Classics Admissions 2008

agathon400

I don't know... I am considering going to visit of my own accord because I'm not too familiar with the department there. Do you know anything about it? I just kind of blindly applied.

Same here, I don't know the faculty there, and I randomly chose two profs to talk about on my statement...surprised I actually got in. I think I'll call the DGS on Monday and maybe she'll mention a paid trip? If not, then I probably won't visit...

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's exactly what I did! I said "oh, Professor so and so likes Greek Tragedy and so do I, so that could be fun", literally. I think a friend of mine is going to visit Harvard Law so I might hitch a ride with her and go to BU. If I do, I will report back the situation. Do you know what it's reputation is like?

I can't tell what's going on with Columbia either. I want to be in Manhattan, so I applied because they are the only ivy on the island, but it's hard to tell what's happening there. When I visited NYU the grad students there said that Columbia was very strange and "misleading", whatever that means... Nonetheless, I'd still very much like to get in!

That's exactly what I did! I said "oh, Professor so and so likes Greek Tragedy and so do I, so that could be fun", literally. I think a friend of mine is going to visit Harvard Law so I might hitch a ride with her and go to BU. If I do, I will report back the situation. Do you know what it's reputation is like?

Not sure what the reputation for philology is like. I know their archaeology program is good. Yeah, let me know! I just received an email from Columbia too....this weekend is crazy....

I am friends with one of Brown's current graduate students, who told me that all prospective students (including waitlisted) have been invited and are being flown out in a few weeks. I guess I did not get in. :cry: She said that Brown does not invite everybody from their shortlist even anymore, let alone their waitlist.

Also, one of my friends was accepted at Chicago and Michigan (and Penn and UNC, and Washington) so I know that those schools at least have notified.

So, now I find my opinion is changing. Before today, I really wanted to hear from my schools and I was getting more and more antsy as each day went by that I did not. Today, that changed - as I check the results page here, I find that I relax if I *don't* see "Classics" appearing in the subject column. Another day without news feels better than a day that I am sure will turn out a rejection.

Argh, this process...!!!!

So, now I find my opinion is changing. Before today, I really wanted to hear from my schools and I was getting more and more antsy as each day went by that I did not. Today, that changed - as I check the results page here, I find that I relax if I *don't* see "Classics" appearing in the subject column. Another day without news feels better than a day that I am sure will turn out a rejection.

Argh, this process...!!!!

Yes, I know exactly how that feels. Its better to have delayed notifications...but that could mean bad things, too! double edged sword, eh?

Yes, I know exactly how that feels. Its better to have delayed notifications...but that could mean bad things, too! double edged sword, eh?

Veeeeeery much so. On the other hand, some of this is me just working myself up - some of my schools don't seem to notify until the first week of March, anyhow. So it's still early for those. I just wish I was able to distract myself!

I assume UCSB will announce funding decisions in the next week and a half or so. Would those who have been accepted to UCSB mind posting when they've received information?

I received notification from the graduate advisor that I was approved for a one year university fellowship. The catch: it only covers in-state tuition, which leaves a balance of about $15k for an out of state student. It is possible that the department will offer additional funding to cover that (I hope!). They are meeting on Friday to go over their departmental budget and will put together funding packages then. So I would expect to hear early next week.

In other news, the rejections have been rolling in for me. Neither Chapel Hill nor Penn want me :-(

Thanks for the info. I"m getting a bit depressed about my UCSB funding prospects. I want to be there quite badly.

I wonder how difficult it is to get California residency.

I don't think you should be worried. They have not yet met to go over departmental funding. I doubt they'd accept you and not offer any support at all. Sit tight...you will probably hear something very soon. As for residency, I think they told me that after the first year, you are considered "in-state."

So, someone just posted on the results board that they were rejected via email from Princeton for "Ancient History." Does Princeton have a separate ancient history program, or do you think the person was referring to the Program in the Ancient World?

Princeton has a Program in the Ancient World but I dunno if it's separate.

In other news, my friend has been accepted to the following in Classics: Columbia, UPenn, Stanford, and U Chicago. He is an all-star though, not in his words but in mine. And I don't think he's posted any of his acceptances around here but I'll give a basic summary of his credentials: Salutatorian at an Ivy League for undergrad, full-ride to do a second BA in Classics at Oxford, took overloads all the time in grad school and numerous graduate courses at Ivy during undergrad. And no, it's not one of the schools he applied to for his PhD.

I'm sorry to hear that, Nike. This week I finally got rejected from Michigan, but I knew it was coming, so it wasn't too much of a blow to my self esteem. Going by this and other grad sites, it seems like a lot of programs sent out a round of rejections this or last week (Princeton, Bryn Mawr, Texas, UNC, etc.), so maybe not hearing is a good thing?

I did get some distressing news this morning, however. My application must have been much worse than I thought! I have just heard that I won't be offered any funding from CU. Major bummer. I'm glad to be in and all, but now I'm not even sure if I can realistically go! Not sure what I'm going to do about that.

It's funny, I went into this so hopeful...now I feel like I must have been kidding myself. But I'm trying to stay optimistic - after all, I did get accepted into a program, so there must have been something worthwhile/done right in my application. ;)

Generally, though, this whole thing has just been ridiculously stressful. And I still haven't heard from two schools! At this point I doubt I'll get in to either one of them, but it's still so difficult to just wait like this!

This week is a really bad week. I still haven't heard from Bryn Mawr and I heard that rejections were coming. I'm assuming it's a post thing because I'm on the west coast so my rejection has a while to travel.

I'm so sorry to hear about the funding sitch at CU. Being accepted without funding is just a big kick in the face, I know your pain.

Still waiting on four schools... this is hell. Has anyone heard anything from Fordham?