I'm seeking advice on applying to different PhD programs!!

mswcandidate18

I wanted to seek the community to ask about advice in applying to different PhD programs.

- For Clinical and Counseling Psychology PhD: Do GRE's matter? Do connections matter? Also, if I go to a PhD program for clinical psychology in Canada and come back to the U.S., can I be a faculty and researcher at a institution in the U.S.?

-I also wanted to apply to Human Development and Family Systems programs because my research interest matches well with that field. Can I still become a researcher and a faculty within a psychology department (since it is related)? Is it competitive to get into that program? Any information that you all can give me would be great!

Also, would I be a great candidate for these programs? I currently am a M.A. student at a Clinical Psychology program, have a 4.0 graduate GPA (so far) and 3.7 undergraduate GPA, am a lab coordinator for a lab that focuses on sexual health, pain, romantic relationships in older adults, have 2 1/2 years of research experience before that, 6 poster presentation, and 4 manuscripts in preparation. I also am a graduate intern at a Mood and Anxiety Disorders clinic, and have had previous experience as a life coach at my alma mater's counseling center. Thank you!!

2 hours ago, AnxiousHopeful said:

For Clinical and Counseling Psychology PhD: Do GRE's matter? Do connections matter? Also, if I go to a PhD program for clinical psychology in Canada and come back to the U.S., can I be a faculty and researcher at a institution in the U.S.?

Yep GREs definitely matter. When I started applying a faculty member told me that you should be above the 60th percentile in both sections to get in, and probably above 75th or 80th to be more competitive. However, I know people with lower that have also gotten in, and people with great GREs who haven't gotten in. They evaluate the application as a whole, so being strong in other areas will help pull up a low GRE sometimes.

I would say not having connections doesn't matter that much, but if you have some they can absolutely help. 

As long as a program is APA accredited you should be good to work in the U.S. when you graduate.

2 hours ago, AnxiousHopeful said:

Also, would I be a great candidate for these programs? I currently am a M.A. student at a Clinical Psychology program, have a 4.0 graduate GPA (so far) and 3.7 undergraduate GPA, am a lab coordinator for a lab that focuses on sexual health, pain, romantic relationships in older adults, have 2 1/2 years of research experience before that, 6 poster presentation, and 4 manuscripts in preparation. I also am a graduate intern at a Mood and Anxiety Disorders clinic, and have had previous experience as a life coach at my alma mater's counseling center. Thank you!!

This all sounds great! Good GPA's, great research experiences, and having a M.A. all help. If you are applying to labs with research that is in the same field as the research you have already done, you should be near the top of the pack in terms of research experiences. If you are applying to labs in different fields, it is still good, but you will have to make a clear statement of how your interests tie together. I would focus on doing well on the GRE, getting good LORs, writing a great statement, and applying to labs with a great fit. If you do that you should have a good chance! Good luck!

The APA doesn't accredit Canadian programs anymore, but if you're set on a research career that shouldn't be too big of an issue. Also, I'm thinking that the life coach experience might actually be looked down upon. I'm curious as to what other people think about that.

Gre matters! I talked to a professor at a very prestigious school before and he suggested to get 90% on GRE to be competitive. Many schools post average GRE school online and it can be a reference. However, I do not have a competitive GRE score but still get into a program so I guess the minimum line is to reach the average score of the school. I would say connection matters somehow but not entirely. I know people work in the professor's lab applied for the same professor but didn't get into the program. I would suggest to send out emails in summer to reach out the potential PI so they can have an impression on you (even talk over the phone or meet in person if possible).  

Your experience is a BIG plus! Publication is really important!

On 2/22/2018 at 12:08 PM, AnxiousHopeful said:

I also wanted to apply to Human Development and Family Systems programs because my research interest matches well with that field. Can I still become a researcher and a faculty within a psychology department (since it is related)?

If your ultimate goal is to become a psychology faculty member, the most important thing is to develop a competitive CV with high impact publications in journals that psychologists will recognize. Do faculty in that program publish in, say, the Journal of Abnormal Psychology or the Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology? It's not just interests now, but whether your interests will ultimately line up with what other psychologists are seeking (and can recognize as quality work).

2 hours ago, FutureResearcher said:

I would say connection matters somehow but not entirely. I know people work in the professor's lab applied for the same professor but didn't get into the program.

To add to this, connections can matter in the sense that a reference letter from someone who is known, either personally or by reputation, to your potential advisor will go a lot farther than a letter from a stranger. It's not just direct connections of knowing that person, getting into their lab.