, but I felt there was greater flexibility in a MPP and could still work within the public health realm.

Ideally, I'd love to build a career in global health, either in global health security or international development through health-systems strengthening. There aren't many quality graduate programs in Canada that would help me explore that specifically, but SPPG seemed like the best place to build the relevant skills and make connections to global health circles (at least I hope). Maybe in hindsight I should have also applied to Munk, but I think I would have had a harder chance getting in. 

I definitely think you made the right choice by choosing SPPG. It's a good thing Munk and SPPG are amalgamating this fall! I'd imagine you'd have a greater opportunity of shaping your MPP education with a transnational lens. 

Side-note: I was pretty excited by the news that the school was now going to be called the Munk School of Global Affairs and Public Policy. Sounds fancy, eh?

5 minutes ago, DCrSS said:

Do you guys want to make a SPPG 2020 group ourselves for Facebook? 

Yeah, let's do it!

46 minutes ago, idkyet said:

Also very curious about this. 

Anyone know if it is possible to request for more time to decide once an offer is made? 

I was only able to defer because I told SPPG that I had a job offer at the time. The job was relevant to the program, as I'm currently doing policy work for government, and I also made the argument that the job would be a benefit for me in terms of finances, so I guess that made them willing to permit the deferral.