Classics Admissions 2008

agathon400

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got an email from Fordham about an accepted students weekend, but perhaps it's different because I applied for PhD instead of MA... No formal acceptance, but I'm meeting with a professor on Friday so hopefully he can give me the scoop.

Still no word from Columbia, or Brown for that matter. I want to call Columbia but am far too afraid.

To the people who have been accepted to Oxford (I think there are some here): Have you received any information about colleges or funding yet?

College decisions should come around the end of this month, I believe - it may depend on how far up the pile your application is, and how many colleges they circulate the application to before one accepts you. Funding decisions for the major overseas grants are being done by the end of the month - they will update the website when the funding decisions are made, and if you haven't heard by then it means you didn't get the grant. One good thing about Oxford is that they put all this information on their website so we know what to expect..!

And they're looking more and more likely for me - 3 rejections last week, not feeling good about my remaining 4.

I think the good luck tokens are a good idea. My adviser said that she is going to make some libations... I consider agonizing about applications to be the equivalent of another class at this point.

Did anyone else apply to Fordham/know what's going on with them?

I also haven't heard of anything coming from Columbia save the earlier post.

I got a formal acceptance letter from fordham today. According to admissions they waited and did a mass mailing last week.

Hi all,

I saw someone say in the results forum that they got a packet from the rutgers graduate admissions office... did it say anything about funding one way or the other? any word would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all,

I saw someone say in the results forum that they got a packet from the rutgers graduate admissions office... did it say anything about funding one way or the other? any word would be greatly appreciated.

That was me - nope, not a word. What's really strange is I've heard nothing from the department, this letter from grad admissions is my first notification of anything from Rutgers. I don't know if I was supposed to hear from the department and the letter/email got lost or not, but this is pretty odd.

That was me - nope, not a word. What's really strange is I've heard nothing from the department, this letter from grad admissions is my first notification of anything from Rutgers. I don't know if I was supposed to hear from the department and the letter/email got lost or not, but this is pretty odd.

Hi- I was the one who posted a while back about being accepted and recommended for funding. The grad director sent me an email late last week saying I'd definitely been approved for the fellowship. It took a while because the department has been very busy (hiring 3 new professors!) and he only got the paperwork done about a week after he sent me the first email. I got my grad admissions letter today, and it says nothing about funding either. Funding is done separately, and we will get letters about it as we get approved.

It is a little weird that you didn't get an email in the first place, but just email the grad director and ask about visiting or something. He will probably tell you about your funding status as well. I just got off the phone with him actually and he's very very nice and enthusiastic about the department.

Are any of the Johns Hopkins applicants here? I saw one acceptance and one rejection on the results page, quite far apart in date. Does anyone have any insight as to what the committee is up to, particularly in the Interdepartmental program in Classical A&A?

so, i got in... then told them i wasn't going more than a week ago. i think they are working down from a short list and waiting for answers.

so, i got in... then told them i wasn't going more than a week ago. i think they are working down from a short list and waiting for answers.

Heh, great name!

thanks for the info, very much. I suppose no news really is good news, then... though not nearly as good news as a "hey, want to come here?" I'll just keep checking the mail each day with an open mind, then!

It sounds like you have a great offer, if you've turned down JHU. Congratulations!

Hi- I was the one who posted a while back about being accepted and recommended for funding. The grad director sent me an email late last week saying I'd definitely been approved for the fellowship. It took a while because the department has been very busy (hiring 3 new professors!) and he only got the paperwork done about a week after he sent me the first email. I got my grad admissions letter today, and it says nothing about funding either. Funding is done separately, and we will get letters about it as we get approved.

It is a little weird that you didn't get an email in the first place, but just email the grad director and ask about visiting or something. He will probably tell you about your funding status as well. I just got off the phone with him actually and he's very very nice and enthusiastic about the department.

soooo..... any idea if you are going to accept?

soooo..... any idea if you are going to accept?

Considering I applied to five schools, was rejected by 3, accepted by one "no funding at this time but maybe in 6-8 weeks...", and accepted to Rutgers with good funding... Yeah probably. Barring any horrible experiences when I visit next week, I will almost certainly be accepting.

From the Oxford site on international funding:

"25 March 2008: the Humanities, Mathematical, Physical and Life Sciences and Medical Sciences Divisions have now all offered the majority of their Clarendon awards.

It is expected that the majority of awards in the Social Sciences Division will be made during the first week of April 2008.

Each Division has a reserve list, so it may be possible to offer Clarendon awards to some candidates on the reserve list from late April onwards if those who have already been offered awards drop out or receive partial funding from other sources. Please note that we cannot give out information about who is on these reserve lists.

If you have not been contacted by mid-April, it is very likely that your application to this scholarship has been unsuccessful. As the number of reserve candidates is very small and the drop out rate for this award is very low, you should not count on receiving a Clarendon award through the reserve pool.

Due to the volume of applications received, we cannot contact unsuccessful applicants individually."

Guess that means I won't be going to Oxford!

Guess that means I won't be going to Oxford!

Sorry to hear that, palimpsest!

I'm in social sciences, so I'm still waiting until the first week in April - but I had a minor coronary when I saw the update. But there's another week and a half for me to wait and wonder.

(I hope this doesn't rub salt in the wound, but have you gotten your college acceptance yet? I'm still waiting on that, a little bit impatiently by now.)

Actually, I just got an email from the Oxford grad admissions dept in response to an email I sent last week asking about a timeline for college acceptances. Here's what they had to say:

"The deadline for first choice colleges to have made decisions is April 25th; if your first choice college is unable to offer you a place, you should expect that a college place will have been found for you by May 23rd. Unfortunately, if no colleges are able to offer you a place before this date you may not hear anything until this time."

It never ceases to amaze me how late the UK education system does everything, compared to the US system. Otherwise, I have heard from several people who have done postgrad degrees at Oxford that college places are easier to come by as a PG than as a UG, because they aren't dealing with as many factors for us as they are for UGs. Most of those I know heard about their college acceptance by the end of March, but perhaps that was early, compared with what your email said.

Thanks for the information!

If anyone knows of anyone who was accepted to the NYU PhD Classics and does not plan on attending PLEASE have them let the department know... I'm now second on the waitlist and would absolutely DIE to go...

Negative on Columbia, however I received a wonderful email from the DGS before the mass rejection. She encouraged me to reapply for a Masters if I didn't find a PhD program I liked.

Well, we've all gone really quiet.

Anyone have any news, on anything? Still waiting on a couple of schools? Has anyone made a final decision, or narrowed it down?

I'm still waiting on Toronto - I'm on their waitlist, although I don't know where I am on the list. Their deadline is April 11th, so I should know something by then. If I don't get in there, I'll be going to UCSB for sure.

I received a pretty uninformative letter from Oxford faculty of Classics the other day. Basically it said that there are a number of college and faculty scholarships that they will be awarding graduate students. It didn't say that I got any of them, but just that there is the possibility that I might get one. Unfortunately, they don't notify about those until May, so I'll have already committed elsewhere by then. Did anyone else get this letter?