TA income monthly after taxes?

Clongoria90

I have been accepted and told I unofficially have a TA position lined up from my POI at Rutgers in the PhD program for Applied Physiology and Kinesiology. I have not heard anything else for funding or how much to expect per month.

Is there a ballpark number I can at least expect per month? I'm trying to get an idea of what I can work with but I can't find any information on that program specifically (it's new --> 2014 start)

This can range very much from school to school and program to program. Even different levels of appointments within the same program. And you may have funding from other sources than TA (e.g. fellowships etc.). I think it is a good idea to say that you are happy to hear the good news and ask if there will be more information about the TA position / funding forthcoming.

7 hours ago, Clongoria90 said:

I have been accepted and told I unofficially have a TA position lined up from my POI at Rutgers in the PhD program for Applied Physiology and Kinesiology. I have not heard anything else for funding or how much to expect per month.

Is there a ballpark number I can at least expect per month? I'm trying to get an idea of what I can work with but I can't find any information on that program specifically (it's new --> 2014 start)

Congratulations! I answered your waitlist post weeks ago. I did not admitted by Rice, either. Luckily, I have accepted the TA offer from Cornell.

I must say to you that don't worry about the tax since the annual taxable income of TA is very low. This holds true sadly in almost every country on the planet!

In addition, the stipend rates are adjusted yearly by the grad school administration to make sure you can focus on your studies.

(High enough to make a living, but low from living a luxurious life.) 

The TA offer usually covers only 9 months during academic year, but you could make the rest from summer-session appointments.

On 3/8/2018 at 4:48 PM, Clongoria90 said:

I found this when I was looking into Rutgers' stipend info last year: https://uhr.rutgers.edu/policies-resources/salary-schedules/aaup-aft-faculty-salary-schedules/full-time-ta-and-ga-starting 

It's a bit outdated, but my offer was something close to $26,000 before taxes with annual increase across four years. I had the academic year appointment which was 9 months, I believe. When I asked the current students they said that they were earning something around $2,500 per month after taxes.

Edited by scarvesandcardigans