UPenn IEDP/ Vanderbilt IEPM/ UCL MA

jasper8625

hi, 

i got accepted to UPenn IEDP, Vanderbilt IEPM, and i'm waiting for UCL (education and development). all three are masters.

can anyone who got accepted or is a current student give some opinions about the degrees?

upenn takes 1.5, vandy 2, and ucl 2 years

upenn is in phily, so i think better networks? vandy is 2 years and i like this because i'm going quite directly from undergraduate but i think the network and job market might be smaller. 

and several ppl recommended ucl about development.

i'm weighing the pros and cons about these schools right now and any advice would help!

thank you in advance

Edited by jasper8625
grammar

On 2018년 3월 15일 at 3:23 AM, t_ruth said:

What are your career goals and plans post-masters?

participating in education related programs. not sure if the development part is essential for me. right now education is more important.

so the question is, if there is a possibility on focusing on education more than development, which school would be better?

a current student said that int'l education and int'l development are different..

My question was mainly to ask whether you were going to be trying for a PhD and academia. If so, a 2-year program that allows you more research experience is better.

If you want to go for a job right after the Masters, then I would specifically ask each about placement rates and examples.

On 2018년 3월 20일 at 12:38 AM, t_ruth said:

My question was mainly to ask whether you were going to be trying for a PhD and academia. If so, a 2-year program that allows you more research experience is better.

If you want to go for a job right after the Masters, then I would specifically ask each about placement rates and examples.

thanks!

i'm not actually sure about phd

and if i do, i'll probably get some work experience first

• 1 month later...

Vanderbilt is effectively "2.5 years" - you don't get the summer off between year 1 and year 2 as a practicum is required. Some people wonder about Vanderbilt's networking because Nashville isn't exactly an international education policy hotspot. Peabody's network is strong, because Peabody alumni are everywhere where the action is. Plus, Vanderbilt's IEPM program has a fair amount of crossover with the MPP program, and there are opportunities with the Tennessee Dept of Education. While this may not seem to make much sense for an international education policy student, knowing in depth how our system works is a valuable asset when working with education systems in other countries.