UVA MSDS vs NCSU MSA

VA2001

I got accepted into both the MS. Data Science program at the University of Virginia and the MS Analytics program at NC State.

Both are 10 months and are rigorous. NCSU's program is more established, but UVA's brand name seems bigger and more focused on emerging tech like R. I hear NCSU is primarily focused on SAS training. Both seem good job opportunity wise, UVA has a 100% employment rate with good companies and NCSU is up there as well, and I'm international so job opportunities after graduating is important to me.

Any thoughts on both programs? How are they? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by VA2001

I was also accepted into the UVA program. I honestly think at that point you should just be comparing actual courses, name recognition, location, and cost of attendance (although I'm pretty sure they're extremely similar for that). They have such similar career placement outcomes that I feel like it's the little things that will make the difference here. 

Are you looking at any other programs at all?

On 3/8/2018 at 10:06 AM, businessanalyticsgirl said:

I was also accepted into the UVA program. I honestly think at that point you should just be comparing actual courses, name recognition, location, and cost of attendance (although I'm pretty sure they're extremely similar for that). They have such similar career placement outcomes that I feel like it's the little things that will make the difference here. 

Are you looking at any other programs at all?

I am waiting on Washington to get back to me, which would be my automatic number 1 but I'm prepared to be rejected for that one so I'm evaluating these two for now. I got into a few business analytics courses in Purdue and Michigan State but I would much rather do a data science degree.

6 hours ago, sjswhawmf said:

Can I ask a question? Did you graduate the undergrad school inside the US or outside?

And when did you have an interview and get a notice that you're admitted?

Yes I did my undergrad from UT Austin. Did my interview about 2 weeks ago, got admitted last week.

On 3/11/2018 at 9:42 PM, VA2001 said:

I am waiting on Washington to get back to me, which would be my automatic number 1 but I'm prepared to be rejected for that one so I'm evaluating these two for now. I got into a few business analytics courses in Purdue and Michigan State but I would much rather do a data science degree.

Doesnt NCSU have like a really fast decision deadline? Have you decided?

Ya I'm waiting on Northwestern or Columbia  which im expecting a reject or waitlist from but otherwise going to UVA if i dont get those. 

15 hours ago, businessanalyticsgirl said:

Doesnt NCSU have like a really fast decision deadline? Have you decided?

Ya I'm waiting on Northwestern or Columbia  which im expecting a reject or waitlist from but otherwise going to UVA if i dont get those. 

2 weeks yep ending Friday. I'll probably stick with UVA at this point. NCSU seems very strong in the triangle but the curriculum based on my research seems too focused on SAS.

Edited by VA2001

• 5 months later...