Harvard Ed. M. Funding 2018

edu_21

Hey!

I saw an old thread on this so I figured I'd start another one up for the upcoming year! I was just accepted to the Masters in L & T at Harvard, and I am currently worried quite a bit because I'd obviously love to go to Harvard, but I am afraid of just how much debt I will have to incur to go, for just a year. There are several resources that are available on the Admitted HGSE website, however, I'd like to know if anyone has a good understanding of what previous financial aid packages look like and what we might expect. Thanks!

I think they vary quite a bit. In 2013, I was offered a $20k scholarship/merit award, but that wasn't enough to enable me to attend. And it seemed to be on the high side, too, compared to other posters. As far as I could tell from other posters, they take into account how much savings you have in their offer letters, so I guess I was "lucky" I didn't have any. 

17 hours ago, Levon3 said:

I think they vary quite a bit. In 2013, I was offered a $20k scholarship/merit award, but that wasn't enough to enable me to attend. And it seemed to be on the high side, too, compared to other posters. As far as I could tell from other posters, they take into account how much savings you have in their offer letters, so I guess I was "lucky" I didn't have any. 

Thanks for the update! I don't really have any savings to speak of so I hope that is factored in.

6 minutes ago, memphismocha said:

I'm wondering if an admitted student's savings or funds in their name (like stocks) are considered by admissions when they are deciding who to give merit scholarships & fellowships to...Does anyone have any info about this? 

Levon3 hinted at this. I'm pretty sure that they do that, based on the fact that it is need based. But Merit-Based funding won't have anything to do with that.

18 minutes ago, memphismocha said:

Ok, so need-based financial aid does take that into account, whereas merit scholarships (like the urban scholarship for example) does not. Good to know. Thanks! :) 

Yeah, on the admitted students website, they link to a good PDF of fellowship and scholarship descriptions. The Urban Scholars Fellowship is also one that I hope to get, being a Title I educator for close to 8 years!

@edu_21 Yes, I'm with you there... I don't know how competitive I'd be for the fellowship or how many other admitted students in Human Development & Psych have urban education background, but I'm a TFA alum & this is my 5th year in the classroom. Fingers crossed for us both :)  

45 minutes ago, memphismocha said:

@edu_21 Yes, I'm with you there... I don't know how competitive I'd be for the fellowship or how many other admitted students in Human Development & Psych have urban education background, but I'm a TFA alum & this is my 5th year in the classroom. Fingers crossed for us both :)  

Hey! I am a TFA alum too, seventh year at my placement school. Good luck to you!

21 hours ago, idk0509 said:

I got a call earlier today about Urban Scholars. Does anyone know if it's possible to get financial aid in addition to a fellowship? Hope that doesn't sound too greedy...lol.

Me as well! I don't know, but it doesn't seem likely as I believe their goal is not to fully fund several but spread out the funding to other admits.