Classics Admissions 2008

agathon400

do you think it is in any way appropriate to ask your own recommenders about the status of your application in their department (ie, I have heard that offers have gone out, does this mean I'm not going to be admitted, but said in a more periphrastic way of course)?

In my (somewhat limited) experience, it is best to let them approach you. But if you are really sure that you want the answer, I don't think it would be rude to ask one of the profs who wrote letters for you and who also happens to be on the adcom.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got in at one of my safety schools (CU Boulder)! I still have a bunch to hear back from, but it's nice to know that I've got somewhere to go next fall even if everyone else rejects me. ;)

Congratulations, meri! It's definitely nice to have an acceptance.

My letter said they had nominated me for a University fellowship and that they should know whether it was approved by early March. When I emailed to find out about funding for a campus visit, the grad adviser said that they should find out about the fellowships by the end of next week and if I get the fellowship the university will pay for the trip. After they find out about the fellowships, the department will meet to discuss their funding budget and put together packages for applicants then.

In other news, a professor told me today that she'd heard that Brown has already sent invitations to prospective students. :-(

Thanks for your reply, palimpsest. That really clarifies things for me.

I wonder why UCSB would accept more students than they could fund. I mean, most departments just don't, and it's even more surprising that a school with $24,000/yr out of state tuition and such a high cost of living would even extend an offer for admission without funding information. :roll: I wonder if there's a bias with MA vs. PhD funding. I would assume they would invest in their PhD students, but who knows. How can anyone even pay their own way? You can't borrow that much money. Heiress Classics majors, maybe? :|

Does Brown usually send invitations through email or mail? I would assume email, but I am hanging on the thread of a chance that I might still have a chance (mail).

The invitation that I got was email (on 2/4), but since it was so early I wouldn't be surprised if they did a second round in a few weeks if people decline offers. Also, they do a waitlist, and I am like 99% sure that I heard that at least one person on the waitlist last year got in.

i applied to brown as well, i'm hoping that the lack of contact isn't a bad sign... i wish i could call them!!

does anyone know anything about nyu's program i.e. how many people they usually take? i was waitlisted and would very much like to know my shot at admission.

does anyone know anything about nyu's program i.e. how many people they usually take? i was waitlisted and would very much like to know my shot at admission.

They currently have (I think) five first-years in residence, which is definitely optimistic in comparison to other programs, but there are only three each of second and third years, so unless some people dropped out, then perhaps this means that more people accepted the offer last year than they thought would, maybe meaning fewer offers this year? Who knows?

They currently have (I think) five first-years in residence, which is definitely optimistic in comparison to other programs, but there are only three each of second and third years, so unless some people dropped out, then perhaps this means that more people accepted the offer last year than they thought would, maybe meaning fewer offers this year? Who knows?

They put me 5th on the waitlist... based on that information it's not looking too hot.

Does anyone know about Princeton?

They put me 5th on the waitlist... based on that information it's not looking too hot.

Does anyone know about Princeton?

Princeton's decided already. Maybe they are holding on to some applications in case someone defers, but for the most part, decision have been made. My friend who was accepted and visited gave me this info.

Princeton's decided already. Maybe they are holding on to some applications in case someone defers, but for the most part, decision have been made. My friend who was accepted and visited gave me this info.

Did your friend say how he/she was notified?

Question:

At what point is it ok to contact schools to ask about your admission status? I know that it is still technically early in the game, but from what I've heard around here, several of the schools I've applied to have already made their decisions (Chicago, Princeton, Michigan, Brown), and I have not heard a peep from any of them. I know that there is the possibility of being waitlisted, but shouldn't they let you know that (or is it ok to ask them if that's the case)? Or do they just wait until the last minute to send out all of their rejections at once? I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but I'm trying to be realistic.

What do you guys think?

Has anyone heard about Harvard or Chicago? I suppose by now they've probably notified their top candidates.

From what I can gather, Harvard hasn't notified yet. Last year their first-round notifications seemed to go out around the 26th, so we may all have time yet.

Palimpsest, I'd still wait on asking anything of any of my schools (in fact, this is what I'm doing - I haven't heard from any of my US applications). It is technically still early, and it may now be only a matter of a few days before we hear something. I wouldn't consider calling until the second week of March at the earliest, and then maybe only to the schools I'm really anxious about.

I know that there is the possibility of being waitlisted, but shouldn't they let you know that (or is it ok to ask them if that's the case)? Or do they just wait until the last minute to send out all of their rejections at once? I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but I'm trying to be realistic.

If the first round offers have already been extended, wouldn't those on the waitlist have already been notified though? I was just looking at the livejournal who_got_in for last year, and someone said that those on the waitlist at Brown were flown out for the interview as well as those on the shortlist. Makes me think that maybe if we were on the waitlists for Princeton or Chicago that we would know already, but who knows?

If the first round offers have already been extended, wouldn't those on the waitlist have already been notified though? I was just looking at the livejournal who_got_in for last year, and someone said that those on the waitlist at Brown were flown out for the interview as well as those on the shortlist. Makes me think that maybe if we were on the waitlists for Princeton or Chicago that we would know already, but who knows?

Not to be a downer, but Chicago doesn't have a wait lists even if acceptees reject offers. They implemented this system this year. So for this school at least, no contact, I think, means thumbs down...

Does anyone know how important pre-application visits and meetings are? I really went all out to develop a relationship with the DGS and several professors there, and my three recommenders went to Graduate School with the DGS. My application is solid, but I don't know if this will hold any sway. Any opinions??