Emailing a school after being waitlisted

I was recently waitlisted at one of my top choice schools. There is no ranking order and they informed me that there is no time frame as to when I would hear about a decision. I have heard of people emailing the school and expressing interest in the school/program again, but some people have told me not to do this. So my question is do I contact the school and what should I include in the email?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

I've experienced the same where people have advised I shouldn't and others say you should. I've personally emailed to restate my interest being I'm waitlisted as well and all she did was acknowledge it was received and thank me. The email, in my opinion, doesn't seem like it can hurt. Especially if it's done ONCE in a brief and concise way that restates your enthusiasm for the program without coming off desperate. There's a delicate method to it. I'm not sure if it can heighten your chances significantly but it definitely can't hurt as long as you're not menacing! Good luck and do what's best for you!

On March 4, 2018 at 1:50 PM, menalta17 said:

I've experienced the same where people have advised I shouldn't and others say you should. I've personally emailed to restate my interest being I'm waitlisted as well and all she did was acknowledge it was received and thank me. The email, in my opinion, doesn't seem like it can hurt. Especially if it's done ONCE in a brief and concise way that restates your enthusiasm for the program without coming off desperate. There's a delicate method to it. I'm not sure if it can heighten your chances significantly but it definitely can't hurt as long as you're not menacing! Good luck and do what's best for you!

Would you mind sharing how you put this into an e-mail? I want to send an e-mail as well! Thanks and good luck to you :) 

I emailed a school I got waitlisted on. I thanked them for placing me in the waitlist and stated it was my top choice. I then asked a few questions about the waitlist since they weren’t included in the first email (which doesn’t apply to you since they already said they’re not disclosing time frames or where you stand on the list) and then I said if there was anything they needed from me during the process to please reach out. I haven’t gotten a response yet but that school is on spring break and I bet her inbox is super full with emails just like mine. 

On 3/6/2018 at 6:29 PM, Felice said:

Would you mind sharing how you put this into an e-mail? I want to send an e-mail as well! Thanks and good luck to you :) 

I wrote something like:

"Hello Dr. ___________________!

This is ___________ __________, a Fall 2018 _______________ PhD applicant. A short time ago I received an email stating that I would be considered a __________________ until a (space? spot? whatever you want to call it) opened. Therefore, I am emailing you to confirm and restate my interest in _______________________ PhD program, especially in the event of a (slot? space) opening! The program is my top choice due to ________________________________________, ____________________________________________, as well as ___________________________________. These factors offer very rare and unique opportunities! While I am disappointed that I was not among those initially offered, I am still very excited about the possibility of studying at ___________________________________. Please let me know if you have any questions for me!

Thank you for your consideration and please keep me updated!

(Your name)"
I attempted my best to take out personal info, so it's a bit rough on the edges but this is the general idea of the email I sent.

4 hours ago, menalta17 said:

I wrote something like:

"Hello Dr. ___________________!

This is ___________ __________, a Fall 2018 _______________ PhD applicant. A short time ago I received an email stating that I would be considered a __________________ until a (space? spot? whatever you want to call it) opened. Therefore, I am emailing you to confirm and restate my interest in _______________________ PhD program, especially in the event of a (slot? space) opening! The program is my top choice due to ________________________________________, ____________________________________________, as well as ___________________________________. These factors offer very rare and unique opportunities! While I am disappointed that I was not among those initially offered, I am still very excited about the possibility of studying at ___________________________________. Please let me know if you have any questions for me!

Thank you for your consideration and please keep me updated!

(Your name)"
I attempted my best to take out personal info, so it's a bit rough on the edges but this is the general idea of the email I sent.

Thank you so much :)