NSERC PGSD 2018-2019

Roentgenium

Hey @scvp3, awards need to be accepted by the end of the month, after which I believe NSERC will rescind the award. After that, I assume they will start contacting people on the shortlist.

I'm sorry I don't have more information, best of luck!

On 4/9/2018 at 10:02 AM, prospectivegrad1 said:

Has anyone gotten a response email from NSERC after emailing them to accept the award? @Jibster @jakeopolis

i actually still haven't heard back from anyone at NSERC after sending my acceptance email... what the hell? is there anywhere to check this online?

Hey by the way, does anyone know what the deal is with CGSD? Are they just offering PGSD now and then potentially upgrade people later? Or, if we have already received PGSD, that means we were not ranked high enough for CGS? 

On 4/13/2018 at 11:27 AM, jakeopolis said:

Hey by the way, does anyone know what the deal is with CGSD? Are they just offering PGSD now and then potentially upgrade people later? Or, if we have already received PGSD, that means we were not ranked high enough for CGS? 

Everyone should get their ranking in the mail around now. I got mine today. Not sure how many CGS-Ds or PGS-Ds they allocate but that should tell you how many people ranked above you in your category.

On 4/13/2018 at 8:27 AM, jakeopolis said:

It means you weren't ranked high enough to be in the first round of CGS-D offers. If you are ranked high enough, you may be upgraded to a CGS-D if one is declined. A fair number of them do get declined, as you can see if you look at previous years' threads. (A common reason they are declined is that they cannot be held at foreign institutions - so people in that situation downgrade to a PGS-D instead.)

14 hours ago, MathCat said:

It means you weren't ranked high enough to be in the first round of CGS-D offers. If you are ranked high enough, you may be upgraded to a CGS-D if one is declined. A fair number of them do get declined, as you can see if you look at previous years' threads. (A common reason they are declined is that they cannot be held at foreign institutions - so people in that situation downgrade to a PGS-D instead.)

Cool, that makes sense. I was ranked pretty high on my committee, but I have no idea how that ranks overall... I guess we just wait and hope. It's a long shot but man, getting upgraded to a CGS-D would change my life.

10 hours ago, jakeopolis said:

Cool, that makes sense. I was ranked pretty high on my committee, but I have no idea how that ranks overall... I guess we just wait and hope. It's a long shot but man, getting upgraded to a CGS-D would change my life.

I have reviewed the competition statistics for the last few years.

http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/_doc/Students-Etudiants/2017StatsScholarships_e.pdf

(change the year from 2017 to other years)

On page 3 and 4 of this document you will find the success rate of each committee (usually the same across committee, minor differences).

The overall success rate for CGS/PGS combined is about top 42~47% for the last 4 years. Success rate for CGS is about top 20%.

I am ranked in the middle of the PGSD pool (halfway between 20 and 45%) so I really need everyone who got CGS in my committee to decline so I can move up to the CGS  :P Any CGS winner at foreign institutes wanna trade?

14 hours ago, thewaterdude said:

I have reviewed the competition statistics for the last few years.

http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/_doc/Students-Etudiants/2017StatsScholarships_e.pdf

(change the year from 2017 to other years)

On page 3 and 4 of this document you will find the success rate of each committee (usually the same across committee, minor differences).

The overall success rate for CGS/PGS combined is about top 42~47% for the last 4 years. Success rate for CGS is about top 20%.

I am ranked in the middle of the PGSD pool (halfway between 20 and 45%) so I really need everyone who got CGS in my committee to decline so I can move up to the CGS  :P Any CGS winner at foreign institutes wanna trade?

That's super helpful, thanks! Looks like out of 129 applications to my committee, the top 28 got the CGS. I ranked 33 out of 129 so I just need a handful of people to decline! SO CLOSE!!! The deadline to accept or decline is April 25, so I'm assuming it will be after that date that they upgrade those lucky few. Fingers and toes heavily crossed!

Edited by jakeopolis

Hey everyone just a quick question. First of all congrats to all the winners! Second, because this is a large scholarship competition, do we acknowledge it on our CVs in a certain way? For example, I know the Americans who win the NSF GRFP (the US equivalent) call themselves NSF Fellows and will actually write on their CVs: "NSF Fellow: 2010-2013" etc, etc. Are we NSERC Canada Graduate Scholars? Or NSERC Postgraduate Scholars? Or do we just add a line to an awards/scholarships section? I want to maximize my CV. Thanks! 

16 hours ago, Jibster said:

Hey everyone just a quick question. First of all congrats to all the winners! Second, because this is a large scholarship competition, do we acknowledge it on our CVs in a certain way? For example, I know the Americans who win the NSF GRFP (the US equivalent) call themselves NSF Fellows and will actually write on their CVs: "NSF Fellow: 2010-2013" etc, etc. Are we NSERC Canada Graduate Scholars? Or NSERC Postgraduate Scholars? Or do we just add a line to an awards/scholarships section? I want to maximize my CV. Thanks! 

I suppose you can call yourself NSERC Postgraduate Scholar on your CV. I don't think it's an official thing though. The only scholars I heard of are Vanier and Killam

So I accepted my PGSDD 3 (foreign) offer on April 11 and since they didn't reply back I emailed them again on the 17th. I still haven't heard back; should I email them again? [Just in case, what does "confirming the start date" entail?]. I Just wrote down "Yes, the start date of May 2018 is correct.".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

I was in the short list of alternates (Computer Science)  and received a letter from NSERC that I got the scholarship :)

It was a moment of sheer happiness .as the wait was long and painful!. :)

Edited by simulatedReality

Congrats @simulatedReality! What a good feeling!

I was also on the short list for 187 (cellular and molecular biology) and received notice of a PGS-D offer by email on June 5th. 

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know when the results will be posted to the NSERC website? I see the 2017-2018 results, however I believe the results for last year's competition would have been the 2018-2019 competition, which I don't see in their awards database or here: http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/NSERC-CRSNG/FundingDecisions-DecisionsFinancement/ScholarshipsAndFellowships-ConcoursDeBourses/index_eng.asp

Looking back at my letter from them, they recommend looking at these results so it's weird that they haven't uploaded the results so close to this year's deadline.

• 2 weeks later...