What would you do?

indigopierogy

So this post is predicated on me getting things that aren't set in stone yet, so its more of a hypothetical at this point.

I want to go to a Geography Ph.D. program, but one where I can also focus on Gender Studies. There is one program that is a dual Ph.D. in Geography and Women's and Gender Studies, which I haven't heard back yet, but I feel really good about it. However, I definitively got accepted to another program which is less prestigious and they also nominated me for a university-wide fellowship and their department is raising their GA stipends. The second program, I would only be able to get a Women's and Gender Studies Certificate, which would enable me to do the same level of teaching a dual degree would, but I'm not sure which one I would go with, especially if it just comes down to money and areas the universities are in. 

What would you do in this scenario? Is there something I'm not considering (apart from I haven't actually been accepted yet at the first place which will 100% solve this problem, lol)?

12 hours ago, indigopierogy said:

There is one program that is a dual Ph.D. in Geography and Women's and Gender Studies, which I haven't heard back yet, but I feel really good about it. 

FYI, if you're referring to the program I think you are, they aren't sure if they will be able to fund anyone coming in this year for at least the first year. So I wouldn't count on that, if funding matters to you. PM me, and we can talk more!

13 hours ago, rising_star said:

If your plan is to teach, I'd work with the best advisor possible. WVU isn't well-known for human geography...

Do you think that potential jobs would see a human geographer from a school that isn't well known for human geography and go, "euuhh"? Because here is where I become conflicted in the academics:

I am becoming more and more interested in adding GIS work to my dissertation, and WVU has great applied GIS faculty, along with a couple of human geographers who are very interesting. Moving to WV would also give me an opportunity to work with a new community, as the community that I was trying to work with originally shut me out and it is located where University 2 is.

The other school (University 2), my POI is absolutely fantastic, and I love his work. I also think that he and the faculty have great things to offer me in terms of human geography, but something about the student community there seemed off. Maybe when I visited, it was just that it was a little clique-ish and I couldn't really get a good sense of how I would fit in. I don't know if that's a rational position to take though.

Have you actually visited WVU? In terms of academic jobs, I'd take a look at the placement records both for the departments and for the specific faculty you're interested in working with. I'm not saying WVU is a bad program but, it may make it harder to get an academic position depending on your interests.