Classics Admissions 2008

agathon400

I heard fifth on the waitlist from NYU, but don't quite know exactly what that means... Does anyone else know how wait-lists are qualified? In undergrad, I remember, a waitlist was sort of a nicer way of rejecting you. Here, however, especially given that the woman put my exact place, I'm hoping it means a little better...

I'm also waiting from Columbia, Princeton, Fordham, Brown, Bryn Mawr, Boston U. Good to know Princeton is a no go.

My interests are Greek Tragedy and Poetry of the Augustan Age.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel the same way. It's so odd that so many of us are waiting on so much news...! I know committees at some of my schools have been meeting for weeks now - so why not even a first wave of notifications?

Did anyone here apply to Yale?

Nope, I didn't apply to Yale. But it's stressful to see my friends getting in, and I've only heard from one school! You know you're anxious when you start having dreams about getting acceptance emails...and waking up to nothing new in your inbox!

Nope, I didn't apply to Yale. But it's stressful to see my friends getting in, and I've only heard from one school! You know you're anxious when you start having dreams about getting acceptance emails...and waking up to nothing new in your inbox!

It's funny you should say that because it seems like every night I either get accepted or rejected from somewhere! Last night I dreamed I got a letter rejecting me from Brown; a few nights ago I got accepted to UNC Chapel Hill and a couple nights before that I got into Penn. A while back I dreamed I got accepted by Berkeley, but in real life I was rejected. Hope that isn't the trend with the rest of them!

it seems that ucla has notifed. that's another one checked off my list. not too surprising i wasn't accepted. i only applied because my prof said i needed 5 schools.

but now that only leaves minnesota to hear from.

wow, it's about over for me. hope ucsb makes funding decisions soon. from the letter i got, it appears they'll be doing that in early march. a bit nervous since i've heard iffy things about ucsb funding in the past.

hopeful. :P

I applied to Yale. Haven't heard anything.

There are rumors that Stanford and Columbia have sent out a first wave - but I heard this second hand.

It is likely that these boards have an inherent selection bias. After all, if you were admitted to a bunch of places you would be out visiting schools, not posting on a silly internet forum. So it's not surprising that the people who are posting here might be more likely to have to wait until mid-March or whenever official rejections are sent out by the grad school admissions offices.

I applied to Yale. Haven't heard anything.

There are rumors that Stanford and Columbia have sent out a first wave - but I heard this second hand.

It is likely that these boards have an inherent selection bias. After all, if you were admitted to a bunch of places you would be out visiting schools, not posting on a silly internet forum. So it's not surprising that the people who are posting here might be more likely to have to wait until mid-March or whenever official rejections are sent out by the grad school admissions offices.

Stanford has notified - I know someone who was admitted. No idea where that leaves them in their process, though.

Agathon, seriously - that is a ridiculous statement. Are you implying that people who are accepted no longer go online? Go check the acceptances thread - it's one of the busiest on this board. Just because you are accepted does not mean you are immediately whisked away for months worth of wining and dining - it's just a letter in the mail, and one weekend out of your life (if the school even does interviews/weekends, which plenty do not). You're very defeatist, and you also are REALLY not paying attention to how this process works.

Stanford has notified - I know someone who was admitted. No idea where that leaves them in their process, though.

Agathon, seriously - that is a ridiculous statement. Are you implying that people who are accepted no longer go online? Go check the acceptances thread - it's one of the busiest on this board. Just because you are accepted does not mean you are immediately whisked away for months worth of wining and dining - it's just a letter in the mail, and one weekend out of your life (if the school even does interviews/weekends, which plenty do not). You're very defeatist, and you also are REALLY not paying attention to how this process works.

Yeah, I've stopped taking Agathon's comments seriously for a while. Silly person. Like I said, I hope I don't end up where he does!

questions for the people who have been accepted to ucsb:

1) has anyone received information directly from the department (other than website notification)?

2) has anyone been offered funding for the program?

i was under the impression that funding decisions would be made in march, but someone posted on yuster that they were accepted at the end of january with a funding offer. i'm wondering if it's possible that that was a mistype, or if that is university vs. departmental funding.

1) has anyone received information directly from the department (other than website notification)?

i was under the impression that funding decisions would be made in march, but someone posted on yuster that they were accepted at the end of january with a funding offer. i'm wondering if it's possible that that was a mistype, or if that is university vs. departmental funding.

I got a letter in the mail and I e-mailed the grad advisor. She said the faculty would meet in March to make funding decisions.

I wouldn't be surprised if they offered some people funding already, though.

My letter said they had nominated me for a University fellowship and that they should know whether it was approved by early March. When I emailed to find out about funding for a campus visit, the grad adviser said that they should find out about the fellowships by the end of next week and if I get the fellowship the university will pay for the trip. After they find out about the fellowships, the department will meet to discuss their funding budget and put together packages for applicants then.

In other news, a professor told me today that she'd heard that Brown has already sent invitations to prospective students. :-(

I don't exactly see what it is about the process I'm not understanding. Schools to which I have applied have made offers, I have received none; I have no reason to believe future adcoms won't respond to the weaknesses in my application in the same way.

Here's a question: do you think it is in any way appropriate to ask your own recommenders about the status of your application in their department (ie, I have heard that offers have gone out, does this mean I'm not going to be admitted, but said in a more periphrastic way of course)?

Here's a question: do you think it is in any way appropriate to ask your own recommenders about the status of your application in their department (ie, I have heard that offers have gone out, does this mean I'm not going to be admitted, but said in a more periphrastic way of course)?

I've kinda been doing that. I applied to a dept I'm already in (though obv not in Classics) and I've been trying to get unofficial info on the status of my application for the past couple of weeks, esp since I know the first round of offers have gone out. I'll be incredibly depressed if they don't admit me since I've done well in their program.