SUNY Plattsburgh?

Can someone who attends SUNY Plattsburgh tell me why they chose Plattsburgh over the other schools, and someone who chose not to attend why they didn’t?

I would greatly appreciate It.

15 hours ago, evf said:

Can someone who attends SUNY Plattsburgh tell me why they chose Plattsburgh over the other schools, and someone who chose not to attend why they didn’t?

I would greatly appreciate It.

I've heard really good things about this school!  I was invited to interview but declined because 1. The distance- it was so far north and personally further than I wanted to be.  I know NY is cold during winter, but I hear it's even colder than average up there (pretty much Canada that far north lol).  2.  This may be personal preference but I wanted to earn a M.S. after graduate school versus a M.A.  I've read that in our field, it really doesn't matter but for me it was just personal preference.   If you don't care about either of those things then you should check it out!  I have heard from multiple people that it's a good program and since it's a state school it will be cheaper. 

1 hour ago, WesttoEast18 said:

I've heard really good things about this school!  I was invited to interview but declined because 1. The distance- it was so far north and personally further than I wanted to be.  I know NY is cold during winter, but I hear it's even colder than average up there (pretty much Canada that far north lol).  2.  This may be personal preference but I wanted to earn a M.S. after graduate school versus a M.A.  I've read that in our field, it really doesn't matter but for me it was just personal preference.   If you don't care about either of those things then you should check it out!  I have heard from multiple people that it's a good program and since it's a state school it will be cheaper. 

May I ask what specific good things that you've heard of this school?

7 minutes ago, azure said:

May I ask what specific good things that you've heard of this school?

I don't have specifics on this, but I've spoken to three separate people who have attended and all reported a positive experience, so to me, that equates to the program having a good reputation.  Also, I do know that they allow you to do your clinical placements near your home which could be beneficial to some students who are from a different area. However, I don't have any information on their clinical experiences so that could just be allowed during the last semester. 

@WesttoEast18 Thank you so much, this was extremely helpful. I know about the last semester externships, and it is something that I loved about it. I have heard wonderful things about their program and I want to attend (but I am also very far away) and tuition is way cheaper too. Thank you so much :)

50 minutes ago, evf said:

@WesttoEast18 Thank you so much, this was extremely helpful. I know about the last semester externships, and it is something that I loved about it. I have heard wonderful things about their program and I want to attend (but I am also very far away) and tuition is way cheaper too. Thank you so much :)

One good thing about attending a school in a rural area is I'm sure you'll become very close with your cohort! :) 

@WesttoEast18 yes absolutely :)

I love that it’s just 18 students in the program. 

I most likely will be attending even if it’s far. 

Where are you planning on going?

4 minutes ago, evf said:

@WesttoEast18 yes absolutely :)

I love that it’s just 18 students in the program. 

I most likely will be attending even if it’s far. 

Where are you planning on going?

That's awesome, congratulations!  It's such a relief when a decision is finally made (on both sides) and the anxiety is over!  I will be attending The College of Saint Rose :) 

1 hour ago, evf said:

That sounds great! Congratulations! But if you live far away, will you still receive in-state tuition rates?

@azure Thank you very much. No, because it is still New York State so tuition will be the same, I will just have to live in Plattsburgh.

• 2 years later...

This is old but I figured I’d answer as someone who chose Plattsburgh out of other NY colleges. I chose Plattsburgh because the previous cohorts and professors are very tight nit and having that support system is extremely important to me. I chose them because my last semester will be an externship that I can complete pretty much anywhere. Everything is nice and close together and it’s a smaller SUNY so I get SUNY pricing but not many distractions. The location isn’t really ideal tbh though. It’s about 6hrs away from me and I live in NY. Though it is cool it’s so close to Canada and I’m hoping I can visit often. The cold weather isn’t really a problem for me I prefer it. I also chose it because they are trying their hardest for diversity and to teach diversity in a SLP lens. Coming from someone who’s worked with an SLP who asked,  “i don’t know why they have to be bilingual and know Spanish” , I think it’s important to teach and truly believe in diversity in SLP. I wish they had a bilingual aspect because yeah I’m struggling with my Spanish but it would’ve been cool if they had it. It’s not all that important to me right now because I have a ways to go. So yeah I chose Plattsburgh because I needed a smaller school with people who’d care about ME as a person and help me reach my goals. I start in the fall and I’m so excited!!