NSERC PGSD 2018-2019

Roentgenium

16 minutes ago, spin_ice said:

That's a good point, I think there is an extra month for CGS-M at our school. They may have meant the CGS-M.

Edit: Wait the timeline for CGS-M says that applicants are notified April 1st as well.

The email that said my application was forwarded to Ottawa says " The results of the national competition are expected in April 2018 and will be communicated to you directly by NSERC." But last year's email said that too, and we received the results earlier (March 23rd) :(. Maybe last year was just a special year, aww.

20 minutes ago, pinkvelvet said:

The email that said my application was forwarded to Ottawa says " The results of the national competition are expected in April 2018 and will be communicated to you directly by NSERC." But last year's email said that too, and we received the results earlier (March 23rd) :(. Maybe last year was just a special year, aww.

The email I received to notify that my application was forwarded was along the same lines (apparently they will mail us in March by the email on the application lol). I think all the schools just copy whatever information NSERC says officially, which is the "end of March" or 23 weeks after October 15th as StackUnderFlow pointed out. The official NSERC website for the Alexander Graham Bell scholarship says that we can also find out results from our Department of Graduate Studies (or equivalent). Has anyone else tried to contact someone from their university to find out when we will get notified of the results?

I don't know what it was like in previous years but this seems to be later than last years results based on forums lol. My hope is that the federal budget announced changes that let them accept more applicants so more of us will get a positive response when they do decide to let us know? :P

1 hour ago, spin_ice said:

The email I received to notify that my application was forwarded was along the same lines (apparently they will mail us in March by the email on the application lol). I think all the schools just copy whatever information NSERC says officially, which is the "end of March" or 23 weeks after October 15th as StackUnderFlow pointed out. The official NSERC website for the Alexander Graham Bell scholarship says that we can also find out results from our Department of Graduate Studies (or equivalent). Has anyone else tried to contact someone from their university to find out when we will get notified of the results?

I don't know what it was like in previous years but this seems to be later than last years results based on forums lol. My hope is that the federal budget announced changes that let them accept more applicants so more of us will get a positive response when they do decide to let us know? :P

I contacted my graduate department (UAlberta) and they told me that applicants are notified by NSERC via email before the universities are. 

I think although their website says 23 weeks from October 15th, their hard deadline is March 31st. Also interesting to see they updated their "Notification of Decision" blurb - not sure why they changed "March 31st" to "end of March" though, I think that just adds unnecessary uncertainty.

2016's blurb: NSERC notifies applicants whose applications were submitted to NSERC of the results by mail by March 31. NSERC will not provide results by telephone or email.

2017's blurb: NSERC notifies applicants whose applications were submitted to NSERC of the results by the end of March. NSERC will not provide results by telephone.

17 hours ago, Jibster said:

I contacted my graduate department (UAlberta) and they told me that applicants are notified by NSERC via email before the universities are. 

Thanks for the update. I think the person I asked thought I meant the Ontario Graduate Scholarship even though I asked about NSERC, since no one else can confirm what they said. Hopefully we'll get contacted in the next week.

13 minutes ago, turburka said:

Another no...

Anybody knows what the pgs D# numbers mean?

Mine says D3, but I am in my first year as a PhD student (in the US).

Years of award, so when you apply next year it'll be PGSD2

Alas another no... also in the US

13 hours ago, prospectivegrad1 said:

Also got PGSD3! Has anyone officially accepted the award yet by emailing NSERC? If yes, should we expect a response email from them? I emailed them on Tuesday but no response yet!

Congratulations! I accepted, and got the "we're super busy" automatic reply. It's a long weekend so I wouldn't expect anything until next week.

17 hours ago, calbound said:

I still haven't heard anything.

Anybody else in the same boat?

"The results of the 2018‐19 NSERC Doctoral Scholarships (PGSD and CGSD) have been released to universities. NSERC is notifying candidates of their results via email. If you do not receive your result from NSERC by the end of next week, please contact NSERC to confirm your current contact information."

This is from the email sent by the Graduate Awards office at UofT last Thursday. I guess you should contact NSERC directly. Good luck!

Hi everyone! I've just been looking for more information on waitlists without much luck- I applied for a PGS-D and my initial letter was a rejection, but I received an amendment today saying I am on a short list of applicants.  I guess it really depends on how many people decline the award, but anyone have any ideas what the chances are of actually receiving funding at this point, and when I might find out by?