What exactly is "to be waitlisted"?

Spectrum

So this means that they have decided upon their definite admitted and rejected applicants and I was not one of them; and now they are waiting to see whether one of their admitted applicants declines their offer or not to then put me in his/her place. Right?

What other explanations/possibilities does this being waitlisted term have?

Since this school has first rank in the program I've applied I guess that being waitlisted is pretty much the same as being rejected. Right?

I already have an offer from another program. Am I safe to forget all about this dream school of mine and apply for visa with the one I've already got admitted in?

Thank you all for your answers

Since this school has first rank in the program I've applied I guess that being waitlisted is pretty much the same as being rejected. Right?

Not necessarily. I am in a top program in my field, and we do sometimes lose admitted students to other programs for reasons such as research fit. Last year, for example, the one waitlisted applicant did end up getting an offer. However, if you do get an offer, it may come fairly close to April 15th or even later.

Best of luck!

Not necessarily. The sociology program at UC Berkeley ranked first according to USNews in 2009, and in the three years before that year, they admitted 30 something applicants, while 16 finally attended. The number could be slightly wrong, but the thing is basically like that.

However, if you do get an offer, it may come fairly close to April 15th or even later.

Best of luck!

What if I accept an offer at School A, and find out after April 15 that School B has taken me off its waitlist and is now offering admission?

Could I go back to School A and say, "thanks, nevermind," and then attend School B instead, or is it too late?

What is the protocol for this?

What if I accept an offer at School A, and find out after April 15 that School B has taken me off its waitlist and is now offering admission?

Could I go back to School A and say, "thanks, nevermind," and then attend School B instead, or is it too late?

It happens, although not very frequently I guess. As a result, I would write to all schools I'm waitlisted before 4/15.

If it really happen, then what? Indeed, there's a thread about this situation. See

If you get accepted at your dream school after you've already accepted another offer, I don't know that anyone would blame you for following your dreams. After all, you're the one that's gotta do all the work after you get in, so shouldn't you at least enjoy yourself while you're doing it, if at all possible?