7 hours ago, HannahA23 said:

Same! I am trying to get more information on applying for funding during the second year. 

I've asked some of the previously admitted students. According to their understanding, we need to get a 3.4+ GPA(if in BG campus for the first year) or 3.7+ GPA (if in DC campus) to apply for scholarship. The amount ranges from $10,000 to $15,000.

On 3/11/2018 at 1:29 PM, mpa-applicant said:

I also applied for the MIPP, though in Bologna, and I've heard that was an unusual choice- to say the least! I'm hoping they really do release decisions tomorrow. I have to say, the MIPP program does not seem to be as supported by the admissions staff as the MA. Twice- or has it been three times now?- I've had to ask questions about dates that were posted incorrectly...I hope that is not an indication of how they treat the program once it is rolling...

I wrote to admissions and they did confirm that decisions for MIPP are coming out tomorrow! Let's hope it is nice and early in the day :) good luck to you!

31 minutes ago, LibbyCreek said:

I also applied for the MIPP, though in Bologna, and I've heard that was an unusual choice- to say the least! I'm hoping they really do release decisions tomorrow. I have to say, the MIPP program does not seem to be as supported by the admissions staff as the MA. Twice- or has it been three times now?- I've had to ask questions about dates that were posted incorrectly...I hope that is not an indication of how they treat the program once it is rolling...

I wrote to admissions and they did confirm that decisions for MIPP are coming out tomorrow! Let's hope it is nice and early in the day :) good luck to you!

good luck to you too

All the best

I'm in for the MA in China Studies but with zero funding. It's basically my top choice but I just don't think I can make that sort of financial sacrifice. Over $100,000 in tuition and fees, not even including rent, food, books etc. Anyone else in a similar situation? 

I got a lot more support at a few other schools. I'll most likely end up at UCSD-GPS. How much am I gonna be missing out? 

2 hours ago, weimala said:

I'm in for the MA in China Studies but with zero funding. It's basically my top choice but I just don't think I can make that sort of financial sacrifice. Over $100,000 in tuition and fees, not even including rent, food, books etc. Anyone else in a similar situation? 

I got a lot more support at a few other schools. I'll most likely end up at UCSD-GPS. How much am I gonna be missing out? 

Congratulations! And great question. Did you get any $$ support? I'm a mid-career applicant, and can't imagine taking on that kind of debt at any point- other than to get a mortgage, but perhaps you're in a different situation? $100k + would completely change the way I live for a very long time. What kind of $$ can you pull in with an advanced degree in China Studies? Do you have a mentor or prof you can talk to? Good luck, that is hard.

Hi all, nice to see this thread. I also got into SAIS IDEV with 10k in funding for the first year. I'm currently trying to decide between my other admits, specifically between DC and NYC as a whole.

I am an international student and wish to work either in private sector or IOs after graduation. From going through this forum I get the sense that the SAIS program is best for those wanting to get into US government, which as an international student bars me from multiple options. Whereas having lived in New York for a bit now I feel that job opportunities for international students in this field are more abundant. Would love to hear more opinions on this.

I also frequently see on this thread that SAIS is the best place to go for World Bank jobs. However, I find it hard to believe that you cannot secure a Bank job from NYC. What are your thoughts? 

9 hours ago, nycpolicy said:

Hi all, nice to see this thread. I also got into SAIS IDEV with 10k in funding for the first year. I'm currently trying to decide between my other admits, specifically between DC and NYC as a whole.

I am an international student and wish to work either in private sector or IOs after graduation. From going through this forum I get the sense that the SAIS program is best for those wanting to get into US government, which as an international student bars me from multiple options. Whereas having lived in New York for a bit now I feel that job opportunities for international students in this field are more abundant. Would love to hear more opinions on this.

I also frequently see on this thread that SAIS is the best place to go for World Bank jobs. However, I find it hard to believe that you cannot secure a Bank job from NYC. What are your thoughts? 

WB hiring is connections-based. You can get a job from anywhere as long as you know someone, which, if you don't already, you're much more likely to do if you live in DC. Time and quality of connections is important too (i.e. the difference between meeting someone at an event and keeping in sporadic tough through email vs interning with them at their office), and the opportunity to work at the WBG or the IMF while you are in school is something to consider. That said, whilst I don't know anything about SIPA, my hunch is, you'll be just as fine coming out of SIPA as out of SAIS. If you feel that going to SAIS will tie you to working at the Bank, don't do it. Finally, I wouldn't accept an offer with 10k funding in this field as an international student unless I could pay it out of pocket (and even then, meh).

Not sure where you got the idea that SAIS is best for people trying to get into the fed govt. 

I'm deciding between SAIS IDEV and other options, and work at the World Bank. I can tell you that SAIS is the best for getting into the World Bank, but there are plenty of others that enter from Georgetown,  Fletcher, and SIPA.

SIPA is definitely seen as more of a UN feeder, and at least some people at the Bank don't respect SIPA that much. There are, however, people in the World Bank from SIPA, they just aren't nearly as strong as SAIS (or Georgetown & Fletcher in my practice).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/16/2018 at 5:05 AM, mia999 said:

Hi everyone! I will be applying to JHU SAIS this year so hoping to start in 2019.

If its not too much trouble, could everyone please discuss their profile, especially the GPA and work ex?

Thanks!

Hi there - I am in the same boat.  However, I am applying for their MIPP program for Spring or Fall 2019.  Has anyone heard if they provide funding, scholarship, or fellowships for MIPPs?

About me: MPA form Syracuse University in 2010; About 14 years of work experience (5 years of politics / administration, 9 years of IR / defense / national security)

Edited by bness2002

On 6/26/2018 at 6:09 AM, ExponentialDecay said:

On 3/17/2018 at 3:14 PM, LibbyCreek said:

Full funding would certainly trump $10k! Congratulations!

I got into the MIPP, also with $10k. Hoping for more $$, not sure of my next steps yet.

LibbyCreek - Did you end up accepting the MIPP program for 2018?  Also, did you take the GMAT/GRE ?

• 8 months later...
On 3/15/2018 at 11:46 PM, mpa-applicant said:

good luck to you too

All the best

when are the results expected to be out ?

On 3/16/2018 at 9:16 AM, sjdoublev said:

Anyone waitlisted for the IDEV program?

Edited by dashpramit

1 hour ago, dashpramit said:

when are the results expected to be out ?

I visited SAIS last week and they said March 15th (as does their website). Apparently they did mean March 15th and not a day sooner...

Also, gave me a mild heart attack to see all the posts from a year ago talking about results having already been released for that cycle--thought for a second I had missed something big. Maybe let's move this to the 2019 SAIS thread?

In at SAIS but no mention of funding. Not sure if that comes in later or if this means no funding but either way I’m still probably heading to Sanford barring some miraculous amount of funding so good luck to everyone else.

Edited by Guesswho