msw admission

amelsanti

Hello guys. i need some advice. I am from a small town in Cuba. I came to USA a year ago and i am thinking applying to a msw program. My gpa is not good, 2.68, i know is bad, but i have a rough live. I took the gre my verbal was accpetable 154 and my quantitative was 150, i dont know if this is enough to apply to a good program. i have good recommendation letters, work experience working with communities with needs in Cuba and i made conferences in the USA talking about Cuban social problems. I am really into a social work path, i want to help other people like me. So, any advice should be great. I was thinking apply to NYU, but i think it will impossible to me to get in there, they require 3.0 gpa minimum. Any help? Any success story with a low gpa getting into a msw program? 

Honestly, I wish I could be more help, but I think you won’t know until you try? I know there are MSW programs that will accept students with a GPA lower than 3.0 if you take the GRE, which you have done, but I don’t know if NYU is one of them. I wish I could be of more assistance, but my situation is kind of the opposite (decent GPA, not much experience). 

I applied to cal states because I live in ca but if you live on the east coast I am not sure how it is. However, the csu's really look at the last 60 semester units.  So if other schools follow that then I would try going back to school at like a community college and take classes relating to social work and try to raise your gpa so you can apply to msw programs for the following year. But as the other gal said, you wont know until you try. Hope this helps!